MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ADDAC102 VC FM RADIO are now available!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System  
Author ADDAC102 VC FM RADIO are now available!
__ag
Hello,

During the last months some people have been contacting me in order to be beta testers or to be the firsts of having the first prototypes. Lately i agreed on doing something alike, that is, instead of doing one single prototype before starting production i make some more according to people's interest making sure they get the first units, normally 2 months before they are officially available.
So this time i thought i should make this official and will have 4 units of this brand new voltage-controlled fm radio for the first 4 that get in contact with me.
Final price will be around 200€

this is how the front panel will look like:

all the very best
andre
mantiwhore
I've been waiting for this! go Andre go, Andre b'good!
richard
interesting!!

pm'd
Veqtor
Wow, you rock!
alexwhite
Very interested ! PM'd
knobs.
incredibly dense panel! very interesting!!!
Pascal
Andre stop whatever you are doing and start production applause
Fidgit
no short wave bands? waah
Carci
Nice !

That's one module I've been waiting for !
Willing to test it on the french radio waves.

Is it going to be digital or analog ?
What's the FM frequency range ?
a100user
Exciting possibilities
Carci
(and please make a red faceplate version) Mr. Green
mike sheridan
Fidgit wrote:
no short wave bands? waah

OH!!!!!! if i could use walkie talkies with this!!!!!! holy shit that would be rocking!!!!

i have had that idea for a long time, giving people ind the audience walkies, and ask them to supply the audio material... -

Guinness ftw!
climate
Really looking forward to hear some demos of this! ... wonder how fm reception is in my basement.... 8_)
__ag
Wow!
smile

thanks for all the comments!

so here's some more info
it will be digital radio
only FM bands
frequency range will be from 76 to 108 MHz (Japanese wide band) with 50 kHz Channel Spacing (trying to get the biggest range possible)

jumper defined for US or EU FM reception

all the very best
andre
thisoldhouse
what an awesome idea!!!
opsysbug
Andre-you rock!!
nrdvrgr
applause
richard
I dream of red too, looks more beautiful and more readible! Any chance?
Rod Serling Fan Club
I'm buying this!
qu.one
money sent - can't wait to get my hands on this.
Makingsound
I want one !

What was the problem with short band ?
mantiwhore
it's 8 hp, am i right?
ws9848
that is going to be awesome
__ag
yes it is 8HP!

and btw. all 4 prototype are reserved by now!

all the very best
andre
Nuuj
Have you given any thought to a companion FM transmitter module with audio input?
wowarz
we're not worthy

That's what i've been looking for for years.

Really aweseome!
mantiwhore
__ag wrote:
yes it is 8HP!

and btw. all 4 prototype are reserved by now!

all the very best
andre

i feel sooo elitist now razz
and can't wait to try mine.

for a truly effective usage, should I purchase also this: ?

wowarz
mantiwhore wrote:

i feel sooo elitist now razz
and can't wait to try mine.

for a truly effective usage, should I purchase also this: ?

[/quote]

Mr. Green
asterisk
AM / Short Wave bands would be interesting too.
too bad only FM.
bliss000
Very cool module thumbs up
resetlfo
Cwejman MMF-6 in high q level and with no input + symmetry , also giving radio signals .

i was shocked when i heard this suddenly .
qu.one
resetlfo wrote:
Cwejman MMF-6 in high q level and with no input + symmetry , also giving radio signals .

i was shocked when i heard this suddenly .

So will the MMf-1

Any news on the early models yet?
igormpc
__ag wrote:
jumper defined for US or EU FM reception

sera que funciona no brasil? hmmm.....

em todo caso parabéns andré, excelente ideia de um modulo eurorack fm com controle de voltagem!!! thumbs up
richard
hyper hyper hyper hyper
kjellb
I think it is important for a module like this to also cover AM /Short Wave. This makes it more interesting for noise applications.
nickciontea
very interesting.. certainly useful. considering purchase.

but i just want analog radio and AM radio so much more than what this offers
richard
hyper hyper
Carci
http://vimeo.com/26703051

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
BugBrand
richard wrote:
13th June -- hyper hyper hyper hyper

richard wrote:
14th July -- hyper hyper

Has Richard lost half his enthusiasm in a month?!
__ag
The first 4 units will ship today!
smile

all the very best
andre

mantiwhore
which one is mine? seriously, i just don't get it
love you, dude.
richard
arrived! urgh, I am abit confused. Andre I have emailed you...
__ag
Hello Richard,
I will prepare a PDF manual and will post it online and send it to you later today or tomorrow!

Best
Andre
tragedybysyntax
Andre.... if I picked up one of these, is it that hard to switch out the jacks for bananas? I really want one of these in my banana/euro box smile
mantiwhore

Received mine yesterday! Thanks Andre!
Here's a test http://modularne.info/?p=604 (sorry, it's in Polish but you can get some extra lulz via google translation) revealing the awesomeness but also several flaws (well, it is a prototype):

- swapped LEDs for Seek and Search (Andre warned me about that)
- swapped functionality for scan and state buttons in both Seek and Search sections (or am I getting it wrong)
- the playback stops sometimes, when patch cables are plugged in/removed. Power rebooting helps though.

Other than that, the module provides loads of fun, and static!
Carci
Hey,
What's the module depth by the way ?
bbow73
does it allow you to sweep the bands or does it jump?
mantiwhore
Carci wrote:
Hey,

About 6 cm.
Carci
mantiwhore wrote:
Carci wrote:
Hey,

About 6 cm.

Thanks !
58mm is cool, more can become a problem : /
richard
bbow73 wrote:

it definitely jumps - its very digital
bbow73
richard wrote:
bbow73 wrote:

it definitely jumps - its very digital

that's disappointing, back to looking for a radio tech for me
ripit
when will there be more available ?
and ... and... and... ???
qu.one
been playing with mine a bit this morning. not scanning any station with CV yet, actually just trying to find the best area for reception!

it's like instant Akufen.

here are some tame(ish) examples:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1994658/VCFM-1.mp3

Another one, but this time going through a Doepfer Frequency Shifter:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1994658/VCFM-2.mp3
richard
delete
qu.one
anyone having trouble with theirs as far as consistency in use?

some days it seems to work, others - well, not so much. the output lights go on when first turned on, then slowly fade out. no audio, no static, just nothing. it seems to only want to work in a Doepfer beauty case all by itself...
qu.one
and the reception seems like it's getting worse with each use.
qu.one
Bumpski
hbbk
hi dudes

any feedback of users of this modules ?
any plan to add AM band ?
cost please ?
would love to have one anyway ;-)

best thumbs up
z3r01
I only just got to know about this just today, always late for the party. Yeah really looking forward to this being officially released. Erm any updates? Mr. Green
__ag
Hello all!

New ADDAC102 VC FM Digital Radios are now available!

also updated the website page, here's the direct link to all the info + User's Guide:

http://andregoncalves.info/addac/?page_id=1212

all the very best
andre
dude
edited to remove fear
__ag
Yes,
everything works as stated.
grab the user's guide:
http://addacsystem.com/sites/default/files/files/ADDAC102_USERS_GUIDE. pdf

all the very best
andre
dude
excitement restored!!!
dude
well holy fucking shitz
first patch test yielded this:

it's still fucking going too. no fx or anything. clocks from peg>808bd and synthwerks prg4x4>vc tune. set some stations. BAM. sorry for the shit quaility, but you get the point. this took all of 2 minutes to patch. almost too easy. despite their obvious functions, it is a bit hard to tell what the buttons actually do simply because there is no visual feedback from tuning and my receptions sucks balls here, but other than that it is pretty total win. i can tell my new prg4x4 is going to have at least one row pretty fully dedicated to known stations i can get.

carry on
analogPedagog
dude wrote:
well holy fucking shitz
first patch test yielded this:

it's still fucking going too. no fx or anything. clocks from peg>808bd and synthwerks prg4x4>vc tune. set some stations. BAM. sorry for the shit quaility, but you get the point. this took all of 2 minutes to patch. almost too easy. despite their obvious functions, it is a bit hard to tell what the buttons actually do simply because there is no visual feedback from tuning and my receptions sucks balls here, but other than that it is pretty total win. i can tell my new prg4x4 is going to have at least one row pretty fully dedicated to known stations i can get.

carry on

wow mine doesn't pick up any radio stations at all. WTF seriously, i just don't get it ?
dude
did you try the radio reset? press seek+mute at the same time. it'l reboot after 4 seconds or so. works for me when i can't pick up signals. also how is your reception in general in your area. are you in the middle of nowhere or could you normally get good station reception with other radios?

i fucking love this thing.
analogPedagog
dude wrote:
did you try the radio reset? press seek+mute at the same time. it'l reboot after 4 seconds or so. works for me when i can't pick up signals. also how is your reception in general in your area. are you in the middle of nowhere or could you normally get good station reception with other radios?

i fucking love this thing.

Yea I tried resetting it and all that. All I get is noise albiet cool noise. Would be cool to know where the antenna is. maybe soldering a wire to the pcb where the antenna is will help? Andre is this doable?
dadek
i'd be interested in a better antenna solution. any battery powered fm radio gets loads of stations here, but not much coems through the module.
dadek
... but certainly enough to say this module totally rocks! put a short wave on the list please?
DoctorDoolittle
Has anyone used this module with a Mr.Microphone or other localized FM transmitter? I can't wait to get my hands on one!! nanners
Buckage
What is the difference between seek and search in regards to scanning stations?
DoctorDoolittle
http://soundcloud.com/ralphbarton/twisted-radio-entourage-at-the

example of patching with synchronized clocks test from cell phone with sky chance
DoctorDoolittle
http://soundcloud.com/ralphbarton/jared-bomb-bomb-explosion-in

This was also recorded with the android droid mobile app, sucks the bas s is gone but you can really hear the crappy radio, in the middle you can hear the clock get rotated and fuggly.
DoctorDoolittle
http://soundcloud.com/ralphbarton/8-pack-voltage-controlled

another example that really shows of the crappy radio music doesn't have any other voices in it
DoctorDoolittle
http://soundcloud.com/ralphbarton/you-didnt-have-to-is-really

I guess this is really fun lots looks like he's making recording 7 sages sound so weird.
lfomod
This module looks amazing and I have been wanting to try it for a while now.

I am curious if Andre or anyone might answer this or be up for the challenge:

Would it be possible to make a eurorack module that can transmit FM?! even at a small range of 50-300 ft. That would be awesome to be able to broadcast your euro sounds...
DoctorDoolittle
I got an fm transmit device, looks like a hockey puck with an antenna. Ican route a signal into the puck and receive it with my addac module. When the puck is near the receiver, the signal come es through a few bands, making it possible to send triggers and move back and forth between differing signal degradation.
thebrotherspus
just wondering if there would ever be any chance of an expansion module for the vc fm radio. i'd love to be able to save certain stations into a bank so that i could call them up at any point. i always find a few stations with great textural noise but then end up losing them and it can sometimes be difficult finding them again.
anyway, i just thought it would be cool to be able to save 10 or so stations to memory or something.
j.precursor
just wondering, does the fm radio work outside US and EU ?
VC_Wiggular
j.precursor wrote:

Not sure how this works but I live in London UK and I could only get 2 stations on it, for which I took 20 minutes to find. Sometimes I barely found one. Had to sell sad banana
painlessparker
VC_Wiggular wrote:
j.precursor wrote:

Not sure how this works but I live in London UK and I could only get 2 stations on it, for which I took 20 minutes to find. Sometimes I barely found one. Had to sell sad banana

Anyone else in the UK tried this module and had better results?

Edit: Scratch that, nation isn't likely to be an issue at all… Could it instead be that certain power supplies cause more interference than others? Or the proximity of this module to the power supply?
jenz
I live mine but I have to boost the volume with another module is it normal?
Bumply
great module! What kind of level/volume are you all getting out of yours? Mine is quite low, and I have to apply a lot of gain to match euro levels.
jenz
Same here... Not so loud...
Matos
Yeah. It's quiet as heck. I have to run it into a ssf ptg to use it.
jenz
painlessparker wrote:
VC_Wiggular wrote:
j.precursor wrote:

Anyone else in the UK tried this module and had better results?

Edit: Scratch that, nation isn't likely to be an issue at all… Could it instead be that certain power supplies cause more interference than others? Or the proximity of this module to the power supply?

I live in Canada in the province of Quebec and I pickup a few radio stations... Well enough to have a lot of fun... My unit is close to the power supply...
Got to reset the unit to a couple of times
22tape
About to pull the trigger on one of these. Before I do--

Is it really that quiet?

Are you guys not getting any stations because of weak local radio signals, or is it the module that's not picking them up?

Thanks!
jenz
Getting a lot of stations even in my basement...
Super quiet tho
jenz
The volume knob dosen't do anything and I tried with an offset in the volume cv but no luck... When I use the addac radio I use the tube disto from trogotronic(177) to boost the volume. It adds a nice saturation too!
22tape
Great, thanks for the headsup. I'm interested just in case anyone is looking to unload Guinness ftw!
ClausF
Nice module (as all ADDACs I use), but same experiences than other users here: I find more stations with a cheap transistor radio (with antenna) at the same place. So maybe a bigger antenna would help? This thing must have one, so I would like to make it longer with a wire...maybe that helps
A photo which shows the point where to connect this would help... Andre, maybe you can help?
monads
ClausF wrote:
... Andre, maybe you can help?

Andre??? Kinda would like to pick this up. But the antenna range worries me, plus no AM options waah waah waah
ClausF
Still no answer... cry
But there must be an antenna somewhere... a short answer would be nice
monads
Still no answer...this sucks! What gives seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it
ClausF
Agree. I really like their modules, sometimes not the design (white letters on golden ground is horror, only white on white would be unclearer).

This is a simple question, and if this is for some reason impossible, an explanation would be nice. I use a 5€ transistor Radio from flee market or the Radio Music Player (great!) now, both work better than the 102. Ok, no CV in at the transistor Radio, but what does this help if I have no stations?
I still use a few ADDACs (bought used) which are great, but if I get the same functions from another company I prefer that.... Guinness ftw!
ClausF
So, back into this. Still no answer, wow, that's what I call a service! But if nobody helps you, help yourself! So I decided to take a deeper look into this (as it is) worthless module to bring it to something useful.

Ok, what's inside? Let's see if we can find the antenna. I do not upload photos, because it's pretty simple. This thing is a few PCBs, three black and a little red. The interesting is the little red one. This is connected with the next (black) PCB via a row of pins and a (big) triangle of pins. And if you read how the pins on the black PCB are labeled, you find ANT at one of the triangle pins. Ok, that seems to be the Antenna. Just putting a croco cable to that pin increases the quality of radio reception dramatically, and I get a lot of stations now.

The red PCB btw is the SparkFun FM Tuner Evaluation Board - Si4703. Everything about this is on the web. And so the triangle pins get demystified: At this place normally is a 3,5mm audio jack for earphones. And the earphone cable serves as antenna. That's it, without earphone cable no antenna.

Buenos dias muchachos... Guinness ftw!
Mosiej
would be sick to have an input/output FM trancmitter as well! we're not worthy
Chartreuse-J
Question: Can this do rolling scan?

Edit: Got the answer, and yes it can do a rolling scan with an LFO.
22tape
So many unhappy users, yet nobody wants to sell me theirs?? hihi

PM if you're looking to unload one. Thanks! Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System  
Page 1 of 4