MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Building a big desk
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author Building a big desk
BugBrand
I thought I'd share what I've been up to this weekend - working on a desk.

No... not that sort of desk!

This sort:

(the figure 'in the window' is just part of the local Stokes Croft visuality - a big anti-Tesco wall painting)

All part of the master plan for lots of desk space in the new studio room. I want to get everything set up nicely and have in two days increased my deskspace by a factor of about 400%!

There's still quite a lot of work to do - tidying, varnishing, shelving, powering and wiring! More pics as it progresses, but I'm quite pleased with the work this weekend!
ignatius
nice! i just rearranged my studio and would love it if i had big ass tables like those linked together.

enjoy the new digs!
infradead
whoa

busy weekend.

this is making me really dislike the huge 80's banker desk i use in my studio.
its hideous.

nice looking desk you have there.
BugBrand
Cheers - I'm a sucker when it comes to putting in 'infrastructure' - and always best to for the base of the studio to be solid with plenty of space.

I did something quite similar downstairs in the workshop - and, again, it was an absolute priority for me to get in decent desks before adding anything else. I'd initially had a look around for off-the-shelf desks, but couldn't find anything right, so DIY was going to be the only way. For the workshop I got 4 x 8 sheets and cut them to size (had to do it downstairs as when we tried carrying the big sheets up the stairs we got totally stuck!). This time I custom ordered cut sheets of plywood (looks pretty nice) and built the frame work / solid base from 2 x 3 wood braces and adjustable legs from Ikea. Had to have adjustable because the whole building is a little bit squiffy and I always work slightly rough'n'ready when building like this so it is good to be able just to adjust levels so that all surfaces are on the level.

Looking forward to getting everything else 'plumbed in'!
Popski
good job! Those looks great. nice n simple.
I made desks here for my set-up.. a totally satisfying endevour
Paradigm X
thumbs up
mckenic
Very nice!

Lots of space and light! thumbs up

Im always moving stuff around - feels like you just got new gear when you re-arrange it all! Keeps me from getting bored! Of course, my space is currently waiting for me to arrange it again after taking everything down and stopping in the middle of a re-arrange cry
KNYST
very spacious (at this point)! Looks great.

I'm jealous, no doubt.

Let me know when the opening jam session starts, and I'll bring my stuff hihi
mirri
pics be gone now :(
darenager
I can't see the pics either cry
sandyb
they're probably a victim of the dreamhost induced 4 day outage.
looks like they didn't make whatever backup dreamhost redid things from so will need to be re-uploaded - sorry Tom!
BugBrand
Oh no!

Will redo sometime.. and add some new ones..
BugBrand
Reloaded the images now - strangely, most of my upload images are still on the system (thankfully!) - only the more recent ones were lost.

Here's how things look now that I'm 'plumbing' everything in.

Believe me, once you've made up a couple of balanced cable snakes (26 cables today) you begin to wish that the whole studio could be banana based given the time taken to make the cables! Still got quite a few more cables to make in the coming days...

Sanded and varnished everything + added some shelves from cutoffs of the plywood sheets (bonus!). I made a couple of plinths for modular & korg so that the deskspace in front should be a bit more spacious. Now, more cabling still to do and then get the drum machines going. (oh, and think I may end up with a 1 frame euro-rack in one of the desk racks too - blasphemy, I know!)
darenager
Nice!

I am working on re-sorting mine (still) too lazy for sanding and varnish though so I got a kitchen worktop, my house is squiffy too so adjustable legs too hihi

Those cable hangers look good, I have a test lead one but it has a few too narrow sections and is not big enough - howsabout getting some nice blue bugbrand ones made up.

Talking of cables need to get some more - hey if you wanna trade some bananas for some jack looms give me a shout, I have quite a few spare in various lengths mono jack to mono jack (some are unused!)
FrankV
New space looking very nice. I'm going to be in a similar boat in the next couple of months - finally making my garage space livable - heat and A/C just went in this week. Somebody please remind me to take my time getting the groundwork done and 'just right' before pouring in synths!

BugBrand wrote:

(oh, and think I may end up with a 1 frame euro-rack in one of the desk racks too - blasphemy, I know!)

Heh, no problem: just say it's for "checking out the competition".

F
BugBrand
darenager wrote:
Those cable hangers look good, I have a test lead one but it has a few too narrow sections and is not big enough - howsabout getting some nice blue bugbrand ones made up.

Talking of cables need to get some more - hey if you wanna trade some bananas for some jack looms give me a shout, I have quite a few spare in various lengths mono jack to mono jack (some are unused!)

Cable Hangers -- yes, I certainly did think a few times about making my own (and, yes, doing them in Blue). It is kind of hard to compete with the Pomona ones at only £7.50 from RS - black ones for 1/4" cables, orange ones for bananas.

But they aren't quite perfect for my real desires - for bananas I'd prefer something with a little more space between rows, make the whole thing wider (more rows) and a little deeper too.

Cheers for the CableLoom offer but I'm DIYing them all so that I've got everything the right length and with connections I can be super confident of. Also the quantities don't quite fit with regular 8way looms - I've got 14s and 4s and 6s and all sorts...
a100user
Damn I would love a space that size, promptly followed by a desk that size.

Nice Tom, very nice.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1