MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Joshua Light Show
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Joshua Light Show
johnnywoods
Not exactly video synthesis (although they do use some video elements), but close enough:

http://joshualightshow.com/

Not sure how well known they are outside of NYC, but they were the original light show from the Filmore East. I was just filming their live performances at the Hayden Planetarium this weekend, and in terms of "audio-visualization", I've never seen anything else like it.

Definitely worth checking out. Very inspiring!
ersatzplanet
I had a light show group in high school back in the late 60's called The Electric Mud and we did all the shows we could in the mid south area. We had what Joshua calls in that video a "classic" setup - 2 or 3 overhead projectors (depending on venue size) with clock face glass with oils and other chemicals doing the "blob" stuff, a couple of jury-rigged slide projectors with dimmers. I had a couple of old slide projectors with large carriages that were run with liquid tanks instead of slides. I lived in Japan before that time and had bought a dozen or so short 8MM B&W Sci-fi movies (Godzilla, Rhodan etc) and we used those too. On stage we had one of the best strobe-light rigs you could buy at the time - a dual head design that alternately flashed the heads and of course blacklights and color organs. We primarily worked for my older brothers band - The Los Angeles Smog Division (LSD) which was one of the ONLY psychedelic rock bands in the mid south at the time playing all the hits.
Joshua is totally spot on when he talks about figuring out the chemicals. We used a lot of stuff, many of which were flammable and toxic. We tried every oil we could, transmission fluid, gasoline, alcohol, anything we could that wouldn't mix and had a good color. It was extremely messy but great fun.
It never compared to what the shows are like now though - This video of the new Amon Tobin live show with image-mapped projections is just fucking mind blowing -

incase that embed video doesn't work - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WLrt7-kIgIM

-James
daverj
If the Joshua Light Show is still using their old methods, their "audio-visualization" is pure human hand/mind reaction. Pretty hard to beat the human mind for instantly analyzing and reacting to music.
johnnywoods
daverj wrote:
If the Joshua Light Show is still using their old methods, their "audio-visualization" is pure human hand/mind reaction. Pretty hard to beat the human mind for instantly analyzing and reacting to music.

Absolutely. Their methods have advanced a bit from the classic show. They still do the liquids and lumia, but they also have some pretty cool DMX controlled lights and motors, and they use a fair amount of video projection. The video is projected onto various reflective surfaces and then bounced onto the screen. It's a very cool effect.

I think the biggest reason it was such a remarkable show is that they have 9 people performing to create the visuals. There was just so much density and organic life to the images.
kjellb
Along the same lines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crd-3PgxyZo

Metamkine is a great French live film and music performance group.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1