MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Toppo Sport Modulator: Any Interesting Patches
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Toppo Sport Modulator: Any Interesting Patches
Red Electric Rainbow
Anyone with the sport modulator wanna share your patch ideas. I like this module but I don't feel like I am getting its full use yet, so before I put it up in B>S>T, I wanna see if anyone out there is doing anything kinda out there sounding with it.
johnnywoods
Have you tired cross-modulating it with something like a MATHS or Vulcan Modulator?
For me, the best thing is the vast number of different uses in a small module.

If you decide to sell, pm me w00t
vav
Yeah i'm having a tough time wrapping my head around this one too...
Bacchus
You plug the output of one into the S/H of another, put them both in cycle mode, and then press the other confusing buttons until it does the wiggly thing MY ASS IS BLEEDING
jarvis
There's some really great patch tips in the manual, have you checked any of those out?
Red Electric Rainbow
jarvis wrote:
There's some really great patch tips in the manual, have you checked any of those out?

Ya know I just went to the Toppo page and downloaded it. Seems super helpful!!!

Ill mess around with those!
jarvis
I consider the sport modulator to be the sample & hold equivalent of the MATHS. Lots of functionality for it's size
reignbear
jarvis wrote:
I consider the sport modulator to be the sample & hold equivalent of the MATHS. Lots of functionality for it's size

me too, they are also bestest friends. cross modulation paradise. It's motherfucking bacon yo
noisetheorem
I am seriously looking at one of these to replace my ASOL RS40 module. It has a number of different things you can do with it, while the RS40 is pretty much your garden variety SH + Noise module (and I can get noise from somewhere else).
fredguy
The sport modulator is similar to the serge ssg.

http://www.serge-fans.com/wiz_SSG1.htm

Explains some uses of the ssg and patching them up with the sport modulator helped me wrap my head around the module. It's up there with the maths as my favorite modulating module.

dave
jarvis
Ok let's start making this thread a patch repository!

Here's a fairly straightforward one: Sync'd cv-able syncopation
set both section to cycle mode, both with the mode switch off. Send an lfo or clock pulse into the top s/h input, take the top end output to the bottom s/h input. Set both of the s/h knobs fully CW. Now use the comparator output as a clock source for a sequencer, and the original lfo/clock to drive another sequence. Tweak the s/h knobs for different syncopations or modulate them with cv. I was using this patch to thwack an lpg with the comparator output for a kick drum and drive a pp/brains with the original clock source.
Rod Serling Fan Club
Can anyone explain the "buchla marf" patch better than the manual? I couldn't get it to work.
reignbear
Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:
Can anyone explain the "buchla marf" patch better than the manual? I couldn't get it to work.

here is an exchange from another thread here:https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31813&highlight =marf

fredguy wrote:
I just got a sport modulator and have been playing with the patch examples but am stuck on the following.

"autolag" sequencing ala Buchla MARF etc- TOP
section in LAG mode, sequencer [or switch] into the
IN of the TOP section. COMPARATOR out to the IN
of the bottom section, BOTTOM END out to the clock
in of the sequencer or switch. turn the RATE of the
TOP section all the way CW. turn the RATE of the
BOTT section down to around 8 o'clock for slower
stuff, up to whatever for audio. the smooth "autolagged"
output is avaliable at the OUT of the BOTTOM
section for your pleasure"

I don't get the sequencer into the IN of the top section. I tried running the output of a brains pp row into the IN of the top section and there's no difference between that and running nothing in to the IN of the top section. I'm taking my sequencer clock from the bottom END out and lagged clock from the bottom OUT. Gives a nice swing feel with the lagged pulse but I think I'm missing something.

dave

toppobrillo wrote:
Think u have it patched wrong. make sure the top sec is not self cycling. Basically all that is going on here is you are comparing the straight seq. output with the lagged output (bottom section out) when the lagged output makes it to where it's going, the comparator out will go low then high again quickly, selecting the next seq stg.( Normally you'd use the comparator out as the clock as well as the input to bottom sec, but incidentally, the bottom end out works just as well as the clock so to avoid a multiple, I suggested using that.)

But it would definitely make a difference if the top input was used or not in this patch as thats the other input to the comparator essentially, well post-lag of course, this is why in this patch you would keep the rate knob full cw to allow the top section to follow the seq out as quickly as possible. Of course u can experiment with both cv ins to change the behavior of the patch quite a bit.

hopefully that's helpful as i haven't had a chance to give it a shot either way.
vav
I dont understand this module at all, i'm getting really frustrated with it.
vav
I cant even get it to do Sample and Hold!
noisetheorem
vav wrote:
I cant even get it to do Sample and Hold!

Well...mine will be here Friday. Hope my experience is somewhat better than yours. Ill post what I figure out.
vav
Alright, i got it to do sample & hold, but it's not very predictable, and the voltage levels seem to HATE working with the uLFO's...
swiv
I was a bit weirded out by the S&H too. It is really stable/predictable for me though, what's the voltage swing for the uLFO? Everything in my system S&H's fine (Maths, MFB Dual LFO, z3000, René, Quantimator etc).

Sure it's not self cycling? Occasionally I think the input is the problem but it's the SM in self cycling mode. The "shared" LED for S&H level and LFO rate is what throws me off here, it looks like it's S&Hing (and it is) but the incoming signal is being mixed with the internal LFO.

Also the RATE pot needs to be full CW or it will slew the voltage before it's held. This can be super handy though, you can make some pretty nice melodies just out of slewing gates pulses!
swiv
ok here's a quick S&H/slew patch using the above idea:

-Grab some clocks from your favourite divider/multiplier and put them through some logic
-Attenuate to taste, input these into the Sport Mod IN. Set SM to not self cycle, and to S/H mode (orange LED on).
-Take the OUT and send to a quantizer if you want
-Take another clock division and put it in Sport Mod S/H input
-Mult same clock to Env trig->VCA/LPG
-Grab the pitch from OUT or from your quantizer and patch to VCO and patch through LPG

With RATE set to full CW, the highest and lowest pitches are set by your osc's base freq and the gate level. Gradually turn RATE CCW until the gate input starts to slew, introducing more notes to the sequence. Mess with the RATE knob to add more variations.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/swiv/sportmodseq[/s]

I also sent another clock to the free section of Sport Mod for VC slew (tweaking the rate near the end), and played with the gate sequence attenuation a little to change the range of notes.
toppobrillo
Quote:
Alright, i got it to do sample & hold, but it's not very predictable, and the voltage levels seem to HATE working with the uLFO's...

hey vav- it's very accurate up to the point where slew is limited as was said.. so if you want to try some basic S/H, open it all the way up and press the mode switch [yellow LED on]

the SM is good with any signal w/in +/-12V so could you elaborate on the levels thing a bit?
Navs
The manual + Serge Fans SSG pages provide ample patch examples and food for thought.

The SM has fast become central to my system, especially when playing live with a small rig.

Here are a few of my favourite uses/ tricks:

When sampling, try flicking between S&H + T&H modes. Depending on the frequency of the input source you can get some mad squirts of sound from an FM'd VCO.

Use varying amounts of CV from either the EO or output to FM one section, the other or both to vary the output waveform/ clock speed.

Feed EOs to a clock divider or multiplier and then back to the SM. This is great when used to generate sync'd staircase voltages or to 'freeze' the SM when cycling (LFO + hold!).

Use that comparator output! Because it's bipolar, you could feed it to a cross-fader to switch between the two SM outputs. Depending on the sections' frequency, you can get chopped up LFOs or new waveforms. If one section is cycling and the other is fed with a random/ noise signal, the comp out can also be used for bursts à la Wogglebug.

Lastly, I find it incredibly useful to have a pair of clocks that I can turn on and off at will.
vav
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think honestly this is less design and more user-idiocy. I've just never not grokked a module like this before and i was pretty frustrated...i've had it for a few months and i dont like being suprised by it.

lol

@topp what i meant by voltage level, specifically, is that the uLFO does -/+5v swing, so it was being finicky about ranges. I threw it through my leveler to bring it to 0-10v and it's much more scalable.

I was able to do a few of the patches suggested, so i think i'm starting to get it. I think i could really use a video on this one tho smile
mudlogger
Navs wrote:

When sampling, try flicking between S&H + T&H modes. Depending on the frequency of the input source you can get some mad squirts of sound from an FM'd VCO.

Feed EOs to a clock divider or multiplier and then back to the SM. This is great when used to generate sync'd staircase voltages or to 'freeze' the SM when cycling (LFO + hold!).

Loving the SM and use the above Navs tips alot - especially like the freeze + staircasing. The Noisering + SM is a killer combo. Heres a track below highlighting this :

http://soundcloud.com/mudlogger/amerikanka

[s]http://soundcloud.com/mudlogger/amerikanka[/s]
Navs
Nice!

The middle section of my Superbooth performance (from 7:25) is driven by the SM:

http://navs.bandcamp.com/track/trans-europa-exzess
noisetheorem
Ive had my sport modulator for about an hour now..I think we are going to be friends grin

Its a little confusing to be sure...but definitely a deep, deep module.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3