MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CV mods for guitar pedals
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author CV mods for guitar pedals
thizzadore
Has anyone ever modded a guitar pedal so that you could control certain parameters with control voltages?

For example, one major advantage you get with digital effects is time syncing. Software phasers can have their sweeps time synced and manually controlled (the Ableton Live phase shifter).

I would like to be able to manually twist the phase position in a phaser or flanger using knobs that output control voltages, or use LFO's with weird shapes that phaser pedals don't have.

Anyone have experience with this?
chinard
http://bridechamber.com/VC_Res_PCB.html

this is a good place to start.
Schematic is supplied so you can build your own, its a simple circuit.
nickciontea
ARDUINO ALL THE WAY! this is a maxon ad-999 with added cv

i just posted this in the eurorack forum.. i have a full technical explanation video to be uploaded shortly.

if you go to the videos page http://vimeo.com/21749580 you will find links for the information needed to do this.

but like i said.. i have a video coming sooooooon
mckenic
Hyped about the tech video sir!
ThinLazy
I'm super interested in this. I have been playing around with adding vactrols to guitar pedals and controlling them with a moog cp-251, but I would like to hear more about your arduino method.

-TL
nickciontea
it is real simple.. follow the links in the info for the video (click the link)

my tech video has been held up slightly.. but will be here soon

nick
doctorvague
From thesquarewaveparade

ThinLazy
Thanks for schematics doctorvague, these ill definitely help the with the vactrol
experiments. Then on to digital .....
-TL
doctorvague
ThinLazy wrote:
Thanks for schematics doctorvague, these ill definitely help the with the vactrol
experiments. Then on to digital .....
-TL

I've posted that schematic a bunch of times over the years.
Thanks to squarewaveparade (whoever that is) for providing it.
Vactrols are fun to goof around with!
anthonybisset
It'd be cool if the manufacturers of guitar pedals formed an open-cv alliance and basically started building extra jacks into their designs with cv controls allowing all these petals to act as limited modular systems.
PrimateSynthesis
anthonybisset wrote:
It'd be cool if the manufacturers of guitar pedals formed an open-cv alliance and basically started building extra jacks into their designs with cv controls allowing all these petals to act as limited modular systems.

Most guitar pedals made for guitar players are purchased by people who don't use CV. So it wouldn't be worth it. Although some pedals have expression pedal inputs that can be used with CV.

However, there are number of boutique manufacturers that do build such pedals.
ThinLazy
I think Malekko will customize their pedals for you to add CV inputs if you ask/pay.
AXXONN
most of the simple schematic makes sense to me.

could some please help explain this section?

Moog$FooL$
i believe that is just the basic vactrol.

thumbs up
pricklyrobot
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
Although some pedals have expression pedal inputs that can be used with CV.

Yep, and a lot of them are 0-5V. So totally useable with modular, alll you might need is an attenuator.

As a bonus, you could also get a 1/4” TRS to dual 3.5 TS, then you can take the 5V coming from the pedal and patch it into a mixer on your modular and use it as a fixed offset.
AXXONN
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
i believe that is just the basic vactrol.

thumbs up

thanks - how about "resistance limiter" is this variable, as in I need to work out the right resistor?

thanks for the help
Rex Coil 7
Some devices, such as the Line 6 M5/M9/M13 (and many others), have expression pedal inputs. However, those send out a control voltage that a passive expression pedal attenuates and sends back to the FX device. Care must be taken if one elects to feed those types of devices with CV signals, they typically only handle ~roughly~ 2 or 3 volts, or even less.

That said, using a VCA to attenuate the control signal that some FX units send out via their expression pedal inputs would be a safe choice. Once patched up, you then use CV to control the VCA, which in turn controls the FX unit.

Then do this ..... Rockin' Banana!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1