MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

love and rockets
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author love and rockets
numan7
hmmm..... Anyone know what video processing Love and Rockets used for their music videos from the 1980s (like the below and 'Mirror People' for example)?

I'm guessing Jones Colorizer - since i think I can almost exactly reproduce effect in the video using MVIP! thumbs up

cheers,
n7
lizlarsen
That looks like some sort of digital hue-mapped colorizer effect to me -- maybe Fairlight CVI? I could be off here. In that respect it would be similar to the MVIP. It doesn't look like the Jones Colorizer at ETC to me, which is a very different device from the colorizer effect in the MVIP from what I understand.
numan7
SlayerBadger! Sounds like it was a cool little box:

Synopsis:
The Fairlight CVI (computer video instrument) is an Australian made digital video FX and paint box made in the mid 80s. It is very low res, and not quite full screen, but it is very much a real time effects box with very easy to use and fast analogue controls. (great for live work). Some of the effect functionality available with the CVI are: dual chroma keyer, mirror effects, psychedelic colorization, chunky stretch and zoom, picture freeze, live paintbox. The twin video channels in are automatically genlocked, and RGB ins & outs are standard in addition to composite connections.

'Picture freeze' sounds especially fun in a modular synthesis context - hmmm..... will any of the upcoming Visionary modules, like CVD, have something like that?

cheers,
n7
daverj
It's possible that it's a Fairlight. There were other commercial devices (TV studio effects units) that had that ability in the 80s too.

And it is an effect that is fairly easy with the MVIP's Bitswap feature.

"Picture freeze" is something that most full frame TBCs have built in. My TBC for my upcoming video synth certainly does, and I would assume Lar's planned TBC probably does too. It's also a feature of my Frame Buffer (both my original ones from the 70s and 80s, and the new one for the modular).
lizlarsen
The Fairlight CVI was an incredible hybrid analogue/digital video effects device/mixer. The LZX Triple Video Fader & Key Generator is very similar to the analogue section of the Fairlight CVI, all patched out! (Specifically the keying and chroma keying methods the CVI used, can be patched up with the TVFKG.)

And yep, the CVD will do pushbutton-triggered freezeframe, and with the modulation expander module, will have trigger input for freeze-frame as well. A lot of the features on the CVD will cover a lot of the other Fairlight CVI buffer effects as well, and the other frame buffer we've got coming (Reprogrammable Video Frame Buffer) will come with programs for all the other Fairlight CVI buffer effects not covered by the CVD. You can think of CVD as the more "utility" frame buffer, oriented more towards a dedicated system input TBC and some buffer manipulation, and then RVFB will be the "effects" frame buffer.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1