MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

weird problem with b/s/t forum
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Announcements - Please read! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 [all]
Author weird problem with b/s/t forum
vav
So change the postcount limit to 250 posts and reset everyone's postcounts to 1, go have a beer, and stop worrying.

Love ya mike, dont stress so hard. You cant please everyone.
snufkin
hi guys this thread was not about the 50 post limit originally (which in my small experience I'm pretty sure everyone thinks is a good idea)

it was about an experimental change to code that meant that wigglers had to have a certain undisclosed amount of posts to even view B/S/T

I and most of the very early posters only came to find out what was going on as we were confused (not necessarily angry or against the new policy) we did however discus policy later

I personally had around 80 posts at the time but could not look at the forum ( luckily my only transaction there ever had already taken place last week buying my first case)

hope that clears it up for people meh

PS whatever happens to B/S/T ill still be here hanging out in video synth and euro forum building my knowledge and sharing anything I think might help

Thanks for the amazing site Muffwiggler we're not worthy
daverj
I can understand people getting upset if they lose access to a subforum for no apparent reason, and with no announcement being made explaining it. It's helpful if there is an announcement about changes that effect how things work. I'm sure that was just an oversight in this case.

A simple way to enhance the 50 post rule, and to block people that try to post 50 crap posts in a day, is to set two rules. 50 posts and be a member for 2 months. That'll stop people trying to post 50 smiley posts in a day or two, and give them time to soak in the community. If a change like that is made though I would suggest grandfathering in anybody that currently has 50 posts. Plus I would use it only to restrict selling, not buying. Even though it's possible for a buyer to screw a seller, it's not as easy or common as the other way around. And newbies do need to buy.

Just my opinion.
Babaluma
daverj wrote:
I can understand people getting upset if they lose access to a subforum for no apparent reason, and with no announcement being made explaining it. It's helpful if there is an announcement about changes that effect how things work. I'm sure that was just an oversight in this case.

A simple way to enhance the 50 post rule, and to block people that try to post 50 crap posts in a day, is to set two rules. 50 posts and be a member for 2 months. That'll stop people trying to post 50 smiley posts in a day or two, and give them time to soak in the community. If a change like that is made though I would suggest grandfathering in anybody that currently has 50 posts. Plus I would use it only to restrict selling, not buying. Even though it's possible for a buyer to screw a seller, it's not as easy or common as the other way around. And newbies do need to buy.

Just my opinion.

That's a GREAT idea!

I'm also fully in love with your term of "grandfathering [someone or something] in". Gonna have to start using that one!
VortexRanger
Quote:
I'm also fully in love with your term of "grandfathering [someone or something] in". Gonna have to start using that one!

I've always loved this term and decided to look it up just now, turns out it is exclusive to the US and actually was originally something of an attempt to extend limits imposed by slavery!! woah Not cool! Glad it has lost its connotations over time.
Babaluma
Had never heard it before (being from the UK), but I like the sound of it!
leitner6
So, let me see if I have this right. A poster with hundreds of posts screws somebody, now everyone wants to ban low posters even from seeing the b/s/t forum?
sandyb
leitner6 wrote:
So, let me see if I have this right. A poster with hundreds of posts screws somebody, now everyone wants to ban low posters even from seeing the b/s/t forum?

no - you are totally wrong.
i'd suggest reading my previous post in this thread again.
whitewulfe
daverj wrote:

Just my opinion.

I'll definitely second this suggestion!
Kent
daverj wrote:

Just my opinion.

theabsent
[quote="Muff Wiggler]Right now the future looks like no more BST forum and no more donate button.[/quote]

I want both! I use both! Bothbothboth!
infradead
Babaluma wrote:
daverj wrote:

Just my opinion.

That's a GREAT idea!

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Jim_Crow_laws
poppinger
MrBiggs wrote:
Who the hell are these people that register and then don't participate?

I guess I could qualify here as I've been around a couple years and don't have near the amount of posts that some people do. Personally, I'm content just to learn and be quiet, as I feel like often I'd add more noise than signal.

I check the forum multiple times daily, but only rarely feel compelled to post unless it's a topic I feel like I can contribute useful information on.

Some people just want to be lurkers -- they don't necessarily participate in the same way that you might.

And even though my posts are few and far between, I still feel like I belong to this community. smile

(And incidentally this isn't meant to be an argument about anything regarding B/S/T, just more about what might motivate people like myself that don't necessarily post a lot.)
daverj
VortexRanger wrote:
Quote:

I've always loved this term and decided to look it up just now, turns out it is exclusive to the US and actually was originally something of an attempt to extend limits imposed by slavery!! woah Not cool! Glad it has lost its connotations over time.

I wasn't aware of it's origins either. It's meaning is still the same. It's just the subject matter that it was originally applied to that taints it. It basically means: apply the new rules to new people, and leave the old timers alone.
Synthasonic
Add me to the list of folks who had items for sale on the forum and can no longer view them. I wonder if I'm allowed to bypass some of this being that I am a modular manufacturer, albeit a very small one? Probably not!

I will contribute something useful to this whole discussion, however, which is that if you're selling analog stuff, the Analogue Heaven list http://machines.hyperreal.org/Analogue-Heaven/ has proven itself to be very useful for selling stuff. I've sold well over $2000 worth of gear in the past two weeks there. Def worth checking out if you're looking for an alternative.

Gearslutz.com also has a FS forum, although I've had far less luck there. It seems to attract more recording types than synthy types... YMMV
Muff Wiggler
That doesn't sound right Synthasonic - everyone can "see" everything now. The only limit is that users with less than 100 posts cannot start new for sale threads.

Look in the "legacy" B-S-T forum, I'm sure you'll still be able to see your old thread.
Synthasonic
Muff Wiggler wrote:
That doesn't sound right Synthasonic - everyone can "see" everything now. The only limit is that users with less than 100 posts cannot start new for sale threads.

Look in the "legacy" B-S-T forum, I'm sure you'll still be able to see your old thread.

Oops. I was mistaken. I can indeed see my old FS posts.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Announcements - Please read! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 [all]
Page 5 of 5