MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dual/Quad VCA pot knobs Heads up!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Dual/Quad VCA pot knobs Heads up!
satindas
Hi, Thought I'd just flag this up as its related to a small (now solved) problem I had recently. The 20mm knobs spec'd for this module will leave a gap of around 8mm between the front panel and the base of the knob IF you use the standard 15mm shaft pots, ie. the Rapid ones listed in the Parts Guide. If you want your pots to sit close to the front panel make sure that you order the shorter .3" shaft pots. I got some from Mouser for my Klee which have solder lugs.

http://gb.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=RV16AF-10-15R1-B50Kvi rtualkey14860000virtualkey313-1000F-50K

Ignore the picture...check the spec! ( I think that's gonna be my new signature hihi )

Dont know if they have pcb mount....
Synthbuilder
Yep. It says this in the parts guide as I find that using the 27mm Moog style knobs this is also true.

So it's either get the Dremel out or buy your pots from Banzai.

The Dremel may be cheaper.

Tony
krisp14u
If anyone in the UK wants the 50K lin or 10K lin Alpha pots with 1/4" solid round shafts about 15mm long send me a Email
They are going to be 1 GBP each + shipping
kecked
http://gb.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=%252bUYXD5bnyXpKo3aD 9urnhA%3d%3d

I bought these and they work fine.
Godric
I've given up using the dremel to cut pot shafts down - it can make the pot really hot, which prolly aint good for it.

I have a piece of wood with a hole in it the diameter of the pot shaft, clamped in a vice. The thickness of the wood is the length of the shaft I need for the knob. Then it's time to get the hacksaw out.

I just reread the above - a lot of vice, shafts, knobs and clamping ooo la la. Dead Banana

Godric
kindredlost
Godric wrote:
I've given up using the dremel to cut pot shafts down - it can make the pot really hot, which prolly aint good for it.

I have a piece of wood with a hole in it the diameter of the pot shaft, clamped in a vice. The thickness of the wood is the length of the shaft I need for the knob. Then it's time to get the hacksaw out.

I just reread the above - a lot of vice, shafts, knobs and clamping ooo la la. Dead Banana

Godric

Yeah, but you lost my interest at "I have a piece of wood with a hole in it "
Synthbuilder
Godric wrote:
Then it's time to get the hacksaw out.

Yeah, I use a hacksaw too. I thought I could use a power tool reference to make me look more modern and manly.

help

As a slight aside, I bought some small hacksaw blades from Rapid last year. I discovered they were only useful for cutting wax candles. Rapid do sell some crap these days.

Tony
krisp14u
I’m not getting any long Pot shafts any more as Banzi and small bear can cover all my pot needs
But when I did I used a pair of large bolt cutters
You have to get the shaft in right or it’s a squash cut rather than a cut
satindas
OK I thought I'd solved my problem but it looks like I'm gonna have to either de-solder around 40 pots and replace them, or cut them down. d'oh! Has anyone done pot shaftectomy with the pot attached to the board? What's the best way to tackle this. My front panels are on hold till I get this sorted very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating
krisp14u
I have done it with the bolt cutters while the pots are soldered in to the PCB
Not for the faint hearted but it can be done
Synthbuilder
satindas wrote:
Has anyone done pot shaftectomy with the pot attached to the board?

Yep. Put the very end of the pot shaft in a vice and hacksaw it down to size. You may need to reposition the vice jaws once you get through one half of the split shaft.

Use a vacuum cleaner to get rid of any of the metal dust from the pot and PCB.

I reckon it takes no more than a minute per pot.

You could also buy the 27mm matt black knobs from Rapid. They sell them with 6mm fittings and they handle the long and short shafts with ease.

These are the ones in the picture below:

Tony
satindas
Synthbuilder wrote:
satindas wrote:
Has anyone done pot shaftectomy with the pot attached to the board?

Yep. Put the very end of the pot shaft in a vice and hacksaw it down to size. You may need to reposition the vice jaws once you get through one half of the split shaft.

Use a vacuum cleaner to get rid of any of the metal dust from the pot and PCB.

I reckon it takes no more than a minute per pot.

Thanks! that gives me the confidence to get hacking thumbs up

Synthbuilder wrote:
You could also buy the 27mm matt black knobs from Rapid. They sell them with 6mm fittings and they handle the long and short shafts with ease.
Tony

The reason I need to do this is that I have included scales around the knobs, and to do that I've had to use a combination of 19mm, 23mm and 27mm knobs (from musikding.de - just arrived this am). I suppose I should have realized that the smaller knobs wouldn't accommodate the longer shaft. Ah well... at least the 33mm knob for the Oakley Cokey fits perfectly nanners
satindas
Done! That wasn't so bad after all meh
All my knobs should sit nice and close to the panel now. Panels ordered, case built, just a few more boards to populate. The end is in sight and I'm praying for sweet bloopy sounds and no burning smells.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1