MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

A Hex Zone Question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author A Hex Zone Question
Reese P. Dubin
If anybody has one handy or can recall, how deep are the boards for the rows of jacks? Looks like an inch or so from the pics on the site.

Thanks
Cat-A-Tonic
The jack mounting boards are 2cm = .75" deep.
Don't forget about the heatsink on the back though.
The total depth of the HexZone is about 5.5cm = 2.25"
There is a Fractional rack module depth list in another thread.
Reese P. Dubin
I am going to reveal my total ignorance of the concept of the sequential switch. Could some kind folk explain to this moron what those 16 enticing jacks will do for me?
Kwote
Reese P. Dubin wrote:
I am going to reveal my total ignorance of the concept of the sequential switch. Could some kind folk explain to this moron what those 16 enticing jacks will do for me?

lots of things. send an LFO to the master switch i/o then send all 16 switches out to modulate 16 different parameters. as it steps through, that switch will be activated so whatever switch 1 is connected to will be modulated first and so on activating and deactivating as it steps through each.. uh.. step lol

i generally use it for sending out gates to drum sounds.

the cool thing about the hex is you can program which switches are active on what step so i can send in a gate to the master switch i/o then connect the first three or four switches to trigger my drum sounds then program the switches to turn on in an ideal drum pattern.

for further clarification see the manual:

http://www.blacet.com/SS2800ManualBasic.pdf
Cat-A-Tonic
Good tips Kwote.
Do you usually just patch the Hex's gate out into the switch?

The inverse way of using the switch is to plug sounds into the 16 jacks.
Each sound will appear at the switch output when its designated step is on.
DGTom
Kwote wrote:

Oh cool! I had wondered if that was doable. Do you send in clock & then divvy it out to differant places or a static voltage?

Awesome to know that works!
Reese P. Dubin
So very cool, all of it. Im still not sure how each could be used as an output but I am sure I will figure it out. Even if not, this is more than any other thing on earth that only costs $250 could ever hope to do.

I shall be building mine this weekend, I reckon I may be the first to do it with bananas. If not somebody please post some pics and help me avoid pitfalls, although I think I have it all worked out pretty well.

I must say building John's kits is a supreme pleasure, big fat pads, extremely logical board layouts... anybody interested in getting into DIY would be smart to begin here, I probably should have.
Kwote
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Good tips Kwote.
Do you usually just patch the Hex's gate out into the switch?

yes. always.

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

The inverse way of using the switch is to plug sounds into the 16 jacks.
Each sound will appear at the switch output when its designated step is on.

werd. i did that when i first got the hex a fair amount. been awhile. should get back on it.
Kwote
Reese P. Dubin wrote:
So very cool, all of it. Im still not sure how each could be used as an output but I am sure I will figure it out. Even if not, this is more than any other thing on earth that only costs $250 could ever hope to do.

I shall be building mine this weekend, I reckon I may be the first to do it with bananas. If not somebody please post some pics and help me avoid pitfalls, although I think I have it all worked out pretty well.

I must say building John's kits is a supreme pleasure, big fat pads, extremely logical board layouts... anybody interested in getting into DIY would be smart to begin here, I probably should have.

you might be hardpressed to bananafy as all the jacks for the hex are board mounted. not saying it's not doable but possibly a major bitch.
Kwote
DGTom wrote:
Kwote wrote:

Oh cool! I had wondered if that was doable. Do you send in clock & then divvy it out to differant places or a static voltage?

Awesome to know that works!

the Hex gate out but you could send in a clock too. as long as it's pulsing on each and every step. never tried a static voltage. could work. generally i have all gates full on so that would be fine if it does. however my most recent stuff i shortened the length of the gate out on one of the steps for some shorter hats and i dug it so it would depend on my needs for the overall patch.
Reese P. Dubin
Kwote wrote:

you might be hardpressed to bananafy as all the jacks for the hex are board mounted. not saying it's not doable but possibly a major bitch.

Oh yeh its gonna be a bitch and a half. I will still be using the jack PCBs since they mount the face plate. I need to make cutouts in the boards in front of each jack to allow the nuts to pass. The flat side of the jacks down on the boards, with enough slack wire o connect and allow me to get in there to fix it if need be. Throw a switch in for the clock and I am good to go.

I figure it will be an 8 hour surgery instead of 2. So be it for the love of bananas.
DGTom
d'oh!

Patch the Gate out into the Switch I/O! Gate multiplexer! SO simple & elegant!

we're not worthy

Would be dead keen to see the Banana'ed Hexzone Reese P. My looonng term plan is to banana up my Blacets & I think the H/Z is the penultimate challenge in that. That is gonna be HOT!
Reese P. Dubin
Hex Zone can be banana'ed...just finished it.

It was NOT hard, even though I had convinced myself it would be . I will try and post some pics and more info soon.

4 Blacet kits with bananas in 4 days, all 100% on first power up. This shit is dynamite.
Reese P. Dubin
So yeah, I spent several hours figuring out how I would modify the jack boards for banana jacks. Best method was going to be cutting slots in the edge with a nibbler to allow space for the nuts. I assembled the main board and set it up with the face plate, and quickly realized for MY needs, the jack boards are completely unnecessary. While they do provide mechanical stability for the intended minijacks, ALL the mechanical pressure exerted on banana jacks is only on the faceplate. So with the addition of a few extra nuts on the main long screws that connect the PCB and panel to keep it securely in place and not squishing the LCD, the entire assembly is firmly in place. The hardest I will ever press on any component is the rotary, which is on the same plane as those screws, no problem! I then connected individual wires from each jack to the pad they would have run to from the jack boards, keeping them as short as possible. Then closed it up.

This was the most difficult part, but 10 minutes later it was all done. The folding of the wires put some of the LEDs out of wack with the panel, easily manipulated with a skinny screwdriver thru the holes. Tightened the nuts on the back of the PCB, power up.

Whole operation was 4.5 hours including eating a small pizza and drinking 2 beers. Not bad at all.

This thing is really truly amazing. Probabaly the best $250 I ever spent. And yes my FRAC RACK is cardboard boxes!!! The three modules on the bottom are encased in the box the mailman gave me containing the kits...THE CIRCLE OF LIFE
parasitk
Dude, your cardboard Frack-rack is tits. SlayerBadger!
BananaPlug
Hey thanks for showing us that conversion. Nice little sequencer, especially for the size and cost, and I'd really like to have the switching that it provides.

Questions:
Can you only chain together 16 note sequences or can you work with shorter sequences too?
Are the CV outs always quantized to "standard" note values? Looks that way from what I've seen.
DGTom
Reese P. Dubin wrote:
And yes my FRAC RACK is cardboard boxes!!! The three modules on the bottom are encased in the box the mailman gave me containing the kits...THE CIRCLE OF LIFE

SlayerBadger! So awesome!!!

+1 for THE CIRCLE OF LIFE

Great conversion & thanks for sharing!
Babaluma
dudes, you are giving me severe GAS for a hex zone now!

i am thinking of swapping out my stonz phaser and two dual linear vca's for one.
Kwote
BananaPlug wrote:
Hey thanks for showing us that conversion. Nice little sequencer, especially for the size and cost, and I'd really like to have the switching that it provides.

Questions:
Can you only chain together 16 note sequences or can you work with shorter sequences too?
Are the CV outs always quantized to "standard" note values? Looks that way from what I've seen.

yeah you can have a sequence loop at any step. often times for my drum patterns i'll just use steps 1-8
cavage
i may be stupid or loose it somewhere

to do that , i am pretty sure i had to put a patch betwin the step desired and the RST IN ???

didnt i ?

now it dont work no more ...

help me i think im getting mad smile
Kwote
cavage wrote:
i may be stupid or loose it somewhere

to do that , i am pretty sure i had to put a patch betwin the step desired and the RST IN ???

didnt i ?

now it dont work no more ...

help me i think im getting mad smile

sorry. that's incorrect. you could reset things manually and that's totally cool but i was talking about choosing loop on the gate setting of the step you want the sequence to loop at.
cavage
i feel in a dream state
i was almost sure i looped sequence using a patch ... well ...

how do you loop then ??

guess i have to find back the manual
smile
Kwote
cavage wrote:
i feel in a dream state
i was almost sure i looped sequence using a patch ... well ...

how do you loop then ??

guess i have to find back the manual
smile

sorry it's tough to explain. go to sequence mode then select the sequence you want to work on. set the notes for as many steps as you want. in this case we'll say 8. on the 9th step adjust the gate setting to loop.

it's that simple.
cavage
yes
erm
should have wait a bit before asking
such an easy feature ...

cant sort it out in my mind why i was believing i did it manually, anyway ...
Kendall Station
just posted a similar question but I'm new so cut me some slack yup....

When you say "master switch i/o", what are you talking about exactly....the switch jack that is under "output"? -
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2