MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
what makes a performance modular
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author what makes a performance modular
strettara
mufferthucker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: what makes a performance modular Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm pretty new here - this'll be post #9, I think. I come from an acoustic instrument background - piano when I was younger, more recently recorder (for baroque ensemble music) and tin whistle, mostly low whistle for pseudo-shakuhachi noodling, and playing along to tabla and tanpura backing.

So when I decided to get into the modular thing, I really wanted to get a setup that would be a playable instrument, but not just a more elaborate electric organ. I don't know if I've achieved my goal, I have a pretty flexible beginner's setup I think, but I'm curious what you all think makes a modular a "performance modular" per the title of this forum? I see such a variety of setups in members' pictures of their gear (mine is much more basic, mostly a load of Doepfer utility modules and a couple of voices, plus a keyboard I mostly use to transpose sequences).

So, what's the common thread? Is there one?

Bandcamp
Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Control interface.
strettara
mufferthucker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's obviously the right two word answer. But one thing I've noticed is that a lot of you have very densely featured modules, like maths, which don't look as flexible to me in performance as modules which do just one thing, although you'd need more of those. Most of my modules are more dedicated to just one function. So that was one thing I was curious about.

Bandcamp
Matos
Modular masturbator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well performance cases tend to be smaller, which lends itself to dense, multipurpose modules. Maths gives you tons of outs to route to everything which is great in performance. Two pressure points will give you 8 presets of sorts which allows for great flexibility.
RealDudes
Lives in a Dudeplex

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

joystick
edit: specifically the flight of harmony choices for it's wide throw and manual gate button

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally I dont like things like a Maths due to their excessive size and even though they are multi-purpose I find when space is a concern I'd rather have focused modules.

Instead of a Maths for example, if all I need are 2 eg and an env follower I would rather get those and save space.

It really comes down to how focused of a rig you will have. My performance patch has been essentially the same for the past couple years and all i've really done is replace VCO, Filters, etc..

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RealDudes wrote:
joystick
edit: specifically the flight of harmony choices for it's wide throw and manual gate button
'

You know, I've tried several joystick and have never been able to click with them. I guess I just love both of my Doepfer ribbon controllers and DIY pedals too much. love

goiks
Hardest Tryer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the performer smile

"There is no right answer. Just compromises." -Dave Jones
"There is a lot of machine soul in a modular, and it can be a catalyst for introspective movements. "-listentoaheartbeat
DonaldCrunk
pregnant with sound

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

in the question re: multi-use modules vs one use, i think your preference really depends on the extent that youre willing to physically patch while performing. i want to do things with minimal rerouting, so i tend to prefer isolated simple function blocks combined with wide-ranging modules with lots of normalizations.

certain sorts of modules are easy to repurpose - an oscillator to an LFO only requires a twist of the pitch knob, whereas converting something like the maths from a dual EG to a mixer would require a little bit more extensive repatching. i find that if i delve too deeply into my preplanned patch while performing, things start to get more unpredictable (not always bad!).

but i have seen others do sets with multiple repatches on 9u or more, so in their case multi-purpose modules will work well.

strettara
mufferthucker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does anyone simply start with a naked set of modules and start patching them as he/she goes?

About control surfaces, the most flexible one I've seen - that doesn't go into computers - seems to be the Buchla tactile controller affair. I haven't seen anything quite like that for other systems, except for some folktek pieces. Do most people end up going through computers with pad controllers and all?

BTW - that quote of Goike's remark about folk instruments is thought provoking. I've often thought that what makes the modular synthesizer unique - apart from being the instrument of an economic and technological elite - is that it has no repertoire, in any normal sense. There are styles, genres and so on, but no pieces. It's mainly improvisational. Folk instruments are usually closely bound to a specific repertoire. Of course this is part of what makes the instrument so fascinating.

Bandcamp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: