MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

E440 Discrete OTA VCF : 2 ways to go
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next [all]
Author E440 Discrete OTA VCF : 2 ways to go
CF3
Got mine today from Control and all I can say is.. SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo we're not worthy nanners It's motherfucking bacon yo love
This filter sounds a-ma-zing. Fantastic build quality. Congrats Paul. Much like all your other modules this is an instant classic.

One tip: Definitely use an attenuator on the RES CV in, or your speakers will never forgive you.
waveglider
Got mine today as well! twisted
Really a thing of beauty sonically, aesthetically and electrically!
Such a great tone and plenty of options to mangle it if you want, it's all there.
I could turn the freq knob all day long...like butter.

Truly a work of passion, such great tools come from those who really believe in them. This community is amazing for this reason alone, no corporate bean counters or board of directors to screw with innovation, just pure, low-compromise design and well thought-out features packed in just a few HP.
we're not worthy
floormop
CF3 wrote:
Got mine today from Control and all I can say is.. SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo we're not worthy nanners It's motherfucking bacon yo love
This filter sounds a-ma-zing. Fantastic build quality. Congrats Paul. Much like all your other modules this is an instant classic.


Same here just picked one up. I was sold as soon as I Swept the Frequency of an incoming Cloud Generator Saw - above poster got it right - Smooth LIKE BUTTER.

Really a beautiful and precise filter, plus having the 2 FM Inputs really allow for some nice modulation. Has such an alive feeling to it and the build quality is great and always reliable with SynthTech stuff. The E440 is gonna compliment my Cwejman DMF-2 nicely!
kwaidan
I have really been impressed with everything I have purchased from Synthesis Technology (E350, E340, and E355) and will probably buy the E440, but I'd like to hear a few demos first. I've watched the two videos by Rice, but that's about it. Has anything popped up recently?
JohnLRice
kwaidan wrote:
I have really been impressed with everything I have purchased from Synthesis Technology (E350, E340, and E355) and will probably buy the E440, but I'd like to hear a few demos first. I've watched the two videos by Rice, but that's about it. Has anything popped up recently?


I did at least four! thumbs up

Thy Weapon Cometh

Dub Birds

Synth Tech E440 VCF Exploration

Basic Modular Synthesizer OTA VCF Comparison


That last one is a fail because, besides just seeing if I could get all of them (MOTM-440, E-440, Oakley COTA and Tip Top Z2040) to sound the same, which isn't very interesting, I totally forgot which filter was which and to list them! d'oh!
kwaidan
I forgot about the OTA comparison video, and I didn't know the Weapon one existed. I liked the Weapon video because it showed the filter in a song context. I also liked the Exploration video. I guess I am sort of scared of putting down three hundred for a filter. Often, I prefer not to use a filter at all, especially with Synthesis Technology oscillators and the Make Noise DPO. I have a Frequensteiner which works well with my AFG and M15, but the ST and MN oscillators don't sound so good using it. My other filter is an Optomix which is great for percussive sounds, but I'm looking for something that can modify sounds in a different way. I don't know how to explain it, but when I turn the frequency knob, I want to hear different sounds pop in and out. I also want a filter that modifies the tonal quality of a sound.
paults
Well, I think I listed these audio demos earlier, but here you go:

Recorder (guitar is sampled): http://synthtech.com/demo/motm_recorder.mp3

Middle Eastern duduk and electric bass (drums are samples):
http://synthtech.com/demo/d_reed.mp3

Lead w/high resonance (bass/drums sampled), just noodling around: http://synthtech.com/demo/440_solo.mp3

Openeing title track of Robert Rich's 'Atlas Dei' (real flute):
http://synthtech.com/demo/atlas_dei.mp3

Another 'complete' piece: http://synthtech.com/demo/neuralnet.mp3

{SPAM} All SynthTech modules have a lifetime warranty. If you buy it and don't like it, just return it. If you pay by credit card, federal law says you have to refund the purchase within 30 days {/SPAM}

I have sort of 'boring old white guy' musical tastes, so YMMV.
JohnLRice
The MOTM-440 is my "go-to" VCF in my 5U system and the E440 "would be" in my portable system, if I had one! cry hihi It's well worth the money! we're not worthy

[edit] sorry, posted in wrong thread! d'oh! Dead Banana
kwaidan
I'm sold!
dmod
kwaidan wrote:
I forgot about the OTA comparison video, and I didn't know the Weapon one existed. I liked the Weapon video because it showed the filter in a song context. I also liked the Exploration video. I guess I am sort of scared of putting down three hundred for a filter. Often, I prefer not to use a filter at all, especially with Synthesis Technology oscillators and the Make Noise DPO. I have a Frequensteiner which works well with my AFG and M15, but the ST and MN oscillators don't sound so good using it. My other filter is an Optomix which is great for percussive sounds, but I'm looking for something that can modify sounds in a different way. I don't know how to explain it, but when I turn the frequency knob, I want to hear different sounds pop in and out. I also want a filter that modifies the tonal quality of a sound.
Um ya! Filters can be game changers! Trust me a good east coast filter mixed in a system with some LPGs etc is the way to go. Lots of creative options is what it is all about! SlayerBadger! The 440 is a damn good one too!
komyta
My E440 arrived two days ago, after more than one year of expectation.

After several hours of use in various contexts I can say that the wait was worth it ! w00t
The 3 pole output is deliciously acid, and the 4 pole output is everything I like to find in a 4 pole filter, including a lovely resonance behaviour, very easy to adjust to my taste. Lotsa Love

Thank you Paul, this module is exactly what I needed ! This is fun!
haima
Good to hear. This filter is definitely top of my list!
komyta
Let's be honest :

The more I use it, the more I love it.

we're not worthy
brickman
Yeah , I was a little underwhelmed at first , but this things is really growing on me .

Would love to see the MOTM-480 making its way to eurorack.....
e-tekk
has someone a soundcloud audio or video example of this euro filter beside the demonstration from john l rice? i like to hear a bassy sequence where the filter is being modulated via sequencer or lfo or something else.
everybody seems to be like it, but i am not shure, whether this filter can sound so much different then the things i have in my case. hmmm..... i still have a micromac, frequensteiner, 106-5, amsynth snowfall and athena.

many thanks
itijik
I can probably get a demo up soon.

I have a Frequensteiner and a 106-5 as well. I can say that this filter adds more flexibility than those with the multiple outputs/responses, three types of CV inputs and the gain control. Its my "swiss army knife". But the sound all comes down to taste. For me they are different and interesting enough to keep them all.
If I had to choose one to keep, I would choose the E440...but the "Freq" would haunt my dreams hihi
paults
Quote:
Would love to see the MOTM-480 making its way to eurorack.....


Your wish is my command. Hope to have the new design "guts" working on a test board by the end of the month. After I finish the E370 Quad VCO breadboard layout (about 25% done as of today), next up are:

1) mods to the E102 Quad Temporal Shifter to be production-ready
2) start on the E480 layout (hopefully this will be production-ready, but it usually take 2 passes to get it 100% correct)
3) then start on the next (yet unannounced) all-analog module, which is stand-alone but can be thought of as 'companion' to the E440/E480. To be consistent in the numbering scheme with my 5U stuff, I guess this is the E710.
brickman
Wooohoo ! If you need someone to "beta test" the E480 , look no further......
e-tekk
itijik wrote:
I can probably get a demo up soon.

I have a Frequensteiner and a 106-5 as well. I can say that this filter adds more flexibility than those with the multiple outputs/responses, three types of CV inputs and the gain control. Its my "swiss army knife". But the sound all comes down to taste. For me they are different and interesting enough to keep them all.
If I had to choose one to keep, I would choose the E440...but the "Freq" would haunt my dreams hihi


this would be great when you can put something up. youre right with the frequensteiner. i will keep this baby. it sounds soo great!!!
itijik
E480? Ooooo, I can't wait to see/hear that. Same feature set and as the original I hope.
The more motm filters the merrier!
I'm just working my way up to a euro version of that motm recorder patch that I will just leave permanently patched. I will just play happy little flute melodies and stare at pictures of peaceful landscapes until the end of time lol
wavehead
paul - spill the beans on that e710! sounds awesome.

as a companion... i don't know what it could be, other than a precise mixer device of some kind that could be used for the slopes?

or another filter from a famous poly?
paults
Look at my 5U MOTM modules (there is only 2 in the 700s). And it's not another filter (they are all 400s) and it's not digital at all (so not a Pulse Divider).

http://www.synthtech.com/motm.html
itijik
e-tekk wrote:
has someone a soundcloud audio or video example of this euro filter beside the demonstration from john l rice? i like to hear a bassy sequence where the filter is being modulated via sequencer or lfo or something else.

E440Demo_LiveJam thumbs up
I was using mainly the 2 pole output, and also playing around with inverting and mixing to make it high pass (I switch to LP in the middle). The drive/level was set low and resonance was mid-high the whole time.


E440Demo_KnobWiggles
Just some quick knob wiggling smile
SynthNoSinn
Very good sound, Itijik! Very deep and lively!
Is it only the E440, or did you add some wave folding or reverb?
wavehead
paults wrote:
Look at my 5U MOTM modules (there is only 2 in the 700s). And it's not another filter (they are all 400s) and it's not digital at all (so not a Pulse Divider).

http://www.synthtech.com/motm.html


so it is a routing/mixing kind of module, but i'm sure something updated if not entirely new from the 700. sounds nice, but i'm guessing it's release is pretty far off considering everything else lined up.

how soon do you think you will have some audio coming out of the e370 proto? still don't know what 4 morphing cloud oscillators will sound like.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next [all]
Page 17 of 19
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group