MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Unhappy Honda?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author Unhappy Honda?
John Noble
Hi everyone.

My new PH is acting a little strange, I think, and I'd appreciate some input.

First, listen to this (3MB .wav) file:

http://subfugue.com/piston_honda.wav

The audio chain is: PH -> Doepfer A-101-2 LPG in "Both" mode -> Akai MPC500
Pitch CV is coming from a Maths-clocked Doepfer A-151 and a couple of Maths channels 2 & 3.
Envelope CV is coming from a Maths channel 1.
Oh, did I mention there's some Maths involved? lol

All the "smooth" modes are engaged: both orange LEDs are on, and the "decimal" points are on in the numeric displays. Bank and wave are the same during the whole sample: bank 5 and wave 3 on the stock ROM B.

Power is supplied by a TipTop uZeus, and there's only one other module on the ribbon cable that supplies the PH.

Now to the issue: the static in that sample is present at all times but seems to lessen at higher pitches. It's not really pitched, though it does sound cyclic. Also, I was twisting the "discontinuity" knob during that whole sample but as you can hear there's almost no effect. I was able to find a spot in the knob's travel that produced about twice as much static (between 2 & 3 o'clock), but I don't get much effect out of it otherwise.

Is this normal? help
nuttymad
It's normal. I had one that would do this too.

Check this thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23360

More filtering will help.
Oldstench
The PH spits and hisses. It's awesome.
John Noble
Thanks for the quick responses. applause

I was a little surprised to hear "static" vs. the expected aliasing/grit, especially since I heard the latter but none of the former in any of the samples I listened to. hmmm.....
Oldstench
FYI turning the discontinuity knob won't make any noticeable changes to the sound until you start changing the hither or yon controls. That controls the amount of smoothing during wave changes. Fully CCW is completely smooth, fully CW is no smoothing at all. The dots need to be active on the bank that is the smoothing target though.
stk
Truth be told, I use my Honda more for the spits and clicks than the actual waveforms, these days w00t
John Noble
Oldstench wrote:
FYI turning the discontinuity knob won't make any noticeable changes to the sound until you start changing the hither or yon controls. That controls the amount of smoothing during wave changes. Fully CCW is completely smooth, fully CW is no smoothing at all. The dots need to be active on the bank that is the smoothing target though.

Yes, thanks. I re-re-reviewed the "manual" (Youtube video) and got that fixed in my mind. meh

I'm a little bummed that I can't use a lot of the clean waveforms as clean waveforms without filtering the hell out of them or dunking them in effects soup. Those upper partials are there for a reason, y'know.

OTOH, the "noisy" stuff would be nearly impossible to get with anything this side of a 259e.

So ... the HD's sines are a lot cleaner, aren't they? I'm not looking for perfect, I just want clean to sound clean and dirty to sound obscene. Dinner at the Y
Oldstench
Attached is a wav of the Piston Honda default ROM A Hither 0 Yon 0 followed by the Hertz Donut Primary osc sine being mixed in.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/oldstench/ph-hd[/s]
John Noble
Oldstench wrote:
Attached is a wav of the Piston Honda default ROM A Hither 0 Yon 0 followed by the Hertz Donut Primary osc sine being mixed in.

Thanks for the demo! applause

That's what the HD calls a sine? It sounds like a 20% pulse wave to me. Dead Banana

I thought maybe you reversed the description, but my PH sounds just like yours at the beginning of the file (a little raspier, actually, but I'm sure our filters vary).
nuttymad
John Noble wrote:

That's what the HD calls a sine? It sounds like a 20% pulse wave to me. Dead Banana

That's probably the sine with waveform discontinuity. The HD sine is actually really nice.
Oldstench
nuttymad wrote:
John Noble wrote:

That's probably the sine with waveform discontinuity. The HD sine is actually really nice.

AHAHA I didn't even notice I had discontinuity up halfway. That's what I get for drunken wiggling. Lets' try that again.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/oldstench/hd-sine-sw[/s]
John Noble
Oldstench wrote:
nuttymad wrote:
John Noble wrote:

AHAHA I didn't even notice I had discontinuity up halfway. That's what I get for drunken wiggling.

Hey, it was a good hearing test for me. I'm happy my ear-brain interface still works well enough to not go "groovy sine, man--.01% distortion, right?" Guinness ftw!

Quote:
Lets' try that again.

Rockin' tune! headbang

OK, that sounds much cleaner, thanks for the demo. There's some aliasing, but no static. It seems like a PH/HD combo is still where I wanna go. A couple of Z3000s wouldn't be a bad idea, either.
nuttymad
Haha! The Chewbacca Defense

John Noble, do you have the expander and extra roms in your PH? It'll really make you love your Honda a lot more.
John Noble
nuttymad wrote:
Haha! The Chewbacca Defense

John Noble, do you have the expander and extra roms in your PH? It'll really make you love your Honda a lot more.

I would have bought them but AH was out of stock. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

They said it would be a while before they had more--actually the implication was that the rumored uber-expander was either slowing down the delivery of more "regular" expander or was going to take its place. I may have misunderstood. They are still out of stock, that much is easy to understand.

Either way, I definitely want about 38 ROMs in my PH. I already have the Wiard wave program installed, and serial EEPROM programmers are cheap. thumbs up
stk
John Noble wrote:
So ... the HD's sines are a lot cleaner, aren't they? I'm not looking for perfect, I just want clean to sound clean and dirty to sound obscene. Dinner at the Y

HD's sines are very smooth.
Theres still a low-level, high-freq hash on the outputs though, must have something to do with the DACs Harvestman uses.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1