MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Potentiometers / Mouser
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Potentiometers / Mouser
roman_f
Hello

i'm pretty new to DIY - i've soldered some stuff like x0xb0x in the past, but they were kits so i didn't have to source the part on my own

i'm going to build a CGS 35 filter and think about ordering some parts on Mouser
http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs35_syntha_vcf.html
BOM says 1k linear & 100k linear
but, dammit - there are 641 panel-mount 100k potentiometers

anyone can help me with links to proper ones?
i ready don't know such details as tolerance, voltage rating, power rating etc

thank you in advance
roman_f
(that comment was occasional, can i delete it?)
fluxmonkey
i use the 16mm alpha pots for the majority of my builds... mouser part# 313-1000F-value (replace value w/ 1k, 100k, etc.). small bear electronics has the same thing slightly cheaper if you're buy less than 10; futurlec has really 'em cheap except w/ knurled shafts
jumunius
roman_f wrote:
Hello
i'm going to build a CGS 35 filter and think about ordering some parts on Mouser....there are 641 panel-mount 100k potentiometers
anyone can help me with links to proper ones?
i ready don't know such details as tolerance, voltage rating, power rating etc

1/4 watt (or higher) for all resistors and pots unless otherwise noted, 20% is pretty standard for pot tolerance. As for voltage rating... wouldn't worry too much about that for your pots, we're not talking big voltages here.

Then you have to make sure you don't order with switches or detentes (little click at the 12:00 position of the pot for pan-pots and the like) and that sort of stuff. I've made mistakes with that before.

Conductive material is a question too: many people are happy with carbon, but conductive plastic is arguably nicer and cermet is even nicer (though too expensive for most). But generally you find broader stock of carbon so it's a good way to start.

Once you have the electronic specs out of the way you want to look at the physical details. Pot width (12mm, 16mm, 24mm, etc.) This affects how much space you need behind the panel. 16mm Alpha turn smoother, but some say they are more prone to noise and failure. Then consider shaft width and style, which affects your knob compatibility. And bushings, which affect your drill holes.

I agree about Small Bear. They have knobs, pots, etc, and they've already widdled down your choices to only the stuff that your average DIY musician uses. Learning to order from Mouser is key too, but it's daunting at first.

My last thought: CGS35 is an easy enough build BUT there are a few "builder's choices" that you should consider before placing an order. Read John Loffink's notes, read the threads here and on electro-music.com about these builds. Maybe buy some extra resistors and pots based on what you read. You can always skip tweaking these values later, but if you want to fiddle with a resistor value for your resonance pot, who wants to pay for another Mouser shipment for a couple resistors?
roman_f
thank you for reply, guys - they are more than full
i'll track the forums for sure

it's not a problem to buy a resistor nearby me in a regular shop, but such things as quality switchcraft jack sockets - i have to order them from mouser. local distributors can provide them too, but the order would take much more time and would be much more expensive

thank you again
jumunius
Yeah, some people don't have local electronics shops apparently! At least not good ones.

Many people build with more jacks and pots than the CGS site displays, so keep that in mind too. Although some builds require additional circuitry and a simple project gets more and more complex....
roman_f
well, i live in a very big city - 10+ millions people
there are maybe 50 electronics shops here, but i have to order switchcraft jacks from mouser smile same for the other good hardware

but transistors, resistors and ics are easy to buy
jumunius
roman_f wrote:
there are maybe 50 electronics shops here

I live in San Francisco -- just short of a million people and apart from Radio Shack, a chain which some don't even count as a proper electronics store anymore, we have no electronics supply stores. In the region yes, but not within the city itself! So I always assume the worst. smile
patchdub
sometimes i think ordering from mouser is the hardest part of the build and it always seems to take forever to fill out an order. and then i usually forget something.

http://www.bridechamber.com/Home.html
http://www.thesonicworkshop.com/

both of these folks offer parts kits if you want to go that route. it will be more than doing it yourself but sometimes its worth it. they are a great resource!
roman_f
fluxmonkey wrote:
small bear electronics has the same thing slightly cheaper if you're buy less than 10

thank you for the small bear link btw
they have almost everything i need and the shipping is just $10 (instead of $120 at mouser), the only part missing is 1/8 witchcraft on panel jack

any ideas where i can order them?
CLee
I've gotten Alphas from both Futurlec and Smallbear. Both good sources. But now I'm trying these out.

Alpha 12mm D Shaft

They are more expensive, but smaller. They can fit right next to each other at Serge spacing without having to mess with where the terminals are (they always face down so the d-shaft works).
They have a slightly looser rotation feel than the standard Alphas.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
roman_f wrote:
there are maybe 50 electronics shops here, but i have to order switchcraft jacks from mouser smile same for the other good hardware

but transistors, resistors and ics are easy to buy

I live in Vancouver, which is a city of only about 2.2 million people, and we have four or five decent electronic component shops, including the redoubtable Lee's Electronics on Main Street, owned and operated by my good buddy Raymond Wong, which is a DIYers dream. And, if he doesn't have what I'm looking for, I just walk three doors (yeah, three doors) down to Main Electronics, and they'll probably have it. If not, Lee will tack it on his next Digikey order for me, and I don't even have to worry about the shipping. Plus, Raymond and his dad are very knowledgeable and helpful, and will bend over backwards to help you out.

However, I know that we are uncommonly blessed here in Vancouver. Go two hours south to Seattle, WA (a significantly larger city) and things don't look nearly so rosy (there's a couple of stores, but a significant drive from the downtown core, and by all accounts pretty meh).

Finally, a very big +1,000,000 for Small Bear Electronics. I do lots of business with them, and they have virtually everything I need for panels, most of the semiconductors I use (including, you guessed it, the 2164), prototyping supplies, you name it. They are incredibly nice, too. Plus, if there is something Steve doesn't carry which you think he should, just tell him, and chances are he'll stock it. He did this for me with the Taiway DPDT On-On-On toggle switches (very useful, and very hard to find), plus he sells them at a way better price (like, half as much) as the (since dried up) source I had before.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1