MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

3 Questions - via ether^ra
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author 3 Questions - via ether^ra
BugBrand
Thanks for asking John!!

3 Question interview (babbles from me)::
http://etherra.blogspot.com/2011/06/three-questions-for-tom-bugs.html

(edited - the link address changed...)
otoskope
Nice! And I'm happy to see that you have a past relationship with one of my all-time favourite machines, the Yamaha SU700! Deeply underrated (and with two fatal design flaws, which effectively stopped it from becoming a hit seller). I still use it, controlled by the G2 Patch Mutator, generating some serious complexity!

/Palle
BugBrand
Cheers Palle - yeah, I sometimes wish I still had it.

Two fatal flaws? Well I can remember the SCSI zip option being very slow.. (still better than the regular disk drive though)

What's the 2nd?

Yeah, it was a great machine - I never got my head around the MPC but thought the SU700 trumped it for quick and powerful sample manipulation (probably lacking on MIDI though - never used that much)
darenager
I think you'd love the Octatrack Tom
The RS7000 is another great sampler/sequencer too
You can sometimes find scsi-ide adapters, then use a CF card, I do this with my RS7000 and it speeds sample loading a fair bit, so might work with the SU700 too.

Great mini interview BTW Guinness ftw!
tIB
enjoyed the mini interview, thanks for posting. smile
otoskope
BugBrand wrote:

Two fatal flaws? Well I can remember the SCSI zip option being very slow.. (still better than the regular disk drive though)

What's the 2nd?

That you could never merge songs from different sets - they were stuck together for eternity.

And yes, the RS7000 (the successor of the SU700) is a fantastic machine, too! I got one when they were discontinued and sold out. But it's big and complex, more of a work station, and lacks the directness and weirdness of its little brother.

Thanks for the tip about SCSI-IDE-CF adaptor chain. I've been wondering about that. Will try to find those!

(sorry for these OT ramblings)

/Palle
indexofmetals
thanks for posting. there's another interview with Tom here from tapeop (my favourite magazine) that was only web published (and pre-modular I think) http://tapeop.com/articles/bonus/tom-bugs/
radams
Nice - thanks for doing your own thing Tom - looking forward to the future !
a100user
Always nice to get a bit of background, thanks for sharing.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1