MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Help me with HPGL! (...again...)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Help me with HPGL! (...again...)
sduck
Ack. This is driving me crazy. I'm just trying to generate a few little hpgl thingies for my buchla 258 clone panel in FPD. The mac version of Inkscape doesn't work, and the windows 7 version also doesn't work - they both throw out errors when saving to .plt files. So I've heard that using inkscape in windows XP works, and indeed it seems to spit out .plt files without errors. Only problem is that when I load these files into FPD, they seem to be empty - nothing appears.

A while ago I posted a similar question, and someone (Urbanscallywag?) was able to convert my basic inkscape .svg files into working .plt files. And so, I am asking the same thing again - here are my .svg files - can anyone get them into a working state? As far as I understand it, it's just a matter of loading these files, and then doing a Save As... but selecting .plt as the output type - although when I do that it doesn't work.

So if anyone can get these working, let me know any additional steps you took with these files, so hopefully I can figure this out.
andrewF
I used inkscape for the same purpose
save as .hpgl rather than .plt
Then in FPD select insert - click on the panel where you want to place your hpgl image then a box will open, change to view 'all files' and you can select your file.
sduck
Just tried that. Doesn't work for me. I even installed fpd on the windows xp box and no go there either. Maybe I'm missing some kind of driver or something on this windows box?

edit - try it with the files I posted - if you can get them working, let me know.
urbanscallywag
i will try when i get home :)
patchdub
i can't help but am really curious what you are planning with your panel. mind posting it when your done?
andrewF
these are your files as hpgl
for me, they all opened fine in fpd (win7)
tho a little large!
sduck
Wow, thanks Andrew! Yes, these work fine. And yes they're large - got to scale them and rotate them and stuff. So - learning opportunity - what did you do exactly? Just open them and do the Save As... thing? Or any other steps before that? What os were you using, what version of inkscape, all that? Basically, what do I need to be doing that I'm not (yes, use your powers of clairvoyancy)?

And Mr. Patch - I'll post the panel when I get it straightened out, maybe tonight, probably more like tomorrow sometime.
andrewF
I think its version 0.48.
Yes - just open and save as .hpgl in Inkscape

My FPD is 4.11
To import, press H, then click on the panel to place the image (or M and set your co-ordinates).
A window opens, click 'Import'
Choose 'all files' on the 'Load HPGL file' window,, it defaults to .plt and you won't be able to find your files.... After choosing 'all files' just choose your hpgl.

You can alter the file in the 'HPGL engraving properties' window, notably change the size using Scale.
sduck
Thanks Andrew - I've got all that, now I'm trying to figure out why you can do this and it works, and it doesn't when I do the same thing. It's the converting of the file to .hpgl that seems to be the problem. Both inkscape (ver 0.48 - the newest version) on my mac (snow leopard) and in windows 7 throw up an error message whenever I try this. My Xp machine doesn't show an error, but the resulting file doesn't open in fpd. What os is the machine you're doing this on?
fonik
hpgl IS plt actually!? in the past i just RENAMED the files from *.plt to *.hpgl... seriously, i just don't get it
decaying.sine
Hardware Mac Pro Quad Core Intel Xeon, OS X 10.6.7
Front Panel Designer 4.11
Inkscape 0.48

Opened your svg images and saved as HPGL and received this message...
The fantastic lxml wrapper for libxml2 is required by inkex.py and therefore this extension. Please download and install the latest version from http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/lxml/, or install it through your package manager by a command like: sudo apt-get install python-lxml

Fixed this error message by installing lxml-2.3-py2.5-macosx-10.3-i386.egg
Get this at:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/lxml/2.3

Then...
At command prompt of X11 or Terminal:
sudo easy_install lxml-2.3-py2.5-macosx-10.3-i386.egg

Re-open inkscape, open your SVGs and save as HPGL.

Go to front panel designer and Insert--> HPGL engraving -->import "yourfile"
Rotate 180 and mirror it... adjust size.

This is what I got on my Mac OS X box when I did these procedures. Is that the same as Andrew's version?

sduck
Thanks for the detective work Brian! I'll try adding that lib. Edit - I installed it, and it works! Hooray!

Here's what I've got with this so far - still some minor tweaking to do

decaying.sine
This looks great! Do you have a special freq knob in mind or are you going to use the big alco looking one like STG uses for manual control on the mankato?
sduck
I've got a few of the really big knobs that are still the tyco motm style ones - I've used them on a few other modules. I also have some new really tiny ones for the fine tuning knob. We'll see how it looks - I sent off the order for this panel, basically what you see above, with only some tiny tweaks of the new hpgl to get it all hunky dory. Thanks to all!
sduck
I just got the panel from FPE, and the new hpgl came out exactly like I wanted - thought someone might want to see - thanks for all the help folks!

decaying.sine
Those really look great! It's nice to see the final product. SlayerBadger!
drip.feed
decaying.sine wrote:
Opened your svg images and saved as HPGL and received this message...
The fantastic lxml wrapper for libxml2 is required by inkex.py and therefore this extension. Please download and install the latest version from http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/lxml/, or install it through your package manager by a command like: sudo apt-get install python-lxml

Fixed this error message by installing lxml-2.3-py2.5-macosx-10.3-i386.egg
Get this at:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/lxml/2.3

Then...
At command prompt of X11 or Terminal:
sudo easy_install lxml-2.3-py2.5-macosx-10.3-i386.egg

Re-open inkscape, open your SVGs and save as HPGL.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!

Actually I needed lxml-2.3-py2.7-macosx-10.6-intel.egg which copes with 64-bit OS X.
sduck
Good to know - I haven't used this in a while, and it seems like every time I try to use inkscape I've upgraded and broken something, and have to dig up this thread again to find out how to fix it. Maybe I should make a script that executes when I start inkscape that also opens this thread.
drip.feed
It's a pain in the ass, isn't it? And I used to be an open source / Linux nut! But I just don't have the patience the chase down all the rabbit holes any more.
dude
any chance at a pic of the whole thing? hyper
sduck
You haven't seen this yet? Surely you've see it. It's the motherlode of strange sounding VCOness -

Buchla 258 clone front by sduck409, on Flickr
dude
ah yes i had seen that. wonderful stuff!
xpmtl
Why are they not color filled like the rest of your panel?
sduck
Only the labels get colors according to my scheme. I think. Subject to change at any time, no money will be refunded.

Actually the discerning eye will find an anomaly on this panel that I only discovered recently, and has been vexing me ever since - I use no-infill for all my tick marks and other graphical elements usually. However I left the tick marks on this one white infill for the small knobs. The big knobs have no infill. This kind of thing makes me crazy.
Norman_Phay
Did anyone suss a way to do this (.svg to .hpgl/.plt) on the PC Inkscape? I designed/adapted a lovely panel graphic for my DIY Wiard 300 modules, but the free cad convertor didn't work for some reason and the trial period has expired anyway.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2