MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

hertz donut - no square output (???)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author hertz donut - no square output (???)
matttech
hi all

just been playing with the hertz donut, and i don't seem to have any output at all from the square wave socket on either oscillator. it makes a weird "pop" when i connect it to a mixer, but nothing else. do i need to turn it on somehow? can't see anything in the manual.
nrdvrgr
Not around my modular right now, and I really cant remember the exact way to do it - but hold a button for a few seconds and it turns on. Just cant remember which one right now... wink
shred
i think its the destination button
selfoscillate
it's the destination button.
press and hold it for two or three seconds.
nickciontea
scott made a revision, i believe, to correct the stability of the sine wave.

when the square is on. something else suffers.. i think.

but no. i also don't remember which button.
matttech
thanks all - got it working now!

by the way....is there any way to turn the aliasing off? i was aware when i bought it that it was gonna be pretty gnarly (in a digital way), but thought (for some reason) that you could choose whether to turn this off or not. pretty much all the waves alias audibly even when waveform discontinuity/ fm etc.. is right down.

maybe i'll just have to tame it with a filter or something otherwise
Chuck E. Jesus
matttech wrote:

by the way....is there any way to turn the aliasing off? i was aware when i bought it that it was gonna be pretty gnarly (in a digital way), but thought (for some reason) that you could choose whether to turn this off or not. pretty much all the waves alias audibly even when waveform discontinuity/ fm etc.. is right down.

there's some aliasing, can't be "turned off", nature of the beast in this case...

if you listen to a raw sine after you engaged the square you will hear the "glitchy" sound, this can be turned off, which you now know how to do !
Kodama
I thought the squares were disconnected on all British models? hmmm.....
matttech
Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
matttech wrote:

there's some aliasing, can't be "turned off", nature of the beast in this case...

if you listen to a raw sine after you engaged the square you will hear the "glitchy" sound, this can be turned off, which you now know how to do !

yeah, it's ironic really, in that they have obviously spent some time making the sine more perfect, but in reality the main audible aliasing is on the waves which contain harmonics above the Nyquist Freq (pulse/ saw)...and on those it's extremely noticeable.

never mind though, as i've had some intense sounds out of it tonight and am enjoying it after all....it's like the "anti-E350"....polar opposite to the silky smooth wave morphing lushness. a welcome addition to the case

now i've got DIRTY digital (hertz, a189-1, sound of shadows) nice warm analogue (uLFO, MFB osc02....basic but useful..), silky 80's wavetabling (E350)...and various filters that go from smooth and vintage (SEM20 at low resonance) to screaming mayhem (borg2/ a108 at full tilt)

STILL need that clean, precise low pass though......the ELUSIVE one....
nickciontea
stg
DougD
Yes, MMF-1's are indeed elusive these days... very frustrating
tIB
nickciontea wrote:
stg

Yup, and though post laewsuit is my favourite in this case Id say sea devils.
stk
I have offered this advice to others regarding the Donut:
To keep things less "dirty-digital", try being very subtle with the crossmodulation - I find myself getting some really smooth and deep textures with just a touch of fm/am.
I've never really noticed the aliasing, but I tend to not go up really high my my oscs. To further smooth off the high-end hash (aliasing or fm/am residue), a smooth nonresonant LPF is perfect, extraspecially a LPG.

matttech wrote:
now i've got DIRTY digital (hertz, a189-1, sound of shadows) nice warm analogue (uLFO, MFB osc02....basic but useful..), silky 80's wavetabling (E350)...and various filters that go from smooth and vintage (SEM20 at low resonance) to screaming mayhem (borg2/ a108 at full tilt)
matttech
stk wrote:
I have offered this advice to others regarding the Donut:
To keep things less "dirty-digital", try being very subtle with the crossmodulation - I find myself getting some really smooth and deep textures with just a touch of fm/am.
I've never really noticed the aliasing, but I tend to not go up really high my my oscs. To further smooth off the high-end hash (aliasing or fm/am residue), a smooth nonresonant LPF is perfect, extraspecially a LPG.

although, thinking about it...the lowpass really has to be prior to the digital to analogue conversion to get rid of aliasing (as it's the failure of the DAC to accurately interpret really high frequencies that causes aliasing....and the actual aliasing that results isn't actually that high in frequency....so i'm not sure a LPF after the DAC would solve it)

just a thought
stk
Well yeah it won't remove the aliasing per se, but it will lessen its audibility.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1