MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Metasynth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Metasynth
heidi oyala
gentlemen,

any users? (i know that Todd Barton is a user)

what are your thoughts about it?

discuss help

gracias
Heidi
steampoweredsequencer
I think I used it for a few noise swashes on my first CD but no procession or real in depth sound design.
dkcg
I love it. It's easy to get lost exploring what one single sound can be transformed into. It's deep and can do a lot, a lot of which I haven't even touched. It's expensive, but they usually have a sale in the fall for a couple hundred off if you can wait.
parasitk
I've had Metasynth since around 2.5 and it's pretty spectacular. I've never composed something entirely with it, but have done tons of processing and resynthesis with it, as well as generating sweeps and drones. I particularly like the waveshaper - might be my second favorite software shaper after the one in Turbosynth.

I fell out of using it for a little bit on my last album, mostly because I was focusing on guitars and distortion pedals, but I rediscovered it when I upgraded to v5, which is a pretty sweet update.
heidi oyala
@steampoweredsequencer, dkcg and parasitk
gracias!!!

what about art matic?

applause
renzo
d'oh!
looks very cool!

thanks!

thumbs up
science
I've been using Metasynth on and off for a while as well. Just recently got back into it after a year or so away, and I'm pretty happy with the latest version.

The only complaint I've ever really had with Metasynth in general is that the interface feels kind of clumsy and not incredibly well polished, but it's easy enough to get used to.
dkcg
science wrote:
I've been using Metasynth on and off for a while as well. Just recently got back into it after a year or so away, and I'm pretty happy with the latest version.

The only complaint I've ever really had with Metasynth in general is that the interface feels kind of clumsy and not incredibly well polished, but it's easy enough to get used to.

There's definately more power under the hood than the interface implies. I can see the KPT/Metatools influence from his Bryce years (I think he was the primary author of Bryce).

@heidi I never got artmatic. I do graphics for a living so have other tools for that sort of stuff. It would be really cool if metasynth could host photoshop plugins, I'd be curious what some image proccessing/synthesis would do. Could just be a mess too tho. The Metaessentials are useful. Not really plugins for Metasynth, but does some cool manipulations to sound and rhythm.
science
dkcg wrote:
I can see the KPT/Metatools influence from his Bryce years (I think he was the primary author of Bryce).

I never made that connection, but it makes perfect sense now, and I can definitely see the similarities.
renzo
got the demo version - really cool - it's on my wish list smile

what controllers work with metasynth?

wacom?

any recommendations?

thanks!
dkcg
renzo wrote:
got the demo version - really cool - it's on my wish list smile

what controllers work with metasynth?

wacom?

any recommendations?

thanks!

I just use my mouse/trackpad, Wacom should be better than the mouse for drawing those envelopes.

Wait until fall if you can, U&I seem to have a sale on Metasynth usually around November. I believe they knock off about $200 off the price.
renzo
big thank you goes to dkcg

it's hard to w8 until november
Norma
I´ve only scratched the surface on Metasynth 5, but I just love working with it and think its some of the best money I´ve ever spent. So different from everything else!
ndkent
No question it's interesting, but it does have a distinct signature. Generally, it has a sound you can spot unless you do something pretty minimal or atypical.
I'd say because it doesn't have a huge resolution.

I am a bit disappointed that an innovative 90s software app hasn't progressed that far in the 2010s. You can't do serious analysis or resynthesis with it, and I would have thought you could by now. But then again you get a variety of creative tools to try out
Norma
The Metasynth sound is one of the things i love about it. But I think it depends on what room your working in and how much work you put into it.
bubblesound
i've been using it since 97 or 98. like parasitk i've never done a whole piece in it, just sound design or processing audio. the more i used it the less i like the sound of it, but i do still like it for a processor. metasynth can produce some really unexpected results and thats where the real fun of it is. but it can take a lot of tries before you get that ball in the hole, though.
dolma84
dkcg wrote:

Wait until fall if you can, U&I seem to have a sale on Metasynth usually around November. I believe they knock off about $200 off the price.

when?
any info?

thank you very much
drewtoothpaste
I had the old version (Metasynth Pro 4.0) on my G3 mac, but it doesn't seem to work on my intel MBP... what's the new version like? Does it work OK in 10.6.6?
a100user
Use to use in my pre OSX days but it wasn't legit and much as I loved it can't summon up the courage to spend money buying the current version. Shame really as it's a superb piece of software.

Good heads up on the winter sale, I just may be tempted.
withakay
dolma84 wrote:
dkcg wrote:

when?
any info?

thank you very much

I used this link about 3 months ago, pretty sure it should have expired about 10 months ago but U&I didn't mention it... works a charm

http://www.uisoftware.com/resources_eas/messages/201012/msleg5_mess.ph p
dolma84
withakay thank you
interesting!

does it work in os x lion?
i am talking about withakay's link

what do you think?

thank you!
heidi oyala
dolma84 wrote:
withakay thank you
interesting!

does it work in os x lion?
i am talking about withakay's link

what do you think?

thank you!

oh....

that would be very helpful

anyone?

gracias!
elemental
Interesting... I remember hearing about it years ago, mainly for the image-to-sound functionality, but since it was Mac only I didnt give it any attention.

Looks great for sound design. Now I have a Macbook I will check it out nodnod

Thx thumbs up
dkcg
5.3 supports Lion.
renzo
@ withakay

thanks, grazie, obrigado, danke, merci, благодарю́, 谢谢
thumbs up

applause

Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2