MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Minimoog replica PCBs.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Minimoog replica PCBs.
polyroy
Don't know if this has been posted but synthrestore in the UK are offering Minimoog PCBs, which are apparently

'are made to the closest spec. using exact components (where possible) and matched transistors (where required).

The PCB track layout and component sizes are almost identical, therefore giving the correct signal path, retaining the same rich fat Moog sound.
'

Expensive but thought it'd be worth letting the hardcore DIYers know thumbs up

Link here: http://www.synthrestore.co.uk/products.htm#minimoog
decaying.sine
I wish they had a little more information about these PCBs. How on earth did they ever get away with selling replicas like this?

You could get a full model D for $1300 or so more.
suitandtieguy
this is great news.
zapp550
Sorry to be semi off topic, but does anybody know where I can find an odyssey slider replacement kit in the states?
paults
Well, the cat's out of the bag! Who knew all along the famous MiniMoog 'fat sound' was due to pc board layout? Damn! Dead Banana very frustrating
polyroy
Yeah not alot of info at the moment on the website, but if you email the guy (Adrian) i'm sure he'll help you out with as much details as possible. He's a nice bloke and considering he's about 30 minutes from my house, I should probably send some of my synths in to him at some point for a tune up.

paults wrote:
Well, the cat's out of the bag! Who knew all along the famous MiniMoog 'fat sound' was due to pc board layout? Damn! Dead Banana very frustrating

I heard if you handpick the right resistors, your solos sound more like Rick Wakeman lol
negativspace
Man, pricey PCBs but considering the cost of a Mini these days it's really not a bad option. 10 to 1 I'll end up ordering 'em all... this damned hobby will be the death of me, I swear it.
polyroy
Would be interested to see how these sound. I'd imagine these have been manufactured for replacement mini pcbs in case one is ever fucked beyond repair, which is a great option to have for minimoog users and also for people who might want a Moog oscillator and filter behind a panel in their own system.
negativspace
Yeah, I am definitely one of those who always wanted to modularize a Mini but never had the balls (or disposable income) to hack into a real one... Mr. Green

If I interpret the short description correctly, these come stuffed?
polyroy
That's what I wasn't too sure about tbh, best to give him an email and see what's what. That'd be awesome if they were, get them wired up and behind a panel quicker and you've got your own fake Moog. A Foog if you will!
negativspace
Yes, I'm sure he'll clear it right up in an email. I've dealt with Adrian fairly recently - I had my Mk2 Odyssey re-slidered a few months ago - and he's very helpful.
ringstone
Hmm... those ARP sub-modules sure do look tasty too love

Blair
Peake
Shame on them for not specifying which version of the oscillator board...the later "stable" version isn't very interesting at all, and that deliniation should be stated so that prospective purchasers can make an educated decision.

But overall, good news.
sanders
These are definitely replacement cards, and as such require +-10v. Not a big deal, but worth pointing out.

I'm guessing these are the later version "stable" VCO boards, as they'd be easier to manufacture to spec. Even so, it's pretty cool. Incidentally, this website also offers many Arp sub-modules, equally as cool IMO.

There's someone else on the web who has already posted DIY layouts, PCB art, and parts placement for the whole MiniMoog:

http://sites.google.com/site/minimoogwiki/home/pcb-artwork

-- I'd definitely go this route if I was trying to reproduce a Mini (which I'd probably be doing if I didn't own one already).

This would make a really great project, seeing as someone already offes the MiniMoog wooden cabinet, mod-wheel assembly, and someone else the vinyl panel overlay. All one would have to do is make the aluminum enclosure and assemble the PCBs inside.
dougt
If he's smart he'd do the earlier 3046 VCO based board. The later one has 726 VCOs which are a lot harder to find...
Peake
Well, if exchange rates are about 50% for the Euro, that would be what, $450.00 for three Minimoog oscillators, minus power supply and panel/hardware...still beats the pookie out of anything at or anywhere near that price. Someone should make some Mu panels for this, and educate an entire generation.
negativspace
Kinda exactly what I was thinking... at the current exchange rate it's $489 for the VCO board, $472 for the others. Definitely got my eye on these.
dougt
You could probably make your own board for Mr. Green
Nothing too complex there.
toppobrillo
Quote:
Kinda exactly what I was thinking... at the current exchange rate it's $489 for the VCO board, $472 for the others. Definitely got my eye on these.

wow help
negativspace
It's more about time than money... seriously, i just don't get it
Luka
depends on how much you charge for your own time
toppobrillo
Quote:
It's more about time than money...
hm?
toppobrillo
Quote:
totally.. i was just surprised at the cost of the populated boards alone.
andrewF
toppobrillo wrote:
Quote:
totally.. i was just surprised at the cost of the populated boards alone.

These are not aimed at DIYers -
Those ARP clones: a 2x2" pcb with $3 of components for circa $200..... applause

Assuming the seller is a qualified tech, or even an EE, his time is worth $$ and obviously this is his business not his hobby. No doubt the price reflects the hours he has put into these boards.

Imagine if Ken Stone or Ray Wilson viewed their PCBs the same way?? You can be sure these guys put many many hours into R&D, so by rights their PCBs should cost a shitload more than $20 each. We are fkn lucky!
toppobrillo
Quote:
These are not aimed at DIYers -
Those ARP clones: a 2x2" pcb with $3 of components for circa $200..... applause

Assuming the seller is a qualified tech, or even an EE, his time is worth $$ and obviously this is his business not his hobby. No doubt the price reflects the hours he has put into these boards.

Imagine if Ken Stone or Ray Wilson viewed their PCBs the same way?? You can be sure these guys put many many hours into R&D, so by rights their PCBs should cost a shitload more than $20 each. We are fkn lucky!

yeah, but, it's pretty much paint by numbers, assuming these are 1:1 clones, as I'm sure they'd have no less/more. circuits are tried and true and PCB art's done, so not quite the same thing.. btw
I'm pretty sure this stuff is more than just a hobby for both the diy'ers you mentioned. and yeah I'm aware of these "many many hours" you speak of smile i make stuff too.

edit: sorry, I feel like my comment kind of derailed this thread waah
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2