MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Self generating patches....tips and ideas ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Author Self generating patches....tips and ideas ?
Chuck E. Jesus
dougcl wrote:
I say nothing here I would not say to you in person.

i would say "hey doug, what's up?"
rezzn8r
having been on the wrong end of one of doug's tantrums in the past, I would just say ignore him, dude.
theantiroman
hey mod, can't we just get along?

Sorry I have a filter in my brain that turns everything into puns...

sad banana
sduck
jeez dougcl, that was totally uncalled for. And off topic I might add. Lighten up.
Christopher Winkels
I have to agree.

Dude's original comment was very well prefaced with:

"well for me there is a short answer and it is modcan. but the concepts could be applied to any system"

That simultaneously flies his colours yet allows for the reality that there are other good options. There was no need to jump on his throat for such an innocuous statement. Had someone else inserted Doepfer/Dotcom/Blacet/Serge would the statement be any more or less valid?
mono-poly
Pfurmel
Back on topic,
Last night I had a patch going using the Wogglebug as the basis. I had it influencing the VILFO which was clocking a random sequence on the A155. I also used it to open VCA's and trigger the envelator. I got some nice random evolving stuff. Great fun.
Nelson Baboon
Christopher Winkels wrote:
I have to agree.

Dude's original comment was very well prefaced with:

"well for me there is a short answer and it is modcan. but the concepts could be applied to any system"

That simultaneously flies his colours yet allows for the reality that there are other good options. There was no need to jump on his throat for such an innocuous statement. Had someone else inserted Doepfer/Dotcom/Blacet/Serge would the statement be any more or less valid?

Except he immediately followed that with the 'fact' that modcan includes more options to allow you to construct these patches: "but the concepts could be applied to any system, bruce just happens to include it a lot more." It might just be careless wording, but the way it was worded irked me a bit, and had I not just run across this now, I'd have probably thrown in something sarcastic also.
bwhittington
kindredlost wrote:
Generative patches are a passion after my own heart . . .

[snip] a million great patch tips [/snip]

Post of the Month.

Cheers,
Brian
theantiroman
Could one record CV with a boss looping pedal?

I'd imagine you could roughly follow the path of sending gates out to the looper, recording a pattern of them, then sending it's output into envelopes-> osc...

I don't have one but I think it would work and I could see that helping with self generating patches.
dude
yes i have careless wording. i will certainly agree about that. as for recording cv, nope you need modcan for that at least at the moment but other options are coming around.
Yohda
Quote:
as for recording cv, nope you need modcan for that at least at the moment but other options are coming around.

Subotnick was recording CV long before Modcan came out.

http://www.buzzclick-music.com/mort_lore.html

So you don't "need" Modcan. 8_)
bwhittington
theantiroman wrote:
Could one record CV with a boss looping pedal?

I don't know if the Boss pedal will record DC, but I do know that the . . . Modcan CV Recorder does. (hides) lol

Cheers,
Brian

EDIT: Gaa, two other comments slipped in, me so slow. waah
theantiroman
Well you can record CV onto a tape deck right?

I've read the little 'mort' paper on CV recording, def interested if the boss looper would do it... I guess tehre is one real way to find out!

Right now I am thinking I could record loops that are just audio then send them into an A119, set threshhold to set the gate levels, then take the gate out as a sort of simulation CV output...

here is a totally naive question:

Are gate outputs just bursts of CV?
dude
i was being tongue in cheek considering all the flack i ve been getting for my poorly worded initial comment. yeah there are a couple ways to record cv. i think flame has a device which can do some of that there has been a looming asys cv recorder for a while. it may even be out i have no idea. oh and the harvestman tyme sefari.
i would qualify that it may be easiest to use the modcan for the recording as it is one single unit dedicated to the cause as opposed to a collection of equipment/modules to record and then play back.

i haven't had coffee yet so if you are feeling like you want to attack me, give me an hour so i can at least be awake enough to read your replies.
haricots
dudes in trouble. the anti-Modcan league is gathering strength. for god sakes make sure your thoughts and sentences are properly formed, logically and grammatically. meh
Yohda
Quote:
i haven't had coffee yet so if you are feeling like you want to attack me, give me an hour so i can at least be awake enough to read your replies.

Hey Dude, I wasn't attacking you, I was just pointing an alternative.

Take your time and good coffee ! Chugging Beers

Quote:
dudes in trouble. the anti-Modcan league is gathering strength.

So pointing an alternative made me anti-Modcan ? seriously, i just don't get it

I think Modcan is very great, I don't understand...
dude
Yohda wrote:
Quote:

Hey Dude, I wasn't attacking you, I was just pointing an alternative.

Take your time and good coffee ! Chugging Beers

no no man, not you. hihi you were offering helpful information related to the topic and you are totally right that mort had this shit figured waaaaay before! his process is somewhat cumbersome though as compared to some of the dc capable single units available at present.

anyway, the recording of long form cv meanderings is a wonderful way to get really interesting evolving patches.
Nelson Baboon
haricots wrote:
dudes in trouble. the anti-Modcan league is gathering strength. for god sakes make sure your thoughts and sentences are properly formed, logically and grammatically. meh

yeah, it's a good thing we all communicate telepathically.
7thDanSound
Recording high pitched audio that's amplitude modulated by a VCA and then playing it back through an envelope follower should enable CV recording. And I guess it'd work just fine on a tape delay too.

Sarcasm and smugness I don't quite see how it benefits well, anyone. Cutting someone some slack for excessive format love and sloppy morning wording (which wasn't so bad, was it really?) shouldn't be below anyones dignity.
theantiroman
@ 7th Dan Sound:

Sick!

So is that :

audio into VCA with the VCA being opened and closed rapidly in some manner. then VCA to recording device.

playback (CV retrieval): recorded CV to envelope follower then enve. follower output to whatever you want to follow CV?
MrBiggs
Great great thread (well most of it anyway).

I have a pile of good modules for this kind of thing -- I should do as the OP mentioned, set up a patch, hit record, and leave; then listen to it later (I draw all day for work and long evolving electronica is perfect for a soundtrack to such tasks).

I second the post of the month nomination for kindredlost.
dkcg
Not sure if this applies, but a bit of history of electronic control. When the first motion control cameras were invented, they would record control voltages/signals onto acetate disks (I think it was acetate) to play back motions later. I believe Hitchcock was a big user of this method.

Recording control signals has been around a long time even before synths.
7thDanSound
theantiroman wrote:
@ 7th Dan Sound:

Sick!

So is that :

audio into VCA with the VCA being opened and closed rapidly in some manner. then VCA to recording device.

playback (CV retrieval): recorded CV to envelope follower then enve. follower output to whatever you want to follow CV?

Yes, that's exactly how I imagined it hihi
wmonk
And with a few changes, the ACX P-Sequencer will do the trick of CV recording too. Etch the pcb, get a few components and a panel. For less then 50$ you're the man! http://www.acxsynth.com/pseq/pseqfr.htm
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Page 2 of 17