MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Historical BugBrand Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author Historical BugBrand Thread
Muff Wiggler
Hey, since all the focus is deservedly on the BugModular, I thought I would start a thread about some of Tom's other devices... I don't know what the future holds for non-modular BugGear, but I can say that one of the many things that appeal to me about Tom's work is that it is ever changing, and after making a small run, he changes, improves, shifts gears....

Now I have to say that for me personally, it was a really proud moment when Tom opened up the idea of having a forum here. My interest in BugBrand goes WAAAAY back.....

...in fact, I had been checking out his work, and even owned my first piece, long long before I ever became interested in modular stuff! Years before this forum (or my synth) had even become a thought, I had gotten really stoked on BugBrand.

And.... wow, how cool is this, I actually think my early-generation ICONsWeevil is probably the very first piece of electronics I had ever bought that was not mass-produced. Certainly the first piece of handmade electronics I ever owned.

I don't know where I first heard of BugBrand, it was years ago. Sorta feels like I always just knew about the stuff....

Anyway, as stated the early generation Weevils really caught my eye and struck a chord with me. I really liked Tom's website and his style - a real DIY/sharing ethic going on, and the fact that this was such unique stuff to me had a strong appeal, and that it was hand-made was a million times cooler....

Now what really grabbed me was what also grabs me about Wiard. I like devices. I like electronics. I also really like art, in its many forms. I think it's enormously important.

one thing that BugBrand and Wiard both had in common was this merger of art, design and technology. That to me is far more personal and far more compellling that a device that was designed to do what it looks like it should do (I don't know if that makes any sense...)

Someone said it recently about Wiard - something along the lines of "I figure, if he's going to the trouble to DECORATE these things, they must really mean a lot to him and must be something special"

I totally agree.....

anyway, the Weevils of that generation had touch plates in the image of different things - words, bugs, etc. Tom was making Weevil wall art! Pictures in frames that were buggy, buzzy touchplates. I think that's so wonderful.

So, I became a fan right away. When a very limited number of ICONsWeevils were made available, I snapped one up right away - of all the designs, this was the one that grabbed me the most, and it's something I still enjoy a great deal, and remains one of my children's favorite devices to use as well.

Here's the ICONsWeevil....

When I got it, I actually got in touch with Tom to ask if he would consider making a 'partner' for it, a very similar device with a 'woman' on it (think the triangle-shaped dress you see on the icon for a woman's restroom - that's what I had in mind). Tom was totally into the idea, but for some reason (given the time in my life, it was probably money-related!) it all sort of fizzled on my end. Sorry Tom!

So that was my introduction to hand-made, artistic electronics. Something that has remained a primary interest, and put me on the path leading to my modular synth addiction. Now it's all come full circle, and BugBrand has now introduced the most exciting new modular synth in a very very long time indeed. On my forum no less! Amazing how things work out...

I have another 'older' BugBrand device, although not nearly as old as the Weevil. I was really into his BugCrusher idea, and a big part of the fun with Tom is watching the ideas grow - the devices adding knobs and functions (and sometimes losing them!) from one run to the next....

Anyway I kept missing out, and luckily I trust fate, because when I was able to snag one, it was the one I wanted the most out of all the BugCrusher generations, the One-Knob MicroCrusher. This thing is just way way way too awesome. And it takes any input level! Output level equals input level. Just as happy with a guitar or a modular synth.

I figure the moduar version of the BugCrusher is gonna crush circles around this stompbox version, still this lovely little box will always have a special place in my rig.

Anyone else have some cool non-modular BugBrand gear to show off?
vurt
you knows it!
i have a postcard weevil
a bugcrusher (the bigger stomp)
and i managed to get the crusher eye too...
hoping to add a workshop kit too one day

no cam or anywhere to put pics at the moment though.
Muff Wiggler
i can't help with the cam vurt, but you CAN upload pics, sounds, etc (anything really) directly to the forum when you post 8)
vurt
ill dig the cam out in the morning then.
SlayerBadger!

may even knock up some noises evil
flippantminister
i have been super wanting a postcard weevil. oh damn this economy! i know they are cheap, but i am brokeville USA. well, technically i am not now, but i am trying to stay prepared for the possibility of that occurring... i have put one in my cart and almost checked out about 3 times in the past week. maybe one day i will accidentally finish the transaction.
whyterabbyt
Assuming I ever locate my camera, I'll post up pictures of my AudioWeevil07, and my BugCrusher pedal (and eye).

The AudioWeevil has sorta become the box that follows me around the house; I'll pick it up when Im bored, when Im sat in front room and want to annoy t'girlie in the middle of NCIS, right through to when Im checking out newly-acquired effects pedals or plugins, to check cabling and routing, mangling drum rhythms, or just playing... I need to get around to sampling some of the bugger too.
On Monday i'll hopefully be using it to test out a Lexicon Vortex.

I really wish I'd managed to get hold of one of the old cigarbix weevils. The first time my attention was drawn to Bugbrand was when I saw one of them up on ebay.co.uk, but I could afford it at the time. Eventually I was lucky enough to get one of the eight AW07's made.

Ultimately, I'd kinda like to get a wooden case made up for it, and something like brass touchplates, and see if I can pursuade Tom to rehouse it; I feel it kinda deserves a more fitting case than the simple plastic box its in...

I could, in all honesty, give up the BC if I had one in a BugModular. But not the Audioweevil.
GCF
Where are pics of other ICONsWeevils? I would really like to see the full collection that was available. Thanks.
BugBrand
Thanks for the memories, Mike and others!

GCF wrote:
Where are pics of other ICONsWeevils? I would really like to see the full collection that was available. Thanks.

Ah yes -- well, I've still got quite a lot of sorting / shifting / re-arranging of all the old bugsite. (sometime) soon I will get more of the archive areas filled in.
vurt
whyterabbyt wrote:
AudioWeevil

cry
i missed out on those, so im hoping maybe the modular weevil may offer similar function?
although im not sure ill be giving up my stomp bugcrusher, id like to keep the modular bubbling away while i shred the axe through the bugcrusher SlayerBadger!
shamann
Alas, not the most dazzling photo, but these are mine, a desktop version of the Bugcrusher08 and an Audioweevil08 (from the second batch, done in the black box rather than the brown).

Roycie Roller
The Audio Weevil looks like a cool little machine.
KNYST
Some of my friends... (yes, I still have some human friends but they don't look too good on photo)

Always in my standard set up: a green Weevil08 and a black sloped AudioWeevil08.
Obviously, they are very different from each other. The AW08 is an extremely versatile unit, and has that wonderful Wasp filter.
The touch panel is maybe the greatest thing of all!
The Weevil08 is a lot simpler, but has 3 osc's which makes it sing beautifully. Just as its big brother, it works great for drones.
I find it to be the more chaotic one - the power starve makes the osc's to freak out completely. Quite evil actually 8)
And yes, I am one of those 'crazy' meh people who connect my Bugs to a PSU. Tinfoil Hat

(bottom left is an unassembled Workshop Osc Machine kit... no time yet)

[image updated]
shamann
KNYST wrote:
(bottom left is an unassembled Workshop Osc Machine kit... no time yet)

Pic appears to be in a private directory, doesn't show here.
shamann
All better now. It's interesting how different the Weevil and Audioweevil are. I really love the look of the black/red AW08, Tom's best I think.

How doesn't using a PSU shock/harm you?
KNYST
shamann wrote:

How doesn't using a PSU shock/harm you?

Well, they're supposed to run on 9Volt batteries (1x9V and 6x1,5V respectively), so I use a 9V PSU. As I see it: as long as the PSU doesn't break, you're good (it will only send 9V) - and if it breaks it will most likely not be able to deliver any power. But I can't recommend it to anyone as Tom doesn't. wink
BugBrand
Yeah, I say not to use power-packs 'cos that's rule number one of circuit bending.

Hey, I just remembered an old shop in Milan who used to take some bug devices - there's quite a few pics and stuff of Weevils from 2006.

www.soundmetak.com

spbaker
mr bugs has been a big part of my music history spending a whole bunch of aussie dollars (the £ to $ has always been nasty) on one of the first weevils which i still have today. i've thought of selling it a few times but just can't do it, i love my orange box love

indexofmetals
tom, whatever happened to that yellow sound installation that was at the hospital? I got my yellow weevil from that project (as did Muff)
BugBrand
spbaker wrote:
mr bugs has been a big part of my music history spending a whole bunch of aussie dollars (the £ to $ has always been nasty) on one of the first weevils which i still have today. i've thought of selling it a few times but just can't do it, i love my orange box :love:

Oh my god! That box is pretty much what gave me the boost to get going! From the first 'batch' of Weevils. I'd done six of them, if I remember right, sold five to various people around me and then put the last on EBay --- it went NUTS and, as I was at that point on the dole (unemployed and looking for work) I started to think more about whether box-building may be the way to go.....
Thanks!!!

indexofmetals wrote:
tom, whatever happened to that yellow sound installation that was at the hospital? I got my yellow weevil from that project (as did Muff)

Ah yes - the Sonic Post! (it was actually a wooden case rather than yellow) - last year I hacked the box apart 'cos it was taking up far too much room... But I keep all the electronics (minus the Doepfer CV to Midi which ran things -- ie. nord MicroModular) and they now hang on the wall of my workshop.

again on this stuff I need to dig back and get some more archive material onto my new site... time time time...
sandyb
snap! (i think)
i just bought this from analogue haven - couldn't resist.

sandyb
sungja wrote:
Same design as mine except u got two LEDs and I got one.

U got some good sounds out of it..??

These were the Noisefx Weevils in `06, I think there where 5 in this design.

Beautiful..!! love

it hasn't arrived yet so no sounds at the moment but i've enjoyed my postcard weevil a lot so i'm sure this one will be fun too.
indexofmetals
a few pics of bugbrand items I've got (a pic of the 3 rack modular is already up)

- old touchplate weevil - sold in batch of ten (mine's no 1) when Tom had an installation up a London Hospital (I think Muff's got one of these as well)
- a more recent weevil with an internal speaker
- a prototype looping sampler built into a cigar box. a few years ago Tom and I were talking about lofi looping sampler pedals (like the Zvex one) and it seemed like an explored area with the potential for longer sample times. Tom was clearing out some stuff and was generous enough to let me have it. Last time I tried it out it was no longer working but I'll have to try it again or get a friend of mine to take a look at it to see if he can mend it .

I forgot to take pictures of the ring mod box but I'll make a note to do that. I've also got one of the board weevils & bugcrusher pedal. Can't have enough bugs!
MicroFi
KNYST wrote:
And yes, I am one of those 'crazy' meh people who connect my Bugs to a PSU. Tinfoil Hat

Do you use some kind of battery-to-PSU-adapter or ... ?
I'd love to find a similar solution for my cracklebox, as I'm one of those people who forget to turn off their devices and ends up with empty batteries all the time very frustrating
KNYST
MicroFi wrote:
Do you use some kind of battery-to-PSU-adapter or ... ?
I'd love to find a similar solution for my cracklebox, as I'm one of those people who forget to turn off their devices and ends up with empty batteries all the time very frustrating

For my Weevil08 I use a simple battery-to-PSU adapter Tom made.
I sometimes use a Visual Sound 1-Spot battery-to-PSU adapter, which is a bit trickier to attach, but works fine. (Visual Sound make a wonderful 1.7A PSU, btw).
I modded the Audioweevil: it now has a PSU connector.
I can't really recommend any of this, as it's not the way to go with 'hands-on' circuit-bending, but it works fine for me :-)
(see my previous posts in this thread)

For the WOM I still use a battery. Only reason: portability
MicroFi
KNYST wrote:
I sometimes use a Visual Sound 1-Spot battery-to-PSU adapter, which is a bit trickier to attach, but works fine. (Visual Sound make a wonderful 1.7A PSU, btw).

Sounds exactly like what I've been looking for SlayerBadger!
Thanks for the tip, knyst!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1