MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Coil
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next [all]
Author Coil
parasitk
Yep. I love 'em. I know there are other Coil fans here so here's a thread about them!

Lately I've been really heavily into the later era (Moon Musick) stuff. Listening to it non stop.

I've really been obsessing over the hard drone triptych on Constant Shallowness Leads to Evil (Beige/Lowest Common Abominator/Free Base Chakra). I had guessed it was a Serge (those wave mults) and after seeing Analog Suicide's interview with Thighpaulsandra I think I was at least close – those Wave Multipliers are most likely being used!

syncretism
Fair play to Thighpaul for getting the Serge and Synton in what looks like the same rack. The Fenix is something like 20" wide, IIRC, and much to everyone's chagrin. I almost dropped all of my free money on a Fenix over the summer, but a few of the modules needed attention from someone like Kevin Leitner, and I couldn't justify the added cost for repairs. Too bad; that would have been really nice to have.
spbaker
its Time Machines & ANS for me with Constant Shallowness coming in for the trifecta, oh who am i kidding how can you pick?! big BIG influence, i'm just so bummed i came to them so late in my musical history, but there was a fabulous synchronicity discovering them while i was living in london, walking around those ancient streets on winter days listening to coil albums....
coil is prescribed 3 times a day after meals!! SlayerBadger!
syncretism
I still like Astral Disaster a lot, too.
Babaluma
i am a huge fan of all their work, i have most of it. they have been hugely influential on me as both musicians and magickians. my favourite album of theirs since it came out has been "black antlers". i got he vinyl version of "the ape of naples/the new backwards" last year, and was also lucky enough to score a new copy of the signed live box when it was still available. there'll never be anyone like them again. i guess it was just time for john to move on to better places.
plord
The Black Light District stuff really works for me. I almost OD'd on Love's Secret Domain back in the day. And agree completely on Time Machines.
sandyb
spbaker wrote:
its Time Machines & ANS for me with Constant Shallowness coming in for the trifecta, oh who am i kidding how can you pick?! big BIG influence, i'm just so bummed i came to them so late in my musical history, but there was a fabulous synchronicity discovering them while i was living in london, walking around those ancient streets on winter days listening to coil albums....
coil is prescribed 3 times a day after meals!! SlayerBadger!

+1 on time machines and ANS! i was lucky enough to see them doing time machines live at the royal festival hall in london, complete with fluffy teddy bear suits!
parasitk
I love ANS, but I really have to be in the mood for it.

I really wish I had seen them when they performed in NYC. I still can't believe I missed it. very frustrating
rezzn8r
I used to have a copy of scatology on vinyl. I'd get a real kick out of other people's reactions to the cover art (and music too).
I think Gold Is the Metal might be my all round fav
Roycie Roller
I love 'Astral Disaster' a lot. My favourite part is 'The Sea Priestess'- it's so dark, gothic and moving. Sends chills down the spine. Not particularly the sibilant vocals, but the keyboard parts, especially the ending.
I also love the 'Unnatural History' series, and 'Scatology'.
My biggest regret is not buying a 4x clear 7" vinyl set of the 'Solstice' series of recordings- it's brilliant work.
A good friend of mine owns everything they've done (including all of the early work on vinyl).
Audio Resistance
You can not forget how beautifull the Hellraiser album is, and the cool commercial spots on the backside. Horse Rotorvater would probably be my favorite but LSD is right up there.

I have a large vinyl collection from them that I started in 1988 and I do not think there is much I have missed. However Coil shit can be hell on the collector, what with all the purchase direct from them they had going on.

I wondered where that different sound came from on the Moon Music stuff untill I saw those Analogue Suicides stuff. It seems pretty clear that Thighpaulsandra brought a hell of alot to the table when he joined them. Those Synton's where all over those albums. I wish I knew more about there gear, they have always seemed a bit cagey about it. I know Sleazy was using a Persephone and a Flame Midi Talking synth with TG on tour.

This photo showed up on wiki a couple years ago that is around the ELPH releases.

thetwlo
wow... feeling old... I got Scatology on vinyl in '85. Not sure what my fav is, it's all been great. Sad, that he's gone and Sleazy's new stuff seems to lack something.
I liked thighpaulsandra with Julian Cope as well. Sleazy is all about computers and Thai boys. Scatology was Emulator II mostly. And now we have Sleazy + Coh= Soisong, not so impressed thus far. Coh is another fav so hopefully it'll come together.
Babaluma
anyone seen this yet?

great stuff.
eyehue
Definitely one of my all-time favorites. I'm also really into TG and Chris & Cosey. Sleazy is using more than just computers and boys theses days, recent TG gear has included Flame MIDI Talking Synth, Bugbrand Postcard Weevil and a ribbon controller.
thetwlo
yeah, i just wasn't so impressed with a live thing i heard recently, where Sleazy use the Eno iphone app and it just really stood out. Before hearing that i loved that app but really thought there's no way I could use it... then he did.... poor judgement, I think, as it still sound like Eno. This was the Brainwashed podcast. Still i think he needs someone else to work with, hopefully the Soisong thing will prove that.
tj
sandyb wrote:
i was lucky enough to see them doing time machines live at the royal festival hall in london, complete with fluffy teddy bear suits!

i went to that show too. mind-blowingly awesome. SlayerBadger!
rezzn8r
mmmmm...gristleizer

http://www.throbbing-gristle.com/gristleizer/index.html we're not worthy
Reese P. Dubin
My all time faves...even tho Jhon screwed me on a big trade.

I pretty much love it all, every stage has its virtues, even the heavily Danny Hyded mid 90's. The Time Machines LP is by far my favorite strait forward synth drone record.

I would have to say tho that Gold is the Metal is my personal best record.
Suburban Bather
Reese P. Dubin wrote:

I pretty much love it all, every stage has its virtues, even the heavily Danny Hyded mid 90's. The Time Machines LP is by far my favorite strait forward synth drone record.

Shit! did he nail you on the fact that you are obtaining gear used by Coil or something? I hope the cut wasn't too deep.

I'm still pissed about the way J. Balance died. Drunk and fell over a handrail, WTF!!!

Coil recordings are expensive as fuck! Wanna trade? I've got a handful, maybe not so rare but try me anyways. Shoot me a PM.
richardm123uk
I started listening to Coil in my early teens just after Scatology came out. They remain my favourite band who helped shape my most tender years. Incredible.

They had integrity unlike many. There live period was a wonder.

I was lucky enough to meet Jhon (and drink with him) on a number of occasions when I lived in London and he was a great chap. He died the day I got married. A great loss.
Reese P. Dubin
Suburban Bather wrote:
Reese P. Dubin wrote:

Shit! did he nail you on the fact that you are obtaining gear used by Coil or something? I hope the cut wasn't too deep.

Nah it was a trade for what was then precious items to them against loads of records, which I never got. I spoke to Peter in person regarding it in 2003, but then Jhon up and died and if I remember from a good western movie " if you had a deal with him it died with him!"

I have pretty much everything they ever did, but super fancy special ebay editions would have been nice too!

Oh well...
vav
Favorite band, hands down. Has been since i was about 12 or so.
Reese P. Dubin
Spent a few of the last days seeing TG, very heavy Sleazy Coilish component to the sound.

great fun.
KNYST
Coil is among the top 10 bands ever, no doubt!

my favourites:
Love's Secret Domain
Stolen & Contaminated Songs
Worship The Glitch
Spring Equinox: Moon's Milk Or Under An Unquiet Skull
Summer Solstice: Bee Stings
Autumn Equinox: Amethyst Deceivers
Winter Solstice: North
Queens Of The Circulating Library
The Remote Viewer
...And The Ambulance Died In His Arms
The Ape Of Naples
Mt. Analogue
Growing up in rural north Georgia, my first exposure to Coil was when i was about 14-15, through the Wax Trax! Black Box (thanks, Mom and Dad!) After that, "Time Machines" was my first actual purchase, which still remains my favorite. I bought it solely on the descriptions of the album, not exactly knowing what I was getting into. After that, a friend gave me the "How to Destroy Angels" CD, and the shit just got deeper from there.

There is nothing else like Coil.

I have to say that these days, I get a real kick from the Solstice/Equinox series, esp. "North" (the track "Magnetic North" most of all.) "Remote Viewer" and "Stolen and Contaminated" are pretty high up there for me as well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next [all]
Page 1 of 24