MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LZX Genlock and related questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author LZX Genlock and related questions
jjr
Hello All,
So I have some understanding of this from watching tutorials on line for the LZX and from speaking with Lars but I still have a few questions in regards to genlock.
It seems that to run from the Video Sync Gen. to the
Pelco MC3710H Monochrome CCTV Camera I need something like a 1/8 inch to RCA cable with a BNC adaptor ?
with the RCA to 1/8 inch what should it look like?
most of the ones I've seen the 1/8 inch portion is stereo
does it need to be mono 1/8 inch to RCA to interface with the LZX?
whats the best place to buy ?
can I use stacking cables to split the field clock output to the Pelco AND a Video Wave form generator ?
Can I do this while the VSG is slaved to a DVD player through the External Sync?
Does stacking cables draw more current ? does stacking cables degrade the signal?

I know this is a beast but I havent set up my rig yet cause I'm waiting for the next run of modules and my gears are really turning.....

thanks
jjr

eyes... Clap Tombstone
barto
ive used a vhs camcorder with no genlock abilities into the VSG and it produced a perfectly stable image so im curious to see how important or what the benefits of having a genlockable camera is for use with the LZX
jjr
were you running it through the video sync gen with it set to external sync?
because I believe the advantage to genlock is that you can patch it directly into your system, say into you blending matrix while also working with another signal from a DVD player or second camera ( I think).
lizlarsen
What jjr's trying to do is get a second video source (monochrome) into the system in addition to the master source (a DVD player, which is going to the VSG's video input.) The upcoming "Color Video Interface" module will address the need for this use-case, but you can "cheat" and skip ahead a little if you don't mind a potentially degraded video performance from the external camera (due to not having a proper DC-restoration input.) So the idea here is to send genlock to the camera, and then use an RCA to 1/8" (or BNC to 1/8") to insert the video signal from the camera directly into the Video Blending Matrix or elsewhere.

Quote:
whats the best place to buy ?

All Electronics is a good place to buy adapters online. I buy them here or at my local electronics surplus store.
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/RCA-3.5/RCA-TO-3.5MM-M INI-PLUG/1.html

Quote:
can I use stacking cables to split the field clock output to the Pelco AND a Video Wave form generator ?

1) Yes, you can split any output in the system that way, but you wouldn't want to patch to a 75 Ohm terminated video connection in an external device like the Pelco genlock input. 2) To the genlock input on the camera, you need to send an actual video signal. In your case you could use one of the extra outputs from Color Video Encoder sent to the Genlock input.

Quote:
Can I do this while the VSG is slaved to a DVD player through the External Sync?

Yes.

Quote:
Does stacking cables draw more current ?

No, it shouldn't noticeably affect power draw.

Quote:
does stacking cables degrade the signal?

You lose a tiny bit of amplitude. Whenever an output goes to an input in the LZX system, you lose 0.05% of the amplitude (500 ohm into 100K termination.) Every time you split the signal, you lose roughly another 0.05%. So if you were splitting a signal six different times, there would be something like a 3% gain loss. This is normal and expected, and the system is designed to compensate for it. There are other factors in play and some cases where you'd want to be more sensitive than others, but this is the general thing to keep in mind.
barto
for my setup, i simply ran the output of the camcorder to the video in on the VSG and then patched out from the Y output. i did not have to flip the external sync switch. using a vcr as a video source is a different story
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1