MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CGS/Metalbox Wave Multiplier vs. STG Wave Folder
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author CGS/Metalbox Wave Multiplier vs. STG Wave Folder
sgnhh
Opinions? There are some good videos of the Wave Folder in action, but I haven't seen much of the Wave Multiplier. Anyone compared them in person?
Mood Organ
I haven't had the chance to mess with the STG Wave Folder much, but judging from the demo it seems to be a little more musical.

The Metalbox Wave Multiplier (which I do have) I'd describe as more cold and mathematical. It can be hard to use in a 'subtle' way as there seem to be these cusps where the sound jumps off a cliff into something totally different.

With that said, I think it rocks SlayerBadger! It's a sound & CV mangling powerhouse for sure. It has a test equipment vibe, to me at least
Luka
i love my wavemult. so crunchy

i might etch up the yusynth version of stg's wave folder and do some comparisons. im keen to know the difference too
Mood Organ
I know somebody's got both of em!!! help
parasitk
Mood Organ wrote:

Yep Muff does, I believe!
chamomileshark
I'd be interested on people's opinions of the Bananalogue Wave Multiplier.
indexofmetals
I think they sound very different to each other. the wave mult creates new things out of a sine wave and the wave folder is more a warm v/c distortion device. I have the metalbox wavemult / tube vca combo module in my bugbrand setup and the tube vca does a good job at warming up / overdriving the wave mult but not as nicely as the wave folder.

the wave mult also has several different sections and at least 5 different outputs
tragedybysyntax
Saturday I should be able to do a demo of what an r-51 and a wave folder can do together. smile
Babaluma
am interested, as i used to have the cgs/metalbox one, but was never much enamoured with it. the stg demos sound great. tokyocat, can you bring your's over next time?
Mr White
Mood Organ wrote:

I will, but not until 4-6 weeks...

I have the STG and the TWF now.

STG is little more musical, with a very recognizable character resembling of something "resonant" perfect as an "anti filter"! I posted a demo http://soundcloud.com/whitesushi/never-know-stg-wavefolder-test where it could be taken for a filter, but no filters here...
instead the TWF is more darker, I'm digging more deep in it right in this moment...
obviously there are many ways to trick them to specific sounds but I think the metalbox, given it is the most full featured, can be da shiet.
those Kent's demo was a kick in the nuts...
Cat-A-Tonic
Babaluma wrote:
am interested, as i used to have the cgs/metalbox one, but was never much enamoured with it. the stg demos sound great. tokyocat, can you bring your's over next time?

hihi Sure thing.

The STG Wave Folder is one of my favorite modules.
I just calibrated it to extend the range of the gain knob.
It still works as a VCA if you turn the gain knob down to about 5%
instead of the old factory setting of 50%.

I love distortions and folders.
I don't find much sonic overlap in the one's I have.
They all have their own characters and uses.
- Malekko Assmaster
- Metasonix Hellfire Modulator
- BugBrand VCA/Drive
smoo
The Ken Stone is the only Wavemultiplier I know which does incredibly cool stuff to square-waves. The Doepfer A-137 is very flexible, but sounds thinner than the others, but I like it very much (for those thin sounds). I had a short run on the STG and TWF. The TWF does some wild stuff and sounds diffrent than all the others, and he STG has a really cool thick quality, but I felt limited in some ways, and will not eat square-waves. I couldn't decide between the STG and the TWF....
scozbor
any comparisons of these with the doomsday machine??

I have the stg and love it.
will soon be building the doomsday ambulance
well as soon as i get to it! hmmm.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1