MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Bi-Color LED's?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Bi-Color LED's?
kindredlost
Can I get away with a plain old red LED in place of the flashing red & green beast in the Equinoxe build?

I can't seem to find them in the good ol' USA. I have a b'zillion red -OR- green T1-3/4 2.2v LED's but no bi-color ones.
falafelbiels
no way!
kindredlost
Is it because the red/green ones are too cool or what?
carynrich
not sure if you can use a standard led - you probably could but it'll only show half the signal.

i've used these for my equinoxe: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=604-WP57EGW

604-WP57EGW
kindredlost
carynrich wrote:
i've used these for my equinoxe: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=604-WP57EGW

604-WP57EGW

Holy crap. I just placed an order for some stuff from Mouser a few hours ago. I actually saw that one but thought it was either red or green. d'oh!

I'll get some on order. Thanks!
Synthbuilder
kindredlost wrote:
Can I get away with a plain old red LED in place of the flashing red & green beast in the Equinoxe build?

I see you have managed to get one but for the record the answer to this is no. A standard single LED would be reversed biased for half of the LFO cycle and this would eventually kill it.

You could use a bipolar LED but this would flash twice for every single LFO cycle.

The other option, and actually rather cool, is to use two single LEDs in anti-parallel. Each one would flash in turn...

Tony
Scorchi
I've been playing with LEDs lately, changed all but one of mine for violets (Our multicoloured christmas tree lights have had a profound effect on me).

I've already split my LFO into a pair of violets and it looks great! However I was wondering if the anti parallel trick or similar would work on the ADSR/VCA?

I know, my superficiality has reached new depths d'oh!
Synthbuilder
Scorchi wrote:
I was wondering if the anti parallel trick or similar would work on the ADSR/VCA?

Alas no. The anti-parallel trick only works with bi-polar signals, ie. ones that go from positive to negative. The ADSR is only positive so only one LED would light.

The VRG would benefit from the two LED approach though.

Tony
Scorchi
Ah, I made a wrong assumption about the green bi-polar the ADSR has there, obviously a different thing.

Thanks Tony.
Paradigm X
Out of interest, i did the opposite and used a bicolour one in my filtrex when it only needed a normal one, as it was all i had on hand. You can choose which colour it displays by changing the polarity...

I now need another bicolour one (for the equinoxe!) so need to swap it out again.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1