mxr carbon copy question...

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

22tape
Ultra Wiggler

mxr carbon copy question...

Post by 22tape » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:18 pm

hey guys. who owns one? are the trim pots for the delay time and feedback accessible? how about the 'modulation' trim pot? how extreme can you get it to modulate?

thanks!

Malekko
:super awesome ninja:

Post by Malekko » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:43 pm

the trim pot for delay time is probably maxed out so all you would do is make it shorter delay time (and you could achieve this by truning the main pot down) Also this is a dense SMT pedal with unmarked trim pots so th likelihood of you uncalibrating it is pretty darn high.
The speed and depth mod trimpots are located inside and are big and blue...and labeled

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:43 pm

My guitarist has one. I'll see if we can mess with it on Sunday. I really like it though, nice sound.

22tape
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:29 pm

Malekko wrote:the trim pot for delay time is probably maxed out so all you would do is make it shorter delay time (and you could achieve this by truning the main pot down) Also this is a dense SMT pedal with unmarked trim pots so th likelihood of you uncalibrating it is pretty darn high.
The speed and depth mod trimpots are located inside and are big and blue...and labeled
cool, thanks for the info. if i may, what does "dense SMT" mean?

22tape
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:30 pm

parasitk wrote:My guitarist has one. I'll see if we can mess with it on Sunday. I really like it though, nice sound.
cool, let me know what you find 8)
Last edited by 22tape on Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:51 pm

22tape wrote:
Malekko wrote:the trim pot for delay time is probably maxed out so all you would do is make it shorter delay time (and you could achieve this by truning the main pot down) Also this is a dense SMT pedal with unmarked trim pots so th likelihood of you uncalibrating it is pretty darn high.
cool, thanks for the info. if i may, what does "dense SMT" mean?

SMT means it doesn't use the nice large 'through hole' components that most of us are used to placing on circuitboards with our fingers and then soldering them. Instead it uses tiny 'surface mount' (SMT) components, intended to be soldered into place by a robot, these sit right on the PCB traces and don't have legs to go through holes, so there's no holes on the PCB.

Some people hand-solder SMT and it can be done but requires a LOT more care, patience and precision than the traditional through-hole componentry.

I imagine by 'dense' he means there's a lot of SMT components in a very small space, which is often seen with SMT, particularly with the robot/wavesoldered variety compared to boards that were designed to be populated by hand. One of the advantages of SMT is that you can cram a lot more stuff in a much smaller space.

shamann
_

Post by shamann » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:52 pm

22tape wrote:cool, thanks for the info. if i may, what does "dense SMT" mean?
SMT = surface mount technology. Small components, very closely mounted to circuit board.

dense = whole lot of pieces mushed together in a small space.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:53 pm

here's a pic of some SMT resistors. This pic is blown up, they are smaller than that for real. And check out the supersmall one on the far right.

22tape
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:58 pm

great, thanks guys!

22tape
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:00 pm

Muff Wiggler wrote:here's a pic of some SMT resistors. This pic is blown up, they are smaller than that for real. And check out the supersmall one on the far right.

i could solder that in my sleep :woah:

Malekko
:super awesome ninja:

Post by Malekko » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:59 pm

Muff Wiggler wrote:here's a pic of some SMT resistors. This pic is blown up, they are smaller than that for real. And check out the supersmall one on the far right.

not to be picky canadian, but those are capacitors..the one on the left is a resistor
:roll: duh!

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:09 pm

Ha-ha! Right you are! Good eye.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:14 pm

Malekko wrote:

not to be picky canadian, but those are capacitors..the one on the left is a resistor
:roll: duh!

heh that teeny-tiny shit looks all the same to me :oops:

(although the polarity marks on the board seem to be a bit of a giveaway)

22tape
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:05 pm

i've watched/listened to the proguitarshop.com reveiw of the carbon copy several times now. why do they call it a feature when the mix knob is completely clockwise, yet allows the original signal to come through? doesn't that just mean that you can't get a fully 'wet' signal? what if i don't want any dry signal to come through? not much of a 'feature' :eek:

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:31 am

22tape wrote:i've watched/listened to the proguitarshop.com reveiw of the carbon copy several times now. why do they call it a feature when the mix knob is completely clockwise, yet allows the original signal to come through? doesn't that just mean that you can't get a fully 'wet' signal? what if i don't want any dry signal to come through? not much of a 'feature' :eek:
Bingo! That was my main reason for not getting a CCC
I hear the Malekko delays are good, though ;)

22tape
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:42 am

wetterberg wrote: I hear the Malekko delays are good, though ;)
amen brother. i had a 600b. it was awesome. i totally regret selling it!

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”