MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Our first euro modules in the works!! "Stynk Eye"
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Epinasty  
Author Our first euro modules in the works!! "Stynk Eye"
tragedybysyntax
Well I've decided to start my own line of euro modules!! these will be... quite unique in function and my vision is to build a system made of modules for a skiff performance desktop box. (which we will be offering our own cases and enclosures as well) These will of coarse be all etched panels and etc.... I'll give more info in the coming weeks wink
Fnord
WTB Angry Cupcake.
tragedybysyntax
funny you mention the angry cupcake, you might be soon able to get one of those too, but from someone else.... even tho im working with him on those wink
indexofmetals
sounds very interesting. there going to be some kind of touchplate controller or something as part of it?
tragedybysyntax
mwahaha, can't say yet. wink
tragedybysyntax
however I will say... that the first module of 3 we're working on can be "played" or "orchestrated" by your hand.... a small kitten, or even a cup of coffee. 2nd module isn't as exciting but something I feel there is a need for in euro, and the 3rd is something just wicked cool. When I get some audio samples together I will post them on here as well as the actual module name when i decide smile
Fnord
tragedybysyntax wrote:
funny you mention the angry cupcake, you might be soon able to get one of those too, but from someone else.... even tho im working with him on those wink

WANT.

Has to be one of the coolest panel graphics I have ever seen, especially with those glowing angry eyes.
tragedybysyntax
awww shux!!!! thanks alot bro, I need to create some time so i can actually get that 4u panel done wired up, hahah.
qu.one
why so secret! share share share!
tragedybysyntax
I'll have audio up prolly this week!
I'd blab more but I gotta make sure it's cool with the guy that's designing this with me smile

However tonight I'll upload a shot of the finish I think I'm going to use on the modules. It was something I came up with while working on Chris winkles sun panel.
dude
when the stranger licks your balls in a forest can you hear yourself clapping?
tragedybysyntax
lol, dude.....
tragedybysyntax
So something like this if I decide to go copper.

Something like this if I go aluminum smile
Scaff
love
Low-Gain
"I got a secret. but i can't tell you"
tease...

lol
a100user
Low-Gain wrote:
"I got a secret. but i can't tell you"
tease...

lol

Bastard. Consider yourself waterboarded and spill the beans angry
tragedybysyntax
Okay... twisted
So... since my days of circuit bending and spending hours with my photo theremin, I've been fascinated with Light Dependant Resistors. So I approached Thomas O' Connor about my ideas and he happened to already be working on something similar to what I wanted except... WAY COOLER!!!
We're still working on tweaks... and soon will be getting some proto boards to mockup for vids/interest but.. 4 LDRS. 3 for the osc's and then one for the Lfo rate.

its a wierd set-up, basically its a VCO & LFO
but not like normal ones. The VCO actually runs at 3X the frequency of the
pitch we hear, so, each VCO cycle actually has 3 phases & each of those
is actually the output of another oscillator -> the ones the LDRs control

so

more light = more oscillations in each phase of the VCO cycle = more
harmonics / brighter sound
less light = less oscillations in each phase = less harmonics / darker
sound (all the way down to silence or intermittant clicks in total
darkness

but

the pitch is stable! you can play a riff & then use your hand to alter
the timbre, those 3 LDRs can be thought of as one, but because they
aren't its alot more chaotic because the resistance of each LDR will
be similar, but, never identical & you can stick your finger over one
to dull one phase of the waveform & shit like that

I mentioned an LFO tho didn't I... this is where it gets really confusing,
our LFO won't be modding pitch or anything boring like that, its
actually modulating
the data used to build the output waveform!! & with a switch it
becomes a fucked up fuzz
for the audio input & that signal gets sampled.

so, in my resistance to 1/8" mini jacks but at the same time realizing everyone in euro is all about those damn things... we're going to use 1/8" for the audio in/out and then bananas for the cv/frequency in. Also... I'm laying out a little 4hp banana>mini jack panel to sit next to the LDR monster.
DGTom
specifications subject to change without notice (rhyme or reason)

lol

playing with electrons in the dark.

Now I'm gonna go juggle me some knives zombie zombie
infradead
oh shit...

more DGTom madness hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper
nrdvrgr
Got a weevil hidden in there??? wink
tragedybysyntax
mwahaha!!!!!! twisted
andrewF
Nice work guys! applause
I was thinking Tom had been a bit quiet lately
DGTom
nrdvrgr wrote:
Got a weevil hidden in there??? wink

very much from the weevil / nic collins / lunetta gene pool, this vid is the more extreme end of this ccts. range because I'm feeding a little of the output back into the audio input. Doing the same thing with the CV in gives a slightly differant type of angry modem sex noise.
a100user
Totally mad. Love it.
Soy Sos
Big up bros! Sounds like a lot of fun!
tragedybysyntax
Yeah this thing is going to be a friggin blast! Over the weekend I'm going to design a panel for it. I made a new logo for the line of modules last night, just need to decide on layout and a name for the banshee. smile
tragedybysyntax
I've officially named the module. "STINK EYE" It's peanut butter jelly time!
mckenic

Sorry, had to!
tragedybysyntax
haha! I might spell it weird like "STYNK EYE"
tragedybysyntax
So this is what I came up with today.... starting to look pretty cool. The 3 white circles on top around the gears are going to be white led's behind a panel mount lens. Also, found these knobs I like alot but... .76" in diameter. Little honky... but we'll see. Just trying to find a certain type of knob to really set this panel off. Anywhoo... this is what I've got as of today. smile

Fnord
That looks great.
tragedybysyntax
Now... trying to think of a new finish but I'd want it to be the same coloring/style on the entire lineup. Thinking about building custom 4U panels to sell as well (fully built) but I think by then I could offer like 10 different finishes when you ordered.

So for this, I found these really badass knobs that are gray, green aluminum insert!!! only thing... 7$ a piece. Which i don't mind.... I honestly would rather charge more for the product and have it be not just a synth module, but a handmade piece of art. Feel me?

Who knows... might not sell any, but there will eventually be a mad max'd skiff full of gnarly GNARLY epinasty modules at my house. twisted
In the "etching" thread, I just put up photos of 2 new finishes I worked out last night. Might have to order some pee green dye to play with. Big thing is writing notes down and formulas so I can make 10 panels about the same finish.

Okay, need to keep playing with the panel art, peace
mckenic
tragedybysyntax wrote:

so, in my resistance to 1/8" mini jacks but at the same time realizing everyone in euro is all about those damn things... we're going to use 1/8" for the audio in/out and then bananas for the cv/frequency in. Also... I'm laying out a little 4hp banana>mini jack panel to sit next to the LDR monster.

Looking and sounding good!

Few questions if Im not being silly please...

I know you prefer bananas - will it be CV bananas only and an expander for jack to nana question IMHO silly use of HP, no offense intended just seems like an unnecessary step IMHO if this is the way its to be... have to seriously consider it as HP is getting tight... Unless there is more than aesthetics to it?

Any more demos please?

Projected price point/timeframe - ballpark is cool!

thumbs up
tragedybysyntax
Well, it's kind of an attempt at getting the euro people interested in banana jacks, and other modules like modcan/cyndustries/crazy DIY. Also
to get people building a crazy multi format monster.

But to answer your question, banana on cv and freq in and minijack for audio in/out. Buchla approach kind of... again tho, my personal ones will have nanners only, haha.
The banana to mini panel will only be 4hp, no biggie.... with all the cases available, nothing like it used to be.... and people are spending THOUSANDS on modules, just pick up one of our skiffs wink

As far as timeframe/price... hoping by end of June to have a proto up and running with some vids to show it off. As far as price... no idea yet honestly.
I need to talk to a few people and see what they think as far as selling them directly or trying to get analoghaven to bite. it's all in the air...Once ive got the board finalized and have a place making them up, I'll put a thing in the euro forum and see what happens with a demand. I still need to source parts, but soon I should be able to figure it out. smile
mckenic
Excellent! Thanks for the reply!

Put me down for one certainly!

I have nothing else banana so it will be nice to at least see how they work smile
sensensempompom
sounds very kool
i am very interested to see how this develops and quite possibly ready to invest
lots of good energy around tragedybysyntax's undertakings
makes it hard not to want to take part
darenager
Great stuff, love your designs, best of luck with it.

You doing multi format or just Euro? Maybe Fraccers would be into this too, great choice on Nanas nanners
cleaninglady
cleaninglady like
tragedybysyntax
Thanks alot guys! Frac? I think I should! MIGHT, do 5U as well. I think the frac... no mini jack. Banana Frac is what got me excited about building Otis to be the 3 banana frac + 1 4U monster that he is.

Plan now is, finishing design and deciding on parts tonight. Patina is ordered... Came back to aluminum since I've figured out how to make it look neat, And it helps keep the price down a hair on the modules in the end.
For colors... thinking all of my modules to be a mix of pea green, rust, black fill on graphics/text, then blowtorched.

I should be picking up metal for the prototypes Monday or Tuesday, then patinas will be here about the same time. Need to spend some time getting the finish consistent on a few scraps, I've got this gnarly...mossey...evil look in my head, just need to get as close to that as i can!!

Tomorrow, I'll be giving Thomas the final layout so he can get a few boards made up. Should be able to have all the components by next week or so. All is looking on schedule tho to having 2 prototypes up and screaming at the end of the month, just depends how long the pcb manufacture takes.

Format conversion panel design is done as well, upload that tonight.
AND... we are working on our next module, tentatively named "Sweaty Palms" REALLY excited about this fucker. You guys are going to love it... twisted
tragedybysyntax
Here are the two designs, pretty close to being finished. I also think I've found the knobs i'm going to use... just need to decide 100%

tragedybysyntax
You guys like these for knobs? I have to buy atleast 100 of them... but what's cool is a)api style b)raw aluminum c)damn neat design. Did I mention, raw aluminum? SO... in the picture they have clearcoat...anodized....blahblah. If I order 100 I can get them unfinished which means, I'm going to try and give you guys patina'd knobs! twisted twisted twisted

I've been looking for more of a military meets cold war knob but, trying to find one that's in my size margins (trying to the keep the panel normalish width) and places that have a big enough supply for a run of modules... been a bitch. I have a few others I like that I'm considering but.. basically it would be this knob with my "junkyard" finish, then matte clear coated. I dunno... going to have a shitload of time in these modules as it is, haha.

Just looking for feedback... thanks!
mckenic
Liking the knobs!

Kinda thinking about the format conversion panel tho - no offense intended just sayin is all. If I get this I also have to buy another module for it to work in my set-up as it will be the only thing in that format. Just honestly letting ya know where my thinking is on this...

How easy for the end user is it to remove nannas?

Love the knobs and cold war aesthetic tho thumbs up
Hi5
+1 on the mixed jacks being a turn off.

really should go one way of the other.
ersatzplanet
oh no!
*edited this by accident* SHITTT!!
-James if you could repost what you said, that would be grand!-
mckenic
Wicked!

This is warming up!
Low-Gain
Think the only setback w/ the 1/8 to nanner is the lack of a ground jack for the nanner side of things.
Most euro cases don't have the magic ground jack on the supplies or power input jacks...

It was why I just went w/ an external box design instead of module based..

Food for thought. Some people prefer the jack conversion internal but others want the space in their racks. To each their own I guess.

Digging the color scheme! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
numan7
woah awesomely awesome - playable artwork it so cool!!! thumbs up

cheers,
n7
mckenic
Hi Low-Gain!

If you could or feel like it - could I see the inside of that box? How the banana and jacks are connected together?

Of course, I understand if ya wanna keep it private or whatever!

thumbs up
Hi5
It is fairly easy to set-up your own converting panel or box externally but the issue I think for some people will be that to even use this module as it is I would have to have the converter panel/box and use 4 patch cables of 2 different types just to have voltage control. It is being made in Euro format so it sort of makes sense to follow the standard. Most people who would look at this device, given it is in Euro format, will be Euro users who all use 1/8th connectors. Why not make the panel 2hp bigger to accommodate both connector types? Now if Luigi is planning on developing his own entire synth system it is all his own choice but if the market that is being aimed at is Euro why not cater to them fully so you can maximize your customer base. The converter box/panel can always work in the opposite direction as well for those who want to use bananas.
Low-Gain
mckenic wrote:
Hi Low-Gain!

If you could or feel like it - could I see the inside of that box? How the banana and jacks are connected together?

Of course, I understand if ya wanna keep it private or whatever!

thumbs up

It's really quite simple.. I dont sell a ton of these but offer them for those who dont feel like messing around with it. But the info for this type of stuff is never a secret in my opinion. SlayerBadger!

Wire from tip of 1/8th to the corresponding nanner jack. Then all the grounds on the 1/8" jacks are tied together and then to a dedicated ground nanner jack.
mckenic
Thanks indeed sir! It makes sense (I must be learning something!) thank you for explaining!

Not too much of an issue for me so - just having to have dedicated cables and dedicated box really...

Thanks again mate!
tragedybysyntax
Hey thanks guys for all the insight! and plus signs!! I do need to decide on this jack issue... It's like... I want to help in the revolution of banana euro... but I accept it's quick fate, haha.

I'm as well going to do a frac format so... maybe i could just go 100% banana on those and leave these as 1/8"... but I REALLY hate not having nana's on the euro. I have some thinking.... 2HP bigger with both types is an option... or so is Logan's idea. I don't mind if you buy his conversion box and wire up your 1/8" to my Stynk Eye wink

James, I"m PM'ng now! Thank you so much for offering!!!!
Low-Gain
tragedybysyntax wrote:
I don't mind if you buy his conversion box and wire up your 1/8" to my Stynk Eye wink

oh i'll plug something into your Stynk Eye all right..

wait a minute.. hmmm.....
mikecameron
I really believe that commercial modules should adhere to the standards of the format. What about just making 2 versions? I would think since you're doing your own panels, this would be less of an issue.

Excited for this! Love the look!
tragedybysyntax
Alright...alright...... 1/8" it is. haha. I really like those kobiconn's? that metasonix uses. Anybody have a part# for those?
mikecameron
16pj138? That's the one that keeps coming up in the diy forum.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kobiconn/16PJ138/?qs=oQGaBZOgWEbaX SfkKZSXCA%3D%3D
tragedybysyntax
well I'm referring to the ones on the R modules... seems like they are pcb mount, nutless. I like the black ring you see... and feel nice. Hmm
tragedybysyntax
shaft.... modcan A, hell yes. Why not?.. it's one of 3 preferred formats for THIS GUY, lol.

Second of all... that means alot to me what you said. I'm no electronic genius like 9/10 of the people on this forum, but I do think of myself as a designer... can't help it, just the way I see the world. So I'm really hoping everyone loves the modules and you have a blast just taking off work half day to run home and make music. That's my goal...... seems reachable, haha.

Just wish my helper would hurry up and get here.... his train has been delayed due to a section of train track under water?! HAHA. Pick his ass up Sunday morning at the train station. Apparently he has people ordering industrial welded/etched/patina'd gas masks in San fran so.... looks like we'll be needing to hire a 3rd person by fall. THATS THE PLAN THO!!!!!!! Can't really bitch.... i love making art for everybody, would have no problem quitting the other 2 jobs and doing metalworking till I die. PERIOD.
tragedybysyntax
Curious what you guys think... James of synthwerks has graciously offered to let me incorporate his USB lamp-1/2 modules with the Stynk Eye. I could basically have it a separate module, or on the same panel as the Stynker.
mckenic
All in one!
All in one!
ersatzplanet
tragedybysyntax wrote:
Curious what you guys think... James of synthwerks has graciously offered to let me incorporate his USB lamp-1/2 modules with the Stynk Eye. I could basically have it a separate module, or on the same panel as the Stynker.

This is a re-post cause Tragedy edited the original by mistake!

In the original post I suggested our LAMP series of modules as a compliment to the Stynk Eye. They look like this:

Since the original post, as Tragedy says, we have been talking to each other about the Stynk Eye/ Lamp combo. I will be sending him a couple of LAMP modules today and he will have fun giving their front panels the "Epinasty Treatment". The next trial will be finding some equally wild USB lamps that will fit the look (I have some nice black ones I personally use on my rig I will clue him onto). This looks like it will be a very cool module.
-James
tragedybysyntax
Again, thank you a ton James! I'm working with the art right now to incorporate the LAMP. Only hitch with this is I need to figure out a way quick to get RECTANGLES for the usb cut out. Wish I had my damn plasma-cam already!!! I do have access to a guy's water jet table... might just have to get ahold of him to do a big batch for me.

Anywhoo... my brother comes in tomorrow morning at 3am, so all day I've been trying to clean out the garage/workshop further and get some etching done. I'm etching the name plate for the MONOPOLY case tonight, and riveting to the case. She get's sent off to Rotterdam monday! Also... got a call thursday about doing 3 rush panels for some guy local that's selling custom cabinets to owners of Google?!!!! Needs them monday so... been doing that too.

THEN!!! I just messed around with these while other things were drying in the shop... The bigger one is adding a patina to the mix called "rainbow'... added a really cool reactive rust to the mix. I really like it... the smaller one did NOT have the rainbow added to the pea green/black. Getting close to the look in my head... of coarse these will be black fill for graphics/text then this finish. I might order a GREEN green to mix with the pea green... we'll see. Faceplate ideas will be up later this evening with the LAMP, then once I get ahold of DGTOM, I'll be submitting the layout for pcb prototypes.

GETTING CLOSER! twisted
mckenic
Oh man! Those look stinky!
In a good way!
tragedybysyntax
Pewwwwey!!!!! wink
ritchiedrums
What is HP of the Stynk Eye?
Are you accepting deposits??
tragedybysyntax
Hey I'll check hp tonight. Still kind of up in the air based on if i use the Lamp-1 with it. James is checking to see if I can make the USB light brighter before i decide. I've been down for a month from a unexpected knee surgery so... I've got some catching up to do in the shop (and life in general) But the Stynk Eye will be happenin soon. Sorry... no deposits needed. There will be Plenty made forya once we get the proto up. smile
mckenic
Sorry to hear about then knee mate - hope things are looking up for you!
tragedybysyntax
yeah yeah, doing awesome. Just trying to get back to being able to stand alot without getting swolen. Tomorrow morning will be the first night in the shop in almost 4 weeks. SUX

Worst part was that this happened because my last surgeon fd up 10 years ago. Oh well.... either whip his ass or snag a voodoo doll
tragedybysyntax
Okay, back to making progress! I finished the layout last night and will be submitting the placement of parts for the pcb to be made up.

However... I'm having my brother redraw the graphics, I need to make this as ill as possible wink
tragedybysyntax
Oh and as far as jacks... I'm considering on 1/8" if I decide euro. *grumble* I almost feel like I'm selling out to the jacks that I loathe.... but... I dunnoz yet. Thought about making it a 4u or 5u banana (buchla or modcan a) instead. I'm really on the fence as to what format to release this on. I'll keepya posted. Euro is so overly flooded..........
tragedybysyntax
okie doke, pcb is submitted and will be ordering parts tonight for the prototypes. Jacks will be 1/8", trying to get a part # of the ones metasonix use. We're also planning a separate machine that will be desktop/standalone and with bananas wink

Also.... modcan a version is also In the works. I've got my brother drawing the stynk eye graphics by hand so.. expect a nice improvement smile
mckenic
MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Great that you are back up and around mate - looking forward to this bad boy!
tragedybysyntax
Oh as far as size.... it's sitting in @ 12HP right now. twisted
slovo
Damn, what has happened to Epinasty?? This was the most promising thing in Modcanland in a long time!
tragedybysyntax
Psssh.... honestly what happened with this project is

A: The guy developing the circuit decided not to get back to me anymore about prototypes / ideas / updates /....anything.. So I'm hoping he's healthy and everything is okay, and most likely just doesn't feel like doing this.

and oh yeah...

B: Metal got too busy on it's own very frustrating
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Epinasty  
Page 1 of 3