MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Skinny Puppy WHY?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Skinny Puppy WHY?
richardm123uk
So I am not trying to flame fans of this band or anything but I have never liked Skinny Puppy, not one track. I think they are just dreadful (kind of sub-Alien Sex Fiend without the humour).

I first heard the in 87' and know so many people who rate them. I loved Front 242 and a few of the bands from around that time but not Skinny Puppy.

Same with bands like NIN. Never got the appeal.
Johnisfaster
no, you have to like all the things that everyone else likes dammit!

Maybe they just aren't for you.

I like this track SO much
rico loverde
most of my friends that were into industrial felt the same. i personally loved them, my favorite industrial band. Its like you either "really really" like them or they just dont do it for ya. they resonated with me in ways no ther band had. i still get chills from their songs.
chinard
two words..

ACQUIRED TASTE you kids get off my lawn

One of my favourite albums from them (VIVIsectVI) i absolutey HATED when i first heard it. I thought it was annoying as all shit.
It took a few years of hearing it in different places and in different circles before it really started to infect my subconscious.

The early stuff like bites and remission are a bit different for me, it really hit a nerve and i loved it instantly. Of course the problem with 'instant click' like that is you also get completely sick of it alot faster.

Of course some of their stuff is just completely terrible... like mythmaker Dead Banana
Johnisfaster
double post.
Johnisfaster
Remission is one of my favorite albums. Like on my top 10 list.
haricots
Remission, Bytes, Mind TPI are my faves. Funny how these were their 3 first releases. I was in to them from their beginnings but after Mind, none of their releases did it for me.
target_destroyed
Agree that Skuppy is an acquired taste. The first song I heard by them that I really loved was Testure, so I bought VIVIsectVI and listened to it over and over until I "got it". I think Ogre's vocal style takes some getting used to, it's very abrasive and often more of a melodic spoken word style than actual "singing". His lyrics are great however and Cevin and Dwayne's programming is amazing.

A few songs to check out that are just fucking awesome are Worlock, Nature's Revenge and Shore Lined Poison. The entire album Too Dark Park is brilliant. love
Dead Lines just came on on my playlist nanners
Moog$FooL$
lol lol lol lol lol

"(kind of sub-Alien Sex Fiend without the humour). " applause applause applause

brilliant!!! growing up in Vancouver & getting to see just how laughable they & their fans actually were...... this "upclose" view kinda helped i guess.

as for NIN...... oh yeah, you're bang-on their too!! zombie zombie zombie what the fuck was that band???? JOCKS...... "riding the razor's edge", "pushing the envelope". yeah, some dark shit that. meh

Haha! Haha! Haha!
authorless
I really, really like Last Rights, I think it is an absolute masterpiece, but I know a few people that like Skinny Puppy that hate that album.
richardm123uk
It is odd because a lot of the compositions should appeal to me. Maybe it is a West coast thing. I lived in Vancouver, Canada for a few years and the place did not gel with me. Could be the Vancouver influence.
Spanningtree
Bytes is awesome. I would have to agree that they are an acquired taste. Takes me back to my younger days... 242, front line assembly, ministry, thrill kill kult, revolting cocks.... yada yada. Good times! SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo
Nuuj
Always wanted to like Skinny Puppy, but they always seemed kinda weak.
I can hang with a few Ministry albums.
NIN always seemed lame to me.

Big Black and Head of David are two of my favorite bands from that period.
Christopher Winkels
I actually went from really liking SP (Bites, Remission, and Cleanse, Fold & Manipulate were all on my shelf in the late '80s) to finding them a bit annoying and.... dare I say... dated?

The whole shock aspect was pretty heavily pushed with their live shows (like the VIVIsect VI tour where they had the Chud the Dog thing going on), and it just wasn't either edifying or entertaining. Even to my teenage ears the whole thing was badly mixed (their sound engineer(s) at the time were doing a piss-poor job). It seemed like taking the dodgiest theatrics of an Alice Cooper or Gwar show and adding politics to it.

I should probably pull out the CDs and give them a listen again. It's been more than 15 years since I put one on. woah
sandyb
authorless wrote:
I really, really like Last Rights, I think it is an absolute masterpiece, but I know a few people that like Skinny Puppy that hate that album.

+1
a brilliant album.
M. Rishi
Johnisfaster wrote:
no, you have to like all the things that everyone else likes dammit!

Maybe they just aren't for you.

I like this track SO much

we're not worthy

I always loved the chorus on this track
dogoftears
uhhhh how can you dis Puppy, or call them "dated"??? This is one of the most influential electronic/industrial bands ever. If you put in Too Dark Park, Last Rights, or even The Process you will hear things that have certainly not been repeated in "industrial" music. This is especially so with tracks like "Blue Serge," "Morter," and "Amensia" off of The Process. their live show has always been the trump card of stage-horror. they have even been arrested for doing fake vivisections on stage, because it fooled the police. they use piles and piles of analog gear, the track "Blue Serge" mentioned above was made with a... well you can guess... Blue Fun Station.

obviously their sound is an acquired taste. it is not straight dance-floor fodder like 242, nor is it "industrial metal" like Ministry. actually i've always found Skuppy to be unlike any other industrial band, and to actually embody the ideas of "industrial" much better then the rest of this so called scene. i definitely had to listen to Bites over and over again before i "got" it... but it could be some of the most delicious use of 808/909/pro one simplicity around!

nevermind that cEvin Key is still creating ridiculous amounts of new music under the guise of Subconscious Records. all the post-Puppy projects such as Download, Plateau, Tear Garden, et al have continued to release music that is wholely psychedelic and mind-bending. i just saw cEvin Key live about a month ago and it was spectacular, crunchy, delicious analog beat driven insanity.

so to conclude, please do not dis Puppy. it's about as disrespectful as insulting Kraftwerk. and if you have trouble believing this, then go spin Last Rights or Too Dark Park over and over til your soul is rusted.

"now is the only thing that's real."
richardm123uk
Just gave 'Too Dark Park' a go after many years. I have to go with previous poster, dated. Sounds like sub-242. Eurobeat, not what I see or hear as Industrial music.

Listening to this album I think of big black boots, Nightmare Before Christmas accessories and hair extensions. Sorry.
megaohm
Christopher Winkels wrote:
<snip> the whole thing was badly mixed (their sound engineer(s) at the time were doing a piss-poor job).

I agree!
negativspace
rico loverde wrote:
most of my friends that were into industrial felt the same. i personally loved them, my favorite industrial band. Its like you either "really really" like them or they just dont do it for ya. they resonated with me in ways no ther band had. i still get chills from their songs.

I was going to say this, but it's already been said, so I'll just agree. If I could only take one record with me to a desert island, it would be Too Dark Park.
gwaidan
+1 on NIN. I was a Severed Heads nut in the late 80s, and early 90s NIN just seemed like a techno-inflected shock-rock grunge band by comparison-touring with Jim Rose Circus kinda said it all.
Scot Solida
I've been a Skinny Puppy fan since, well, not day one, but since Remission and even more so with Bites. My favorite is probably Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse, 'cause it's just so damned weird. However, I've liked them all along and I have very much enjoyed their most recent albums as well. I saw them in '87, back when their stage show looked as if their props were scavenged from whatever they could get their hands on. cEvin Key and Dwayne Goettel made some crazy, funny, scary sounds on their Mirages, Pro-1s and ESQ-1s (as cEvin Key has on everything since).

They were one of the last bands to be called "industrial" that I actually liked and I liked them maybe the most, with the exception of the earliest groups like TG, The Loved One, etc.

These days, I am hearing it all over again, because my 15 year old son is digging them.
m0rb1d
ive really been liking that doomsday album lately, such an awesome show.

cevin key is the fucking man, end of story

Dead Banana = my brain
laserpalace
I loved them a lot when I was younger, in a lot of ways the bridged the gap between a lot of genres. Sort of weird noise meets hip hop beats and industrial chaos that bordered the line of musique concrete. I do think Ogre is the biggest turn off for a lot of people. His voice gets pretty kitschy at times and redundant. This is one of my favorite tracks:

parasitk
Let's just keep starting threads about shit we don't like, so this place can be filled with as much negativity as possible!

Keep up the good work!

f u

//Chris
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6