V-Picks

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

Post Reply
User avatar
Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot
Posts: 3107
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: SF Bay Area

V-Picks

Post by Kwote » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:40 am

I first saw one at Plord's. but didn't think much of it. found it again randomly online. short story short, i bought a few and they RULE!!

http://v-picks.com/

my favorite so far being the shredder but the freakishly large has the fattest tone.

Image

Image
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

User avatar
Kent
Large Member
Posts: 11615
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:17 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Post by Kent » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:29 pm

I've been using larger triangular plexi picks for years. Shit... 20 of 'em so far. The ones that I made are beveled a bit differently but are pretty much the same as shown in the top photo.

The thicker the pick, the fatter the tone. It's true. Changing picks is the best 'studio EQ' out there.

User avatar
Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot
Posts: 3107
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: SF Bay Area

Post by Kwote » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:21 am

Kent wrote:I've been using larger triangular plexi picks for years. Shit... 20 of 'em so far. The ones that I made are beveled a bit differently but are pretty much the same as shown in the top photo.

The thicker the pick, the fatter the tone. It's true. Changing picks is the best 'studio EQ' out there.
pics or CIUYA
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

User avatar
dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs
Posts: 9138
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: LA

Post by dkcg » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:41 am

I love my Dunlop Jazz3 picks. With a sharp point. Nothing worse feeling to me than a flimsy pick, I'd rather just fingerpick at that point.

User avatar
plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler
Posts: 1778
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:52 am
Location: Charlotte, VT

Post by plord » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:06 am

I used the 3mm Big Stubbys for a while, picked up a few V-picks a while back and still alternate. The V-picks have the most precise attack, it's very striking (no pun intended). They are also damn near indestructible. I've been whacking one against some pretty heavy strings (.56 - .12, wound third) for 6 months or more and it looks brand new.

User avatar
Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon
Posts: 4490
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:38 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post by Soy Sos » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:11 pm

I've been using those purple 1.14mm Dunlop Tortex for like 25
years. Nothing else really feels right for some reason.
I guess you just get used to it.

User avatar
Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot
Posts: 3107
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: SF Bay Area

Post by Kwote » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:21 pm

i want to get the Psycho Shredder next.

Image
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

User avatar
Muff Wiggler
wait, what?
Posts: 7815
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:19 pm

Post by Muff Wiggler » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:14 pm

i cannot use a guitar pick

i use my thumb mostly (like Knopfler!) and a bit of fingers sometimes

User avatar
Kent
Large Member
Posts: 11615
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:17 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Post by Kent » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:48 pm

Think I'm frontin'?


:sb: Image

User avatar
Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou
Posts: 2882
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:13 pm
Location: next to Serious Fun!

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:35 pm

Muff Wiggler wrote:i cannot use a guitar pick

i use my thumb mostly (like Knopfler!) and a bit of fingers sometimes
hardly touch 'em myself...i have been using a US quarter for leads a bit but mostly thumb and first two fingers...

User avatar
dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs
Posts: 9138
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: LA

Post by dkcg » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:43 pm

ross g wrote:
Muff Wiggler wrote:i cannot use a guitar pick

i use my thumb mostly (like Knopfler!) and a bit of fingers sometimes
hardly touch 'em myself...i have been using a US quarter for leads a bit but mostly thumb and first two fingers...
Nice! I tried coins, but just not pointy enough. I had a couple silver picks I made in a jewelery class in college, but they didn't feel right and would wear funny, but my favorite non-musical musical object, sears craftsman sparkplug socket for my favorite slide. :)

User avatar
felix
Loves the manuals!
Posts: 3865
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:05 am
Location: San Jose, CA

Post by felix » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:58 pm

I used to play 2.0 dunlop "gator grip" picks using the rounded edge, for purely stupid reasons, not tone. I still have my first pick, around my neck.

I can play with almost anything now, but prefer medium range sizes, not real thin, but not thick either. For me I need it to flex a tiny bit.

I have a bunch of Wedgie picks
http://www.wedgie.com/

I got them from a dude I met back when they were based in Campbell.
dress yourself for the public. you now must exit your home and acquire a dental mirror and lubrication!
i recommend a hat, or a helmet. if a helmet, ensure that it is both convincing and unbiased. -citizen mori
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/78959
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/225002
https://jimdrones.bandcamp.com

User avatar
Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot
Posts: 3107
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: SF Bay Area

Post by Kwote » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:56 pm

felix wrote:I used to play 2.0 dunlop "gator grip" picks using the rounded edge, for purely stupid reasons, not tone. I still have my first pick, around my neck.

I can play with almost anything now, but prefer medium range sizes, not real thin, but not thick either. For me I need it to flex a tiny bit.

I have a bunch of Wedgie picks
http://www.wedgie.com/

I got them from a dude I met back when they were based in Campbell.
interesting. pretty sporty :hihi:
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

User avatar
wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7673
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:31 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark.

Post by wetterberg » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:07 pm

a bass player, I used a big brown Dunlop felt pick for a while, hehe. Yes, felt. neat.

*if* it was called for I used 2mm sort of semi-triangular ones, can't recall the type.

Post Reply

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”