MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Filtrex 2 build help
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Filtrex 2 build help
joechip
Hi All,

Been lurking on here for sometime and bought some Oakley boards a while back and I am now in the process of building a stereo Filtrex 2.

Checked all caps/diodes/ICs orientation ok, did have c10 wrong way, fixed and on initial power up had a short which was causing u15 to run hot, repaired and all ok now. Bal/trim pots 500k/10k respectively.

Completed first board build and tested on its own connected to input source, unit powers up ok (using 15AC adapter to pins ac1/ac2). Input signal lights trig/peak LED, LFO rate LED lights and rate can be adjusted. However, no apparent filtering going on, freq/res/fizz/smooth pots have no effect. Dry/wet knob fully clockwise no sound, anti-clockwise passes dry signal through unit fine. gain pot adjustment fine too.

I have spares for 2nd board so changed u2/u3/u4 no change.

A pretty basic building knowledge, built some MFOS stuff, x0xbox and monome. No scope here, only a meter for testing.

Any help for things to start checking would be most appreciated, as no schematics here.

Joe
Synthbuilder
Dead filter probably. And the most probable cause is a dead resonance pot.

But make yourself an audio probe and see if you can spot where the signal is being lost. For a quick lash up audio probe see article here:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/debug.html

If you need Filtrex schematics e-mail me.

Tony
joechip
Thanks for the reply Tony, I did something similar for the x0xb0x, will give it a check and get back if I need schematics.

Thanks again,

Joe
joechip
loosing the signal after r33

just in case it helps, all filter/res/fizz/smooth/lfo rate adjustments etc can all be heard so they are all ok.

The filter sounds amazing by the way, if I can only get the signal to the wet/dry pot I'm in heaven.

Any help/schematic much appreciated.

Joe
Synthbuilder
joechip wrote:
schematic much appreciated.

E-mail me.

Tony
joechip
Schematic request email sent.

Thanks,

Joe
joechip
Tony,

Got the schematics and the problem was r40, knew something around r38-40 was up but just couldn't quite work it out without the schematic.

Now the fun really begins, getting the 2 boards to run in stereo. Got myself a 3U rack and planning on mounting all the jacks and extra switches on the front panel.

Just to add, now I can hear it through the main out the Filtrex 2 sounds really, really nice. great job on the design. Mellower than my Sherman but in a good way, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Many Thanks,

Joe
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1