MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Etudes for the 200e
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Etudes for the 200e
rlainhart
For those who weren't at NAMM, I'd like to mention another feature of the Buchla booth this year: "Etudes for the 200e - A compilation of pieces by users of the Buchla 200e". Buchla was giving them away at the show, and the discs will also be available for sale on their website, as I understand it.

I'm pleased to say that I have two tracks on the compilation, in company with such eminent Wigglers as Alessandro Cortini, Lyonel Bauchet, Damon Mori, Joe Pascarell, Jon Schatz, Todd Barton, and Giorgio Sancristofori.

Peake
Congrats! That's a must-have...
Tobor
yeeeeeee I'm so proud I'm there
and honored yeah
Guinness ftw! Rockin' Banana! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! applause

congrats to all the partecipating Buchlans
dougcl
Ha ha. Me too. Rockin' Banana!
Lyonel
I think i will buy this one. smokin'
Kent
I've been listening to this like mad after Jon gave me one at the show. It's a great disk, with something for everyone.

Just tonight, before the jet-lag forced me to bed whilst playing with my new system, I was thinking about the bass notes in Mr. Lainhart's "Lines in Sand" track. Both of his tracks are superb and I don't have a favorite (yet) on the disk as the body of work within is so good. The violin-esque sounds are also fantastic.
Congratulations to all the contributors. Nice solid pieces, gents. A good turn by everyone.

Clap

Funny story: I'm driving into Hamburg in order to pick up the keys to my new apartment and I see a co-worker waiting at the bus stop. I pull over and it turns out he's going to pretty much exactly the same location as I am.
Modular music has become so 'normal' and every day in my life now that I don't even think about it any more. It's often on my stereo in the car or on my laptop when rocking the hotels.
It was the first time that I had invited someone into my little world and after being polite for the first minute or so, I could see a most curious look on his face. The music was rather low in volume and we were conversing at the same time. However, there were some moments of 259e aliasing and other non-linear screeches bouncing about the vehicle. I could see the puzzlement and strange look and I simply made a casual gesture and turned off the music so that we could continue our conversation in a more focused manner.
I'll never forget the increasingly puzzled changes of expression. Something along the lines of "What is this I'm hearing?" "Is he playing music?". Non of it judgmental in any way; simply befuddled. I'll remember that for some time.

Buchla 222e
Badr0b0t
screaming goo yo

Thats so sweet! I can't wait to get a copy. I find all your music and videos inspiring.
citizen mori
oo my real name is revealed!
rlainhart
citizen mori wrote:

You know, I wasn't sure about that, because the liner notes say "Damon Mori". I uploaded the disc info to the Gracenote CD database yesterday, and used Damon Mori as your artist and composer name, for what it's worth.

There are several discrepancies between the back cover notes and the liner notes, I'm afraid. I had to make some guesses about correct spelling and track names in some cases. I hope I got them right.
rlainhart
Kent wrote:
Just tonight, before the jet-lag forced me to bed whilst playing with my new system, I was thinking about the bass notes in Mr. Lainhart's "Lines in Sand" track. Both of his tracks are superb...

Thanks, Kent - it's very kind of you to say so.
x2mirko
Does anyone know if there will there be some option of buying it online as mp3/flac/ogg/whatever? I don't really want to get data shipped on a cd from the states over to europe, when there are so much easier ways of distribution. Would like to listen to this, though hmmm.....
citizen mori
rlainhart wrote:
citizen mori wrote:

You know, I wasn't sure about that, because the liner notes say "Damon Mori". I uploaded the disc info to the Gracenote CD database yesterday, and used Damon Mori as your artist and composer name, for what it's worth.

There are several discrepancies between the back cover notes and the liner notes, I'm afraid. I had to make some guesses about correct spelling and track names in some cases. I hope I got them right.

i appreciate that, richard.

does Gracenote publish to discogs?
apfEID
wish I'd known about this before hand, would have sent a friend to fetch one for me... look forward to hearing it eventually.
rlainhart
citizen mori wrote:
does Gracenote publish to discogs?

Good question - I can't seem to find an answer. I'll wait a couple of days and check, and if not, I'll upload the data myself.
Entrainer
I want a copy!

It's not on the Buchla site.
Nelson Baboon
Damn. No Don Hassler?
amnesia
Wish I had been asked :-(
Would have loved to submit a track. Every YouTube vid of mine has full length recordings soon to be released on VICMOD Records.
At least I have a track on the Serge 2009 compilation CD and EMS compilation CD

Interested to hear this release :-)
rlainhart
The CD is now listed in the latest Buchla price list ($5) and is available via the website.
Votek_Mendo
Anyone can help me locate where i can buy or listen to this CD?

I,m mostly looking for music piece done by Joe Pascarell on the Buchla system If you have any other links that would be awesome. I have watched all his YouTube stuff, pretty amazing sounds, love the style.

Thanks!
Reed
"Etudes" is such a condescending term. It does such a disservice to Alessandro, Lainhart (R.I.P.), Joe and Lyonel, all true musicians. Hats off to the other guys for being in the right place at the right time.
Kent
Reed, this is the 2nd time that I've read you being a judgmental arbiter of "true" musical talent? What's your game here? It certainly is a strange way of being back-handedly shitty.
Villarceau
Removed by myself because not relevant to the thread.
vgermuse
Reed wrote:
"Etudes" is such a condescending term. It does such a disservice to Alessandro, Lainhart (R.I.P.), Joe and Lyonel, all true musicians. Hats off to the other guys for being in the right place at the right time.

Then there are those etudes by Schaeffer, Kagel, Stravinsky, Rzewski,
Chopin, Legiti, Jean-Claude Risset, Simo Lazarov and of course, Stockhausen...

not bad company. . .for Alessandro, Lainhart, Joe and Lyonel... :-)
Reed
My (non) sincerest apologies to Barton and the guy with narcissistic personality disorder. You clearly belong in the company of Chopin and Rzewski, especially if deemed so by the on-the-spectrum fellow who released such un-notable LP's as "Together in Performance" and did embarrassing displays at Merkin concert hall in the 90s. There must be something wrong with me if i feel like vomiting when you graze your index finger over a 112 keyboard the way anyone does when they first get their hands on a Buchla system. God bless you for repeating a tried and true racket. I hope you make a hatful.

Letter from Mel Powell to Morton Subotnick in the "Touch" liner notes in 1969:

"I'll try to shake out of my head the after-images of some dreadful tape pieces a couple of red-eyed tyros insisted on playing for me the other day. You know the kind of thing I mean: the old bromides, dopey sound, imbecilic composition, and even the archetypal program note about 'infinite possibilities.' That last item I thought had certainly had its day by now, and I mentioned to one of the culprits that the deep charm of electronic music composition is its perilously limited array of options... testing the ear, experience, knowledge, taste, skill of a composer in a way that allows camouflage about as generously as does, say, writing madrigals for unaccompanied voices."

And yes, Kent, I do have opinions about who has talent and who doesn't. Don't we all? Try making a living doing music. Or is that too arbitrary? Have you ever been in the position of hiring people?

I'll keep being shitty. Take care of yourself Han, I guess that's what you're best at.
Kent
Sweet! Reed is going to post some of his music here. I'm looking forward to it.

====
Reed, I (quite) sincerely find your post to be amusing. The pop-culture references balanced with high-falootin' words and sentence structure. It was like reading a wine étiquette. Il y a une odeur de quelque choses.

Nobody stated that anyone else isn't allowed to have an opinion. Why set up and then attack that straw man? Opinions are fine. However, there are ways to deliver any kind of message. My opinion is that yours sucks. And what does making a living doing music have to do with the discussion? I don't have to be a cinematographer in order to think that Star Wars Episode I was a steaming pile.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Pot, Kettle, Black.

On a separate note, I've always found the use of the term "étude" to be pompous in that it tries to give an air of legitimacy to what could also be called "plonking around" or "discoveries". These are perfectly good and laudable things, mind you. However, when non-French speakers appropriate a term that simply means 'a study', the use of the word comes off as an attempt to clothe something in that which is shouldn't be seeking. It's kind of like a shell game and seems huckster-ish.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2