MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Self generating patches....tips and ideas ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Author Self generating patches....tips and ideas ?
gis_sweden
pugix wrote:
This is great! CQ CQ CQ in Morse Code, too!

-.-. --.- :-)
I should have noticed it. But I reach a higher level of autonomous machine
composition if I don't analyse my own "hidden" messages?
My synth is a musical Frankenstein. I'm feeling content with my synth. w00t
cptnal
Here's a concept I've just started experimenting with. It's a variation of the using-end-of-cycle-triggers-to-trigger-the-next-event idea. Instead of patching the a trigger into the next envelope, put them all in a mixer and use the output to trigger a switch. Each channel of the switch triggers a different event. If you have a switch with a random setting, then any event can trigger any other. I'm using Shifty because it generates its own gates and you don't have to pass anything through it. I've also come across end-of-cycle gates, which stay high when the envelope is quiet and confuse the switch. I got round this by patching it through another, short envelope.

I guess for it to be proper generative then each element should be influencing the other in some way. The obvious thing is to have each envelope affect another's cycle time, but like I say it's early days... This is fun!
gis_sweden
-> Link to the sound at Freesound <-
Using an CVLFO in a feedbackloop creating very "chaotic" CV!
Might be useful? hmmm.....
Spring reverb added (A-199).
EDIT:
Forgot the patch-picture d'oh!
Here it is!

Dcramer
cptnal wrote:
Here's a concept I've just started experimenting with. It's a variation of the using-end-of-cycle-triggers-to-trigger-the-next-event idea. Instead of patching the a trigger into the next envelope, put them all in a mixer and use the output to trigger a switch. Each channel of the switch triggers a different event. If you have a switch with a random setting, then any event can trigger any other. I'm using Shifty because it generates its own gates and you don't have to pass anything through it. I've also come across end-of-cycle gates, which stay high when the envelope is quiet and confuse the switch. I got round this by patching it through another, short envelope.

I guess for it to be proper generative then each element should be influencing the other in some way. The obvious thing is to have each envelope affect another's cycle time, but like I say it's early days... This is fun!

Brilliant thumbs up
Neo
Pelsea wrote:

One issue I have not seen discussed much here is formal control. The one thing I demanded of my students was that their compositions have a beginning, middle and end. More elaborate forms are encouraged, even if they avoid the traditional ABAB'A. I expect no less of my patches.

I was trying to achieve generative compositions with their own 'hands off' structure. I spent months making a module that has 4 stepped clocked envelopes that can take minutes or even hours to complete a cycle, depending on the speed of the clock (typically about 1 clock pulse per 'bar'). As soon as I got it working I realised that I'd rather conduct my compositions manually, imposing structure on the generative content. Definitely not a purist approach but I've found it very satisfying creatively. Maybe I should dig out the module again, but I like being part of the process rather than just an observer. Also, I'd feel stupid performing a completely generative piece live. Like one of those DJ's who make a big show of twisting knobs that make no difference.
gis_sweden
Do you like soft organic sounds and nice melodies? Don’t listen to this. hihi
Remember I warned you. In this patch I use the classic trick with CVLFOs
in a feedback ring. In this way the voices interact in a nice way.
Even though the sounds are – harsh – the function of the engine should
be clear. You don’t have to listen for 5 min… But then you might miss
the picture of my wave rectifier.
pugix
gis_sweden wrote:
Do you like soft organic sounds and nice melodies? Don’t listen to this. hihi
Remember I warned you. In this patch I use the classic trick with CVLFOs
in a feedback ring. In this way the voices interact in a nice way.
Even though the sounds are – harsh – the function of the engine should
be clear. You don’t have to listen for 5 min… But then you might miss
the picture of my wave rectifier.

Classic fade out at the end. smile

Nice, if a little repetitive. What reverb did you use?
gis_sweden
pugix wrote:
Classic fade out at the end. smile

Underrated hihi
pugix wrote:
Nice, if a little repetitive. What reverb did you use?

Agree. Tooo long, but I wanted to record some variations in the feedback patch. As reverb I use A-199 and as delay a Joyo Analog Delay (a stomp box). I have some delay on the "soprano part". The the undelayed signal slightly panned right and the delayed signal panned left - in this case. I use the A-138p + A-138o + A-199. I like the send/return function. No external mixer.
gis_sweden
Me again w00t
Back with quantussy cells. In this patch 5 in a ring.
BUT! now I have tried to hold back the synth.
A more limited sacale. 1 cell in the ring is "passive", just giving a puls.
[s]https://soundcloud.com/gis_sweden/in-progress-less-chaos[/s]
Grumble
tardishead
Great thread
Recently made a Clee quantiser
Using white noise thru sample hold to change scales or scale span is epic
Free jazz
if you want to create something melodic that is
gis_sweden
Grumble wrote:

That a on-of synth! Nice sounds.
We joined about the same time :-)
gis_sweden
gis_sweden
My 5 quantussy cells Mr. Green Yes, I bought some new stackables.
[/img]
Dcramer
we're not worthy cute little rectifier you’ve got there!
pugix
This might be appreciated here.

http://pugix.com/synth/automatic-music-july-17-2018/

The control section uses 12 sample & holds, but only five VC clocks. My hand drawn patch diagram isn't ready for publication.
cptnal
pugix wrote:

The control section uses 12 sample & holds, but only five VC clocks. My hand drawn patch diagram isn't ready for publication.

OK, I can just about follow what's going on from your pic. I just don't know what those four wooden Bastl thingies are doing. Are they some of the additional S&Hs?

Oh, and cool patch, BTW. The first iteration sounds the more "musical" to these ears. thumbs up
pugix
cptnal wrote:
pugix wrote:

OK, I can just about follow what's going on from your pic. I just don't know what those four wooden Bastl thingies are doing. Are they some of the additional S&Hs?

Oh, and cool patch, BTW. The first iteration sounds the more "musical" to these ears. thumbs up

Thanks! In these 'automatic' patches the first step is to diagram out a control patch with complex feedback paths. Some of them work better than others. This one turned out pretty good. Yes, the Bastl Tromsø includes a VCO/LFO, a comparator, and a sample & hold. In this patch a CV from one of the Stages outputs goes to the S&H input, which is clocked by the internal LFO, and the S&H output goes back to its own FM input. So, each clock it might change its own rate, depending on how the CV being sampled has changed. I applied the same idea to the URA, with the A/B Toggle out going back to its own clock FM input (through an external attenuator). The more interesting part is how the JF is patched into Stages. Three JF outputs act as gates and three others act as the sample inputs. The six Stages outputs are patched in pairs to three VCAs and then back to JF to control various parameters. The Tromsøs act as the other sample inputs to Stages, plus the other gate inputs. It's so cool to have six more sample & holds, using Stages for that.

As for musicality, it can happen (if it does) with the right tuning. Lot of knobs to set for initial rates, FM depths, etc., just in the control part. And then finding some interesting parameters in the audio path to modulate.
gis_sweden
pugix wrote:

w00t

Visited your site the other day. Guess I just missed this update.

First recording. Sounds like a mix of a positiv/drehorgel/fairground organ (no, I did not know the English word.
had to search for it.) and music to silent movie.

The second and more "abstract" part. I like the dynamics you get without using VCAs. Much more granular fx.
Makes it more "synthetic"...
cptnal
You could patch the output of one S&H into the input of the next and get yourself a 12-step shift register. eek!
pugix
cptnal wrote:
You could patch the output of one S&H into the input of the next and get yourself a 12-step shift register. eek!

In this patch, some of the S&H inputs come from other S&H outputs. But they're not clocked at the same time.

Doing analog shifter register needs to have a different phase of the clock going to each S&H, because if they receive the clock at the same time it's indeterminate whether the second S&H will see the original or the new value (or junk), as the first S&H transitions at the same time. So if you clock every other S&H in the chain with the inverted clock square wave it should work. Just bear in mind that all the transitions don't happen at once.
pugix
gis_sweden wrote:
pugix wrote:

w00t

Visited your site the other day. Guess I just missed this update.

First recording. Sounds like a mix of a positiv/drehorgel/fairground organ (no, I did not know the English word.
had to search for it.) and music to silent movie.

The second and more "abstract" part. I like the dynamics you get without using VCAs. Much more granular fx.
Makes it more "synthetic"...

Thanks. I'm still working on this patch. Already found a better way to modulate Just Friends.
gis_sweden
cptnal wrote:

idea It's peanut butter jelly time!

Big AHA-moment!!! I made a 4-step shift register. I have 10 S/H, but making a 10-step shift register... Doepfer A-161 has 8 steps...

Variable speed on main trigger. 4-step shift register made with sample and hold modules. Looping envelopes with varying speed. The sample and hold shift register does not preserve pitch frequency very well.
https://freesound.org/people/gis_sweden/sounds/432930/

Two more tests...
https://freesound.org/people/gis_sweden/sounds/432924/
https://freesound.org/people/gis_sweden/sounds/432926/
pugix
Another one, with some patch explanation.

http://pugix.com/synth/automatic-music-july-21-2018/
gis_sweden
pugix wrote:
Another one, with some patch explanation.

Intriguing music. Film score like. Very nice sounds. applause But I almost wish I had a "clean" recording, without fx. It's hard to hear whats going on - inside the patch. Had to read about both just friends and stages and watch some demos. Well, I don't know the cola recipe but I enjoy the drink. hmmm.....

I patch popped up in my head. A synth voice conversation patch. I'm Probably inventing the wheel again, but I like when I think patching. Like learning a language. My little patch diagram fits in the soundcloud picture.
[s]http://soundcloud.com/gis_sweden/synth-voice-conversation-patch[/s]
For your convince here is the picture.

p.s. don't know what I do when ms paint and notepad disappears from windows... zombie
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Page 14 of 17