Roland SD?-330 Dimensional Triumvirate

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

MrDys
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Roland SD?-330 Dimensional Triumvirate

Post by MrDys » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:19 pm

Yay! I just treated myself to one of these off of the eBay. I've been looking at this processor for quite some time.

Here's a SOS review from '94

It's a dedicated chorus/flange/phase/pan FX box. All of the reviews I've read say that it has the best Leslie simulation out there. It also has a Dimension D simulation as well as some pseudo-3D effects.

From looking through the manual, it looks like it has a great amount of programmability. I can't wait to start feeding some psycho LFOs into the expression pedal input. Depending on how well that works out, I'll look into a Doepfer A192 so that I can modulate more parameters at once over MIDI.

So...has anyone here used one?

I'll definitely do an audio (if not video) demo whenever it arrives.
Last edited by MrDys on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:23 pm

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:26 pm

cool! i used to have the dimensional delay in the same series. it was great, but i went into pairing down mode in the studio (only 1 delay, 1 reverb etc), so got rid of it. but best digital delay i've ever used, easy to program etc.

Norman_Phay

Post by Norman_Phay » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:13 pm

I've had one of these for a few years (I got it at a closeout price when they got discontinued), and I rate it very highly. I used it as a send-return device on my mixer for a while, but its real strength I found was in being dedicated to one instrument. I strapped it across one of the stereo outs on my Proteus 2000 and when I program a sound on the P2000, I program a custom effect for that sound on the SDX, which works very well for the most part.
The Pro2000 is v good for spacious pad-type sounds with a lot of timbral movement in them, and the various chorus effects that the SDX does complements that kind of thing almost perfectly. The only downsides to the SDX thatb I've found are that it lacks a phaser effect and certain parameters when you automate them via MIDI cause zipper noise. The Leslie sim is especially good, I think.

MrDys
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MrDys » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:39 pm

It came today!

Woo boy I like it a lot. Super easy to program, and it sounds gorgeous. It's a nice glossy rub over everything.

Here's something I made this evening using it's String Ensemble patch.

MrDys
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MrDys » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:44 pm

...so pleased with my Dimensional Expander, and in need of a reverb processor, I picked up it's sibling the SRV-330 Space Reverb on Ebay over the weekend. Should make a good pair.

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:43 am

MrDys wrote:I picked up it's sibling the SRV-330 Space Reverb on Ebay over the weekend.
i'd like to hear samples! curious if it gives a "3D" sound...

MrDys
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MrDys » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:49 am

ross g wrote:
MrDys wrote:I picked up it's sibling the SRV-330 Space Reverb on Ebay over the weekend.
i'd like to hear samples! curious if it gives a "3D" sound...
Will do. Should arrive on Monday.

MrDys
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MrDys » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:06 pm

I did a little noodle with the SRV-330 tonight. I posted it over here.

The 3D is subtle, but the 3D non-linear reverbs are insane crazy. I'll do a much more boring A/B showoff of the 3D non-linears this weekend.

haven
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by haven » Mon May 04, 2009 11:39 pm

I was until recently a long time user of the SRV-330. Especially liked it on lead synths. I actually just sold my SDE-330 (delay) and SRV-330 (reverb), kept the SDX-330 as a great chorus is hard to come by. In fact I almost never used chorus in my mixes until I got the SDX-330, then I understood the magic a great chorus performs. The SDE-330 and SRV-330 went to Intellijel on this board for his minimal techno music.

I sold them both to pay for an Eventide TimeFactor - which I am loving. :love:

The Roland 330 series definitely have a special sound - great for ambient and techno styles - enjoy!

haven
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by haven » Tue May 05, 2009 12:34 am

Just thought I would link to a old remix I did that uses a lot of SRV-330 for reverb. It is on the pads, voice and non-lin 3D algorithm is on some of the drums. http://www.eroei.ca/?p=35

MrDys
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MrDys » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:52 am

Well, I've had a shitty week, so I just impulse bought a SDE-330 Dimensional Space Delay from the 'bay. I now own the complete trilogy of early-to-mid 90s semi-3D Roland studio effects.
darenager wrote:I wonder how many people with Maths don't know it can file a tax return, or that Plague Bearer can indeed give bears the plague
suitandtieguy wrote:STG IS ALL ABOUT THE PLUR.

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”