MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

first bugular live performance
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author first bugular live performance
richard
My first bugular performance: a piece I performed last night at the MANTIS festival in Manchester to a small but apprecitive audience. Starts slow but by the end it goes somewhere quite interesting I think. I was using just an e350 and 2 PT delays, an LFO and a joystick, then loads of serge recordings and various shit, including Chet Baker, run from Ableton Live. You can't tell what is what but then, niether could I

Tom kindly leant me some UTL2s for the gig which was nice

http://richard-scott.net/solo-concerts/

sorry for any dodgy linking - wordpress is not behaving.

Its free to download if you would like.
radams
Listening to minute 11 right now - great work Richard - like the way your mixing everything up - Guinness ftw!
a100user
That was a real treat Richard, especially the dog barking during the lounge singer.

Real interesting, thanks for sharing.
dan_p
Richard, that was realy great. You are so good at putting this sort of stuff together. Would love to catch a live show one day.

we're not worthy
KNYST
Great stuff! Especially enjoyed the middle part including sax.
richard
thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback

the piece was a bit of a mashup in celebration of it being 20 years since I started my connection with manchester. It was also my first gig with Ableton, which proves almost perfect for this sort of thing. The sax you hear is either a contrabass clarinet (plundered from a old Anthony Braxton recording) or a processed shakuhachi (from Clive Bell) derived from some older records of mine; The Magnificence of Stereo and Wood Wind Tide.

Maybe I should quit when I'm ahead, but its part of a Manchester-themed trilogy actually. A piece from last year about ghosts and death and superficial commercialization is here:

http://richard-scott.net/compositions/acousmatic/ghosts-of-the-gamecoc k/

and a somewhat apeshit fake orchestral piece with a industrial revolution theme is here:

http://richard-scott.net/fucking-progress/

enjoy, if indeed that is word smile
KNYST
'fucking progress' - highly enjoyable thumbs up
radams
your a damn wildman Richard - thanks
BugBrand
Nice work Richard!
blue_lu
richard, sick stuff! LOVE IT! I love how you build up and then deconstruct things.

this is just a personal wish / criticism - maybe you can build up some head nodding beats somewhere in the middle for like half minute, and the deconstruct again.

Love it!

Could you post a pic of your bugbrand modular too? Thanks!
mirri
Impressive work!
richard
thanks guys, I'm glad you enjoyed it: it was a bit of leap in the dark for me really, felt a bit like juggling spaghetti

as for the groove comment, well I'm not against that and I do it sometimes but it does tend to easily overdominate in a piece like this. Finding a way to imply it or hint at it without actually stating it would be interesting - I have pieces where I did that successfully i think.

almost all my favorite music has a strong groove - james Brown, Sly stone, Lee perry, Sunny Ade, autechre - so I'm very interested in integrating that aspect into my electracoustic music, but I have an allergy to loops and most of what what passes for electronica these days. So its a question I'd like to solve, but I don't think I've got there yet!

I just got a cirklon after not having a real sequencer for a couple of years. Cirklon + bugbrand + serge - something good has to come out of that right?

we'll see nanners
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1