MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

favorite patch cable manufacturer??
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author favorite patch cable manufacturer??
theinnerpalm
I initially invested in a bunch of super duper cheap 6' 1/4 cables to patch up my system, but I'm ready to drop some cash(or rather a bday present SlayerBadger! ) on some better cables of various lengths.

sooo your favorite cables?? colorful ones would be ever so sexy The Agonizer!
kindredlost
I have a boat load of synthesizers.com cables. These are my favorites.

I've used Rapco and they are fairly inexpensive.

Hosa has the multi-colored cables (molded ends). I don't have but a few of them. They seem pretty good.

As a side note, I use the Rapco "Y" cables from Musician's Friend. These are very good for when you simply want to run a duplicate out from say an EG to a vca and vcf. You don't "burn" a multiple that way. thumbs up
Christopher Winkels
kindredlost wrote:
I have a boat load of synthesizers.com cables. These are my favorites.

Moi aussi.

And when one of the 80 or so they sold me turned out to be defective they replaced it, no questions asked.
bwhittington
If you aren't making your own, the Dotcom one's are a quality way to go at a really nice price. I use the colorful Hosa ones. They are cheap and good enough, but every so often, I toss one in the trash. If you don't buy molded cables, you can always repair them.

Cheers,
Brian
Orbless
the dot com cables are quality indeed. I have always had amazing results with the Hosa cables as well, never had a failure with them, and they are cheap
Only cables I have had problems with have been from radioshack, have also had good results with monster cables, though they were acquired without having to buy them
dude
i love the hosa multicolored. i have had way more cables from a number of manufacturers fail. granted you can fix em as stated but i have good luck with hosa, i don't mind tossing one if it dies and the multicolor is invaluable for complex patching and signal origin/flow tracing.
rezzn8r
I've had to toss quite a few of the multicoloured Hosa cables.
I recently bought a bunch of synthesizers.com cables, and they are great.
Dave Peck
Another Dotcom vote here. metal backshells, color coded shrink tubing, and a good selection of lengths. And they cost about the same as really cheesy cables with molded plastic ends (that can't be repaired.
oblis
I'm a big fan of the ones from Orange County Speaker

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=g enem&Category_Code=tsqua-tsqua-patch
Just me
I've been hesitating on pulling the trigger on these simply because of the country of origin. Fancy website and good price, however.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130460439782&ssPage Name=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I've got some Multi colored Hosa and toss about 15% of them after a short time. But they are still a decent value at that. It's just that when a patch isn't working right, they are the first ones I check. I've also got over a hundred S.DotCom ones and none has ever failed. I just need a boat load of longer ones now that my system is getting unruly.
PrimateSynthesis
My favorite it to get a short snake with Neutrik ends that uses the resistor color code for each channel, and split it open. You can get even more colors if you choose a snake with more channels. All without ending up with unnecessarily thick instrument cables, or the crappy shielding and lack of build quality of molded cables. Although you can also get "quad four" or "star four" mic cable in every color of the resistor rainbow. I haven't had a problem using foil shields, but you might want to go for braid if you trample your patch cords. Both TRS and TS work for 1/4" jack modules.
sduck
You can buy them?
theinnerpalm
oblis wrote:
I'm a big fan of the ones from Orange County Speaker

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=g enem&Category_Code=tsqua-tsqua-patch

These are very intriguing.

So these hosa packs are 8 pack multicolor?? http://www.hosatech.com/products/339872/14_in_TS_to_Same
jl
I get the colored gls audio ones off amazon. afaik they are the same as the orange county speaker ones. I also use the colored hosa 12" ones. However, I am a total nub and have only had my modular for about three months. GLS ones come unscrewed really easily and it can be aggravating. Colored cable make things easy though - you can keep the same color for the path to and from each osc, or you can have hot colors for cv and cool ones for audio, etc.
sunsinger
I use the Hosa's too. And you don't have to toss them if they crap out. I put them in a bag, and when I have a collection of 8 of the same length, you can take them to where you got them, (or send them) and they will give you a brand new package free. They have a lifetime warrantee against failure. 8_)
bwhittington
sunsinger wrote:
I use the Hosa's too. And you don't have to toss them if they crap out. I put them in a bag, and when I have a collection of 8 of the same length, you can take them to where you got them, (or send them) and they will give you a brand new package free. They have a lifetime warrantee against failure. 8_)

Thanks, Ron! Did not know that. very frustrating
zapp550
Mainly hosa's here with the exception of a few dotcom cables that came with the entry plan. Who doesn't want a rainbow of cords on their modular seriously, i just don't get it
VinceL
Another vote for the Dotcom cables. I have about 150 of them. Never had a problem with any of them.

My only issue with them is that even though they have the different colored wrap at the ends, the cables are black. As my system has gotten larger, I found I was having trouble tracing some patches. So, I have bought about 40 of the Orange County Speaker GLS cables. With the multiple colors, they are easy to trace.

On the Dotcom cables, I have started using multiple colored electrical tape around the shrink tubing to make different colored stripes.
dude
i have had a bunch of the dotcom cables flake on me. of course you can fix em. also the metal barrels come unscrewed every time i use them.
diophantine
dude wrote:
... dotcom cables ... the metal barrels come unscrewed every time i use them.

Never had this issue. Granted, one of them came to me from dotcom with the barrels not "glued" or whatever they do, but the rest stay put.

They're a little on the pricey side, I suppose, but I like the quality and I have nearly 40 of them now. Really prefer them to the other cables I have around, but I haven't tried the others mentioned in this thread.
sduck
dude wrote:
also the metal barrels come unscrewed every time i use them.

I keep a tube (or several actually) of loctite blue around. Very handy for things like this. It's one of the little secret things I use frequently in module building that makes things better. Chemicals, making life better every day!
voicetospirit
Another vote for the dotcom.

But... only half or less of my cables are dotcom, the rest I built myself. I get the cable and colored
shrink wrap from a local dealer and bulk order the plugs from eBay. Throw in a good movie and solder away! 8_)
PrimateSynthesis
sduck wrote:
You can buy them?

Snakes and snake cable with different colored cables on the inside? Yes, you can.
kindredlost
I have a few packs of the Orange County Speaker multi-colored cables in the short and longer lengths. They are okay but some have crapped out and all of them are loose at the ends. Some have stripped threads so they won't tighten at all.

They sure are cheap.

I've got ~50 dotcom cables and I've never had a bit of trouble. They are actually the best deal I've ever seen on a quality cable.
microtonal
For 1/4 inch plastic molded cables I prefer Peavey over Hosa and other brands. Peavey cable resistance is comparable to hand built metal barrel cables, the plastic cable is thicker but more supple and bendable than Hosa, and the conductor plating is as good as Hosa and better than no name brands.

Peavey cables are available mail order direct from Peavey in 1 and 3 foot lengths.

http://www.peavey.com/products/accessories/cables/index.cfm/item/1845/ Color-CodedPatchCable%286pack%29.cfm

http://www.peavey.com/products/accessories/cables/index.cfm/item/1847/ Color-CodedPatchCable%286pack%29.cfm
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2