MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Front Panel cost saving.....maybe.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Front Panel cost saving.....maybe.
satindas
I'm getting close to ordering my Schaeffer panels and it occurred to me that it might be less expensive to combine certain modules into one panel. I have two Oakley VCO's built and I'm planning a third so I checked out the price difference. : 1 VCO panel with knob scales = 59.7 Euro.... 3 VCO's combined into 1 panel = 133.23 Euro ... a saving of almost 46 Euro ! That's really gonna add up if I combine other similar modules. EG's, VCA's, Mixers etc. Of course, limitations arise regarding overall panel layout and future mods and that's something I'm still pondering over so on to my question. If anybody has done this before did you encounter any problems? I imagine there's gonna be things to plan like trimming and calibration but I'm basically wondering if there is any reason why I should just kick this idea and do it the standard way. (I really hope not cos the cash saved would pay for my Klee smile Thanks in advance for any advice.
questionable
That's exactly what I'm doing with my DIY Euro-sized banana system. I'm going to use the 126HP TipTop Z-Rails, so I'm dividing that 126 HP into 3 equal panels. Using a vaguely Serge-style spacing in Front Panel Designer, I was just able to fit 2 CGS VCO's and 2 CGS VCA's into a 42 HP panel. The next panel I'm working on has two ADSR's, two LFO's, and two attenuators.

I'm sticking pretty strictly to the grid, so I could probably cram more in there if I was a little looser with the spacing.

For your $ savings, all you lose is a little flexibility.
pugix
You lose flexibility to reconfigure your cabinet. It may be hard to imagine what you may want to change down the road, but your cost savings now could translate into having to build more modules later. If you think you'll always want three VCOs sitting next to each other in one cabinet, then the savings would be worth it. I, however, like to be able to move modules around a lot. I have six 5U MOTM cabinets (two of them portable), and I swap stuff continually. Should you ever decide you want to do that, and want to put one VCO somewhere, you'll be SOL. So think about that before you commit. Otherwise, it makes sense. thumbs up
julian
i guess by panelisng the panels (umm, does that make sense) you are, effectivly, doing what serge does.

what about, insted of putting, say, a load of vcos together, make 'voice' units aproaching the core of a simple mono-synth?
bwhittington
That would work for me. I usually lump at least a handful of oscillators together anyway. Depends on what seems logical to you.

Cheers,
Brian
Synthbuilder
satindas wrote:
I imagine there's gonna be things to plan like trimming and calibration...

This.

You'll need to work out some way of getting to those trim pots on the VCOs. V/oct and tune can easily be made so that the adjusters stick outwards (Vishay and Bournes make side adjust units) but all the others they are going to be tricky to get at.

The other option is not to get Scheaffer to engrave your panels. Get them to drill a blank panel with the correct hole placement. Then print out the panel legending on a either sticky backed vinyl or paper and then laminate. You can got to town with extra legending and graticules around the knobs.

The other option is the Bridechamber panels which really do look good. It's what Paul uses for the ready made MOTM format Oakley modules.

Tony
satindas
Synthbuilder wrote:
You'll need to work out some way of getting to those trim pots on the VCOs....
As far as my meagre powers of foresight allow, this my only major concern (boards already built with top adjusters). I was hoping that as long as calibration isn't too frequent a requirement I can do it before mounting the panel. So is it something I'm gonna have to do regularly? Is there a settling down period during which things have to be readjusted? Might be better to just group modules with less crucial trimming requirments eh?
Synthbuilder
satindas wrote:
So is it something I'm gonna have to do regularly?

No. Once built and mounted you may need to tweak the V/OCT and TUNE a few months afterwards. But then you probably won't have to touch it again.

All the other trimmers on the VCOs probably only need to be set once ever.

Tony
julian
Synthbuilder wrote:

The other option is...

I did not want to be too up-font, but, as various international firms are being mentioned, i guess i should endulge in just a little self promotion... : )

I priced up some engraved JH Polymoog and MFOS rotary sequencer panels (both 5u) last night and was able to save the customer greater than 20% over going abroad for their engraving! At the same time i priced up another wigglers euro panel - another 20% saved!

So, you may want to consider that - if you were to panelise your modules, and then take a >20% saving on top of that, youre into some serious money saving, not to mention, in your case, the additional (aprox) 2% youll save by keeping in the same currency zone : )

All the money... more than enough saved to buy some additional PCBs from Tony ; )
satindas
julian wrote:
All the money... more than enough saved to buy some additional PCBs from Tony ; )

My Thoughts precisely.... you gettin this Tony?

2 months ago I thought I'd done all my planning... now I'm coming to realise that there is no plan, just a direction.

PM'd you Julian
werock
Great Avatar, satindas thumbs up
satindas
werock wrote:
Great Avatar, satindas thumbs up

Thanks werock.. is that a couple of psilocybins reflected in your eye??? eek!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1