MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

envelope generator suggestion?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author envelope generator suggestion?
patchdub
hi. i am in the beginings of diy-ing a modular synth. my plan has been to start with audio manipulating devices first then then add the oscillator last so that when that piece is done i have a basic functioning synth. i am at the point where i need to build one more envelope generator then i can build my oscillator.

i have a motm 800 and am wondering what suggestions you all may have for my 2nd one? should i build another motm 800? the ian fritz all in ad/ar seems interesting. any thoughts?

thanks.
plord
I was looking at these choices just last month and chose the Fritz AD/AR kit from Bridechamber for 5U. The MFOS envelope looks ok but the Bridechamber kit cascades two extra little PCBs off it to make things work out with the panel he supplies; a bit of a hassle. The MOTM is a fine envelope but pricier than those other two.

This is all assuming you don't want to create your own panel with FPE or something and source your own parts for the MFOS or CGS or other kits.
DGTom
The Ian Fritz AD/AR looks really cool, you can basically drive it from any old signal, am I right?

I noticed in the manuals the Fritz stuff Bridechamber sell are designed as 12v. Are the kits / modules adapted for 15v plord?
patchdub
thanks for your input!

i am looking for something that already has at least a panel and pcb available somewhere.
JohnLRice
I haven't tried one but Oakley as a pretty cool looking Voltage Controlled ADSR with built in VCA! hyper
http://www.oakleysound.com/vc-adsr.htm

Bride Chamber makes nice panels for them (currently out of stock)
http://www.bridechamber.com/bridechamber.com/O%20VCADSR.html
plord
DGTom wrote:
The Ian Fritz AD/AR looks really cool, you can basically drive it from any old signal, am I right?

Yep, anything that crosses 1.5V. So an LFO will retrigger it anytime it rises above and go to R or D stage when it passes below that threshold as well. The 281 circuit from Topp behaves this was as well, you can fire it off anything at all.
Quote:
I noticed in the manuals the Fritz stuff Bridechamber sell are designed as 12v. Are the kits / modules adapted for 15v plord?

THIS one is assumed to run off +/- 15V, no guarantees on any others as I haven;t looked too closely. But I did not pick up one of the MFOS kits...maybe the VCA? because the docs said some part values would need to be changed for 15V without specifying which ones. I'm not that good yet smile
Luka
check out the quantix dual vc-adsr
it is adapted from the envylope which is a jurgen haible core

http://m.bareille.free.fr/modular1/adsr/mb_cvadsr2.htm
plord
JohnLRice wrote:
I haven't tried one but Oakley as a pretty cool looking Voltage Controlled ADSR with built in VCA! hyper
http://www.oakleysound.com/vc-adsr.htm

Got one of those, but, the NON VC one, the one space version. It IS nice, but you can't separate the functions, so maybe you should think of it as a VCA with it's own dedicated and built in Envelope smile

That is, if you feed it audio, then it's a VCA with a permanent ADSR envelope dedicated to shaping it. If you feed in a variable level gate or trigger signal, it's an Envelope with a VCA dedicated to controlling the Sustain level based on the voltage of the gate signal. Or other combined uses, but always together and you can't cross the streams smile

Still cool.
dude
zombify!

lag/slew are hands down my favorite eg's. certainly you have it all figured out by now though!
johnnymad
i vote for the mfos ar generator if you're into diy.
zerosum
dude wrote:
zombify!

lag/slew are hands down my favorite eg's. certainly you have it all figured out by now though!

Im starting to feel that way as well.
I wish the dotcom slew had VC(like most dotcom modules they like to leave VC off a lot of their modules Rage! )
dude
you know i have found that the one module i want only manual control over is my eg. i had an oakley adsr with vc and i never used it and sold it. it was a good module but that feature never once came to a musical or interesting end for me.
zerosum
dude wrote:
you know i have found that the one module i want only manual control over is my eg. i had an oakley adsr with vc and i never used it and sold it. it was a good module but that feature never once came to a musical or interesting end for me.

Its really cool for slow drones ran into a spring reverb. w00t
Its also very very useful when using an EG to modulate PWM, and I like it for FM too.
In reguards to voltage control on a slew, if it has voltage control you can use it as a VCA, yum...
I have a theory that any envelope with Voltage Control will work as a slew as well, the blacet EG-1 does, the VCS does too.
I need to try some other experiments with other Envelopes.
pugix
Since you're starting out, I suggest building a few different EGs to find out which ones you like, because you will build more eventually. The Fritz All-In EG looks nice, though I don't have one. But it is not ADSR. I have four MOTM-800 and four Oakley ADSR/VCA (two with the VC inputs). I use all of these a lot. The Oakley is really handy for the typical function of putting an envelope on an audio signal. No need for another VCA. The Oakley lacks a trigger input, but that's a small nit. Panels are available for the Fritz and the Oakley from Bridechamber.
neandrewthal
DGTom wrote:

I didn't even notice it's meant to run off 12v and all of mine work fine on 15v oops

I really love the versatility provided by the pulse delay. It can shrink down a gate to trigger the envelope as an AR or it can stretch a trigger to drive the envelope as an ASR with variable sustain time. Oh yeah, and it delays things too hyper
dude
this fritz bit is definitely on my list too!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1