MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Aries Modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Aries Modules
davebr
I'm repairing four Aries Modules for a fellow synth enthusiast and thought I'd put together some Aries pages with photos, schematics, and scope images on my website.

So far I've updated these two pages with documentation, modifications and scope images:
AR312 Envelope Generator
AR-324 Dual LFO / Lag / Inverter

I'm just starting to work on these modules so I just have documentation and photos for now:
AR-317 VCO
AR-318 S&H / Clock / Noise

You don't see too much information on Aries so I thought I would post my learnings. The first learning is that these were kits and so were not built correct to begin with. I have been unable to find any PCB layout information and some parts are placed pretty random on the PCB so troubleshooting is slow.

Enjoy.

Dave
bubblesound
thanks for posting this stuff.
rkilman
Awesome!! Thanks Dave!
Morley
I had a system and an old friend, Robert Leiner, has always used a largeish system and anyone who knows his music will appreciate the quality of his sounds... Excellent stuff.
Nicely laid out systems and I liked how it sounded. If one turned up I'd buy it. They were always affordable. These days I guess they would go for more than I'd pay though.
Here is Roberts page about Aries

http://www.leinermedia.net/aries/home.html

And here is Roberts system
CZ Rider
Thanks for posting the info Dave!
I drooled over those Aries systems back in the late 70's.
Finally found a system that was built then stored for 30 years.
Put it in a proper walnut cab. I'll have to post some samples/vids.
The only module I would like to add is the original AR-314 filter.

gwaidan
davebr wrote:
I'm repairing four Aries Modules for a fellow synth enthusiast and thought I'd put together some Aries pages with photos, schematics, and scope images on my website.

So far I've updated these two pages with documentation, modifications and scope images:
AR312 Envelope Generator

I'm just starting to work on these modules so I just have documentation and photos for now:
AR-317 VCO

You don't see too much information on Aries so I thought I would post my learnings. The first learning is that these were kits and so were not built correct to begin with. I have been unable to find any PCB layout information and some parts are placed pretty random on the PCB so troubleshooting is slow.

Enjoy.

Dave

I'd suggest you check out Mark Glinsky's Manuals Manor-I bought a few Aries build manuals from him recently including the AR-317 one which includes detailed calibration instructions although the component overlay diagram is missing (apparently it was not attached to the rest of the documentation so could easily get lost) Would be worthwhile for your repair job and he only charges 4 bucks per PDF manual. He's an Aries fan himself so might be worth it for the conversation...

http://www.markglinsky.com/ManualManor.html
Morley
davebr wrote:

AR312 Envelope Generator

AR-317 VCO

Enjoy.

Dave

I actually have a big folder of Aries docs. I will dig them out and see what is there. 4 A4 envelopes full
Morley
I just looked and found. Manual, PCB layouts, assembly procedures, schematics, parts lists, catalogues...
Price list and catalogue from Ron Rivera too
The whole kaboodle.
Not sure if all modules are there but it's a lot of stuff. I can try and dig out what you might need.
David
gryfon1
I'd be happy to help with the effort of getting all this scanned and up on the web. I don't currently have a site I could use but that is likely to be coming within a (very) few months. But scanner and time I've got ;-)

cheers,
the gryfon
chamomileshark
thanks for posting!
pugix
Nice photos. Thanks!

I recall getting a couple of Aries VCOs in the seventies and putting them behind a different panel. Must of been able to get them without the panels, or we tossed the panels. I distinctly remember part of the circuit being potted, so I wasn't able to completely reverse engineer it by drawing the schematic.
wavecircle
This is really interesting stuff. You can see how heavily the Wiard 300 series is influence by these modules. Even the coding is similar.
davebr
I would greatly appreciate anything on the 317 and 318 as I haven't yet started to work on those. I would also appreciate information on the 312 and 324 to complete those web pages.

I'd be happy to host any Aries scanned information as long as it's a reasonable size. I have a fair amount of webspace left. I could host them in the interim if someone else wants to host it later or I can build an Aries section of my web.

My email can be found on my home page.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

Morley wrote:
I just looked and found. Manual, PCB layouts, assembly procedures, schematics, parts lists, catalogues...
The whole kaboodle.
Not sure if all modules are there but it's a lot of stuff. I can try and dig out what you might need.
David
meatcliff
i built a few date accurate clones of the aries low pass filter last year... sounded beautiful. i hope to make a few more aries modules for my next system.
rasseru
Morley wrote:
an old friend, Robert Leiner, ]

'visions of the past' has some really amazingly melancholic parts in it.

everyone interested in synthesis should check that album out
gwaidan
pugix wrote:
Nice photos. Thanks!

I recall getting a couple of Aries VCOs in the seventies and putting them behind a different panel. Must of been able to get them without the panels, or we tossed the panels. I distinctly remember part of the circuit being potted, so I wasn't able to completely reverse engineer it by drawing the schematic.

Talking of which, this seems to work as a reverse engineer of the generic potted module-I've breadboarded a clone of the AR314 filter and this does the job just fine using a 3904 and a couple of 3906s (please excuse my crappy drafting skills).

Going to try putting it in a potting box with araldite soon...mmm, epoxy fumes... nanners
Morley
davebr wrote:
I would greatly appreciate anything on the 317 and 318 as I haven't yet started to work on those. I would also appreciate information on the 312 and 324 to complete those web pages.

I'd be happy to host any Aries scanned information as long as it's a reasonable size. I have a fair amount of webspace left. I could host them in the interim if someone else wants to host it later or I can build an Aries section of my web.

My email can be found on my home page.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

Morley wrote:
The whole kaboodle.
David

Will dig though them Dave
Morley
rasseru wrote:
Morley wrote:

Agreed. He knows about sound. We keep saying we should do something together but we never do...
rasseru
Morley wrote:
rasseru wrote:
Morley wrote:

Agreed. He knows about sound. We keep saying we should do something together but we never do...

its one of the only techno albums that has made me cry, and, quite a nice story - I played it to my current girlfriend and she cried at the same parts
Morley
rasseru wrote:

its one of the only techno albums that has made me cry, and, quite a nice story - I played it to my current girlfriend and she cried at the same parts

It's not that bad!
hyper
Seriously, I can see that. It's got depth to it and emotion. A GREAT album.
davebr
gwaidan wrote:
Talking of which, this seems to work as a reverse engineer of the generic potted module-I've breadboarded a clone of the AR314 filter and this does the job just fine using a 3904 and a couple of 3906s (please excuse my crappy drafting skills).

Going to try putting it in a potting box with araldite soon...mmm, epoxy fumes... nanners

I had come up with the same schematic for the expo converter by analysis of the schematic. When you turn the PCB over and look at the trace patterns the circuit is pretty clear. Thanks for confirming the circuit and prototype. I put schematics and rear PCB images on my site.

I've finished up the AR-312 EG, AR-318 S&H, and the AR324 Dual LFO. I've updated all those pages with scope images, modifications, and measurements.

I've just started working on the AR-317 and have the core running. There is no voltage control but I'm thinking (hoping) the expo converter must be OK since it is sourcing current to both circuits. The circuits are all pretty straightforward but tracing them with all the jumble of wires to the rear connector is a pain.

My Aries page

Dave
davebr
davebr wrote:
I've just started working on the AR-317 and have the core running. There is no voltage control but I'm thinking (hoping) the expo converter must be OK since it is sourcing current to both circuits. The circuits are all pretty straightforward but tracing them with all the jumble of wires to the rear connector is a pain.

My Aries page

Dave

Ok, now I need help. It is the expo converter that is bad. I think it's just the first NPN transistor. The trouble is I can't get the module off the PCB. I have wicked all the solder and every pin is loose. I'm thinking they soldered these parts in, put a form around it, and potted it on and to the PCB.

Does anyone know how the potted module was installed?

I hate to cut the runs and put an expo converter on the back. Seems like a lot of hacking, but I don't see any other way. Suggestions?

Sheesh. - Dave
gwaidan
As soon as I saw your photo of the underside of the potted-module I had a horrible feeling that they had done the potted module ghetto-style by just epoxying around the board components.

Just checked the build notes and it appears the PC boards for the AR-314 and AR-317 both came with the module pre-installed as there's no mention of it in the build instructions or the parts list-only in the (later) AR-327 filter do they list it separately in the parts list and give instructions how to install it...

PS a bit of trivia from the build notes-they suggest a way to add linear FM by soldering a 330k resistor from an unused jack to the junction of R70 and pin 4 of the expo convertor
davebr
gwaidan wrote:
As soon as I saw your photo of the underside of the potted-module I had a horrible feeling that they had done the potted module ghetto-style by just epoxying around the board components.

Just checked the build notes and it appears the PC boards for the AR-314 and AR-317 both came with the module pre-installed as there's no mention of it in the build instructions or the parts list-only in the (later) AR-327 filter do they list it separately in the parts list and give instructions how to install it...

PS a bit of trivia from the build notes-they suggest a way to add linear FM by soldering a 330k resistor from an unused jack to the junction of R70 and pin 4 of the expo converter

Thanks much. That confirms my suspicion. I think there is nearly 1 in sq of potting to the PCB. This is never going to come off. I did confirm it is only the NPN that is bad, so I think I will just epoxy one to the side with the tempco. I think that should work fine.

Thanks for the tip on the linear FM.

Dave
davebr
davebr wrote:
Thanks much. That confirms my suspicion. I think there is nearly 1 in sq of potting to the PCB. This is never going to come off. I did confirm it is only the NPN that is bad, so I think I will just epoxy one to the side with the tempco. I think that should work fine.

Dave

I did epoxy a NPN to the side of U8. I drilled three small holes in the PCB and fit the transistor in such a way that all three leads simply bent and soldered to their respective traces. It came out pretty good and the VCO doesn't drift over several hours. This was the last module to repair so I've put new photos and scope images on the AR-317 page and updated the other pages.

Aries repair pages

Dave

Before Epoxy:

After Epoxy:
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2