zo demo

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

consumed
International Filter Conspiracy

zo demo

Post by consumed » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:56 am

i made a very simple zeroscillator demo so you might get a little bit of a sense of how it sounds in a very simple linear FM patch:

http://www.twango.com/media/consumed.so ... umed.10006

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:33 am

wow, that's damn cool! i want one so damn bad and always figured it was an impossible dream

damn, that really DOES sound cool.

so you're selling it huh? i don't suppose you'd take a payment plan like $150/month :lol:

consumed

Post by consumed » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:42 pm

i am considering keeping the zero.

one thing i didnt show was the independent "morph out" outputs. send each side to respective L/R channels and modulate the morph. the morphase changes the phase relationships between the morph outs, for different effects. its pretty cool.

the varisynch is really interesting. it sort of quantizes to certain harmonics of the input signal. you can kind of "play" notes just by tweaking the varisynch knob. it would be cool under voltage control. i am impressed by the sound of its sync.

just before i made the recording, i really put some different oscillators under an FM test, to get a comparative sense of their FM qualities. they are vast! i used the same mobius sequence and tuned modulators and carriers the same. all oscillators (modulators and carriers) were responding to 1v/oct from the mobius.

i began by FMing the ZO with a blacet vco. it has a very distinctive sound in both typical and thru-zero modes as you can hear. then, i set up an FM patch just between two blacet vcos. the sound of FM with two blacet vcos is not very strong to my ears (not quite sure how to describe it). i also did FM with two motm oscillators. these came somewhat close to the sound of the zero in typical FM mode, but not quite as much low end. motm FM sounds very clean and metallic sounding. finally, i set up FM on the vcdo. it sounds different than all of them, but it has a very strong sound and its ballsy in the low end as well, like the ZO.

consumed

Post by consumed » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:49 pm

btw, this recording was done VERY raw, with no compression or EQ or any effects.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:18 pm

ok, ok, you toughie

i'll give ya $200 on friday, and then $150 a month for the next 4 months :oops:

great work on that demo, i like it a lot. there were so many great sounds in that demo, briefly some very ring-modulated type of things also.

fantastic 8)

consumed

Post by consumed » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:13 pm

lol muff--i do have a buyer lined up. at the moment, the ZO is "on hold".

thanks! ill do another recording tonight, showing off some of the stereo effects available directly from the zo like i was mentioning.

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:33 pm

ill do another recording tonight, showing off some of the stereo effects available directly from the zo like i was mentioning.
Looking forward to listening!

consumed

Post by consumed » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:36 pm

demo 2.

http://www.twango.com/media/consumed.so ... umed.10007

left is plugged into the 0 output (on the left) and the right is plugged into 270 (all the way right).
morph knobs are turned fully CCW.
one lfo is plugged into the morph (left) input.
a second lfo is plugged into the morph right input (but it does very little in the recording--explanation below).

first: the "morphase" switch has three positions.
on the left: two arrows facing upward.
middle: two arrows facing upward, with a slashmark between them.
on the right: two arrows, one facing up, one facing down.

(i could not make this out in the pictures until i got the zero)

when morphase is switched left, the modulation input (on the left) modulates the morph outputs equally.
when morphase in switched middle, the modulation input on the left modulates the left output waveform, and the right mod input modulates the right output waveform (they are independent).
when morphase is switched right, the mod input (on the left only) modulates both left/right outputs OUT OF PHASE (180).

the recording:

- morphase to the left: 0:00-0:33
- morphase to the right: 0:33- 0:44
- morphase middle: 0:44 - 1:51
(you can hear me increasing each lfo separately, to audio rate)

after than, i switch back to the right and start playing with the range switch, turn down the tuning of the ZO, until 3:05, where i plug in the VCO and then get into linear FM territory (typical mode). i switch to thru zero at 3:40, then back to typical at 3:55. enjoy.

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:18 am

hehehe cool! the beginning reminds me of a lightsaver :lol:
In all seriousness, cool demo!

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”