MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Zorlon Canon
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author New Zorlon Canon
Nuuj
"This one lets you edit the tap configurations and register lengths for each output (and store presets), and has a clock input for the top section and 1v/oct for the bottom."

I was hoping to get mine undated to have clock in, but I guess I'd rather have this updated version...
Ankh
So the "old" one can't be updated?
Nuuj
Don't know, but it sounds to me like the new one is going to have to grow a few HP in size and would likely be a full redesign of the PCB.
jbartee
Afaik the new zorlon is a completely different design built around CMOS rather than a PIC. I don't think upgrades are going to be possible.
axm311
Nuuj wrote:
"This one lets you edit the tap configurations and register lengths for each output (and store presets), and has a clock input for the top section and 1v/oct for the bottom."

eek!

I'm so in
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
Nuuj wrote:

I was hoping to get mine undated...

when and if you do, please share your secret on getting your modules updated.
HueMonContact
I thought I remembered the Governor saying he's was going to offer upgrades so I did a search...

Looks like an upgrades will be available!

governor blacksnake wrote:
When the new hardware is done, an upgrade will be available. It'll cost similar to what the Tiptop Z5K upgrade cost, though... completely new mainboard and some re-wiring of the control board.

From this thread

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8562&highlight=zorlo n+cannon+update
Nuuj
With this new functionality I can't see how he could reuse the front panels.
HueMonContact
Nuuj wrote:
With this new functionality I can't see how he could reuse the front panels.

I was thinking the same thing...
I'm pretty sure the upgrade price will include a new panel. Who knows? seriously, i just don't get it
governor blacksnake
That's some old information. The next run of Zorlon Cannons was to be factory produced, and required a redesign because of this. Somewhere along the way I discovered that the old design really wasn't set up well for having a clock input added. I made the decision to completely redesign the module into what I always wanted it to be: a freely configurable 2-tap LFSR machine.

So, there will not be an upgrade path from old to new Zorlon. Sorry!

I'm trying really hard to have the new model clockable at video-friendly frequencies. Things are looking good so far.
science
I'm kind of glad there won't be an upgrade path. Instead of having one module I really like, I'll get to have two different modules that I'll probably really like.
ocd synthnerd
video friendly frequencies huh. Sounds like you've already gone down the hole. applause
johnnywoods

I'm trying really hard to have the new model clockable at video-friendly frequencies. Things are looking good so far.

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

I've gotten the current Zorlon to do some interesting things FMing video-rate oscillators. Once, I got it very close to field rate, and it made some very curious patterns. This is going to be MAJOR.
HueMonContact
That's some old information. The next run of Zorlon Cannons was to be factory produced, and required a redesign because of this. Somewhere along the way I discovered that the old design really wasn't set up well for having a clock input added. I made the decision to completely redesign the module into what I always wanted it to be: a freely configurable 2-tap LFSR machine.

I use the Zorlon Cannon in about 99% of my patches along with the Qotile and it would have been great to be able to upgrade it but I can totally understand why that's not a feasible option. Given the new features I think I'll have to purchase the new one also. Will the HP be the same?
lionelfischer
i love using the two middle oscillator outputs of my zorlon, will the new zorlon sound the same as those? (trying to figure out if i can sell my zorlon, or keep it for that particular sound
Veqtor
So, any news? Really stoked for this one!!! We can haz panel?
Low-Gain
jbartee wrote:
Afaik the new zorlon is a completely different design built around CMOS rather than a PIC. I don't think upgrades are going to be possible.

That doesn't sound right to me...

Can i get a confirmation on this Gov?
Oldstench
Low-Gain wrote:

That doesn't sound right to me...

Can i get a confirmation on this Gov?

Low-Gain
No i get the upgrade part.. the part i was asking about is the part about going from uProcessor to CMOS... That seems like it would be working backwards.
jbartee
Low-Gain wrote:
No i get the upgrade part.. the part i was asking about is the part about going from uProcessor to CMOS... That seems like it would be working backwards.

Probably there's a micro involved as well. Unfortunately I don't remember when or where I heard it, but as I recall the idea is that by using discreet CMOS (a shift register and an XOR gate probably, but I'm just guessing) it would more closely approximate the atari-era noise makers it's based on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_feedback_shift_register

Only Scott knows, so hopefully he'll chime in! There's always the possibility I'm just tripping balls.
jbartee
Well, I managed to dig it up:

The upcoming 2.0 hardware ditches the micro and is just some CMOS clocked really slow... closer to the "real thing" and able to have a clock input too.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8562

Zorlon Cannon mk2 - This is a new mainboard for the Zorlon that contains no microcontroller whatsoever, better frequency ranges, ext clock input, etc. I think the only drawback is that the FM behavior is now expo instead of linear. It might be a while before this one gets done, but the upgrade cost and procedure will probably be along the lines of the Tiptop Z5k upgrade. Details later (model 1986A "qotile ultimatum" will be finished soon btw)

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9016
Low-Gain
mmk. cool.
Thanks.
Oldstench
Sorry for the confusion.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1