MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cheap synths
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Cheap synths
Rozzer
I made this demo for the Yamaha TG33 last night. I've been close to selling this a couple of times, but it's too much fun for the money. Anyone else got any love for cheap synths?

tokyocat
deleted
mjsemtex
the kawai stuff always seems to go for pretty cheap. the k4r, xd5, r100 drum machine, etc.
Morley
Yamaha DX7
mjsemtex
Morley wrote:
Yamaha DX7

and, even cheaper if you want the module version in a tx7.
Ranxerox
mjsemtex wrote:
the kawai stuff always seems to go for pretty cheap. the k4r, xd5, r100 drum machine, etc.

R100 is a superb value drum machine.

The Kurzweil K2000 can be had on eBay for ~$500 - that's a lot of synth for the money.
mjsemtex
Ranxerox wrote:
R100 is a superb value drum machine.

The Kurzweil K2000 can be had on eBay for ~$500 - that's a lot of synth for the money.

pitch those r100 drums down and it's like instant godflesh...

the yamaha ex5r (which i've been looking for for some time now) also seems like it goes for way cheaper than it should when you look at features / cost.
Morley
mjsemtex wrote:
Morley wrote:
Yamaha DX7

and, even cheaper if you want the module version in a tx7.

Indeed!
Best bargain sometimes is the TX816. One of the most poweful synthesizers ever and $500 or so.. Add a small submixer and it's killer.
mjsemtex
i got a tx81z for $30.00 at guitar center and once picked up a korg s3 drum machine / sequencer for the same price...

the korg s3 has an insane amount of features for the cost.

EDIT: and come to think of it, i paid a lot more to pick up some of the instrument / sound cards on ebay for the s3.
Jason Brock
I had a TG33 for a while too. Cool sounds for a small price tag. I also enjoyed this Yamaha QY20 that I got a long time ago for cheap. It had some pretty good sounds in it for an old ROMpler.

Christopher Winkels
Korg's DW series (6000 and 8000) have traditionally been great value for money and can often be found for $200 or less if you can spend some time looking. For my money they're among the best of the digital/analogue hybrids, especially the -8000 because its DDL Can do chorus, flanging and echo and it has a pretty damned good arpeggiator.
Chuck E. Jesus
Roland SH-32 is pretty cool...
mjsemtex
yamaha an200 / dx200
RealDudes
$500 doesn't count as a cheap synth in my book.

Korg EA1 ES1 ER1 are pretty nice. Saw Unicorn Hard-On at a house show and she killed it with just three of those old electribes and couple boss pedals. The Emu Command stations are pretty baller too. My personal fav cheap synths are old shitty casios through some pedals, and my korg dw6000 that I picked up for $50.
mantiwhore
Alesis Ion is one of the very best VA's ever made and you can but it for $500 I suppose. Sold the Andromeda, never sold the Ion.
gwaidan
+1 for TX81Z

DX100.

Kawai GMouse-bought it open-box for $5-cute but decent battery-powered General MIDI ROMpler.

+1 for DW6000-nice filters. Its wavetables are multisampled and sound really clean and full-bodied-not at all what you expect from a mid-80s digital synth.

Creative MidiBlaster bought for $20-probably the reason Creative decided it needed to buy Emu (playing some of the half-finished drumsets will cause it to go glitchy-crazy) but gives you a SoundBlaster 16 in a box.

Stylophone!
dougt
Still cheap and fun -

ESQ-1/M
VFX-SD
Poly-800II (DDL in the II adds a lot)
DW/EX-8000
Juno-1/2/MKS-50
JX-3P
MG-1 (better than a Rogue and cheaper)
mjsemtex
the casio cz series are all very use-able / cheap...
Strange_Days
I love my Roland JX-8P. Perfect for adding some warmth and polyphony to my tracks.
hageir
Korg Poly-61
That Arp and that 4-bit OSC 2 are awesome.

You can even mod it to have knob control over the filter+res!
computer controlled
I forgot how nice the JX-3Ps sound. However, i don't much think they will remain at Cheap status for long with the new KIWI CPU Upgrade available.
stk
Does the MS2000 qualify as cheap?
Been using mine as a nasty glitch machine lately, breathing a whole new life into the poor thing, until now sidelined by the modular This is fun!
Morley
I just got a Novation Nova for £150. It's cheap and I will use it which is the basic fact! I am coming to appreciate each synth for what it does best. £150 or £5000 they all bring something to the game.
MindMachine
Technically not a synth but the Yamaha RX drum machine series are deep and versatile. They go for pretty cheap. I love my RX5's individual outputs and volume controls. Perfect for processing...
DanielW
I've recently gotten into running sounds from iphone freeware apps into my Korg Monotron. With a good delay and reverb, it sounds great for next to nothing

Otherwise, I'd have to say if you're willing to take the hassle of patching on a computer, the Micro Modular is the best value for money there is.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3