MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Oakley first steps in to Euro land
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Oakley first steps in to Euro land
krisp14u
Hi all
The Oakley ring mod will be the first offering to the Euro rack users It will be the first of many I hope Guinness ftw!
The first shipment should be on its way to Shawn at AH in the next week and for anyone in the Euro zone or anywhere for that matter can buy direct from me by Email or my online store
The price is to be announced soon
It’s an 8HP width panel and although not the most intricate panel I think it looks Simple and uncluttered (Please give me some feed back on the look)


Sorry about my photography I need a new camera and some one like Mr.J.L.Rice to show me how to use it we're not worthy
sandyb
looks good! it's simple, clean and uncluttered.
imho opinion the jacks are a bit too close to the edge of the module though - could you not move them and the knobs a bit to the left?

sandy
krisp14u
sandyb wrote:
looks good! it's simple, clean and uncluttered.
imho opinion the jacks are a bit too close to the edge of the module though - could you not move them and the knobs a bit to the left?

sandy


The Pots could be moved to the left about 1mm and the jacks/switches about 2mm I knew it would be close to the edge but the alternative is a 10HP panel and the feed back I had was small is good

I also didn’t want the jack's too close to the pots

On the next batch I will see what can be done, when I have some user feed back
wetterberg
looking good!

So I'm not hip to the Oakley ringmod, but what exactly do the knobs do? Attenuate incoming signal on x and y, I presume?
I'd love to hear what that sounds like.
REwire
I would like to know also what this sounds like and if it uses a different or similar circuit to either the M25, Doepfer, ModDeMod, Cwejman, ASys, ASol or Dalek.

About size: In a world of 4hp Ringmods, 10 would be unacceptable unless it had two other functions like the Plan-B Model 25.
wetterberg
REwire, did you see the three knobs on it? Those... kinda set it apart from 4HP devices... as one might imagine...
Chuck E. Jesus
i'm going to have to agree with Mr. Wire on the size issue...i already have the Doepfer RM so i'm not a target customer, but i wish you success and hope you release other mods, maybe something unique from the Oakley line? (not too familiar tbh)
krisp14u
wetterberg wrote:
looking good!

So I'm not hip to the Oakley ringmod, but what exactly do the knobs do? Attenuate incoming signal on x and y, I presume?
I'd love to hear what that sounds like.


The Oakley RM is Tony Allgood interpretation of the ARP 4014 ring modulator
For more information take a look at

http://www.oakleysound.com/ringmod.htm


Some sounds i made for the Frac sub forum more details there


http://www.krisp1.com/sound/rm1.mp3

http://www.krisp1.com/sound/rm2.mp3

http://www.krisp1.com/sound/rm3.mp3 twisted
REwire
Those sound clips are real good. The Arp 2600 RM was real nice when I had one. The attenuators and offset sound like they can do some interesting shaping of the signals.

I'm in for one. Guinness ftw!
wetterberg
thanks for the links!

I really like the combination of offset control and AC/DC coupling. I can... see how HP might be a concern to some, but if you're the type that likes attenuation in all sorts of places (I do) you come to appreciate it a lot when it shows up in modules, which Doepfer has all the time, too.
Ranxerox
krisp14u wrote:
Hi all
The Oakley ring mod will be the first offering to the Euro rack users It will be the first of many I hope Guinness ftw!


This looks great - I know this isn't a Euro question, but do you have plans to do a 5U assembled version of this one? I would dearly love to have one in ... (gulp) ... dotcom format?? we're not worthy
hogberto
this is excellent news.

looking forward to many more euro-oakley modules. SlayerBadger!
krisp14u
REwire wrote:
Those sound clips are real good. The Arp 2600 RM was real nice when I had one. The attenuators and offset sound like they can do some interesting shaping of the signals.

I'm in for one. Guinness ftw!


Thanks
I have only played with the Oakley RM for a few hours and it’s not hard to get a Semi decent bell sound
I think if given the time and effort there are some truly awesome sounds to come from this little module

wetterberg wrote:
thanks for the links!

I really like the combination of offset control and AC/DC coupling. I can... see how HP might be a concern to some, but if you're the type that likes attenuation in all sorts of places (I do) you come to appreciate it a lot when it shows up in modules, which Doepfer has all the time, too.


No problem
As I said above given the time and the tweaking possibilities there are some grate uses for this RM (all I need is the Time)
The HP will not get any smaller I wish I could make every one happy but that’s not going to happen I’m just trying to get a happy medium at a size that’s small but useable

Ranxerox wrote:
krisp14u wrote:
Hi all
The Oakley ring mod will be the first offering to the Euro rack users It will be the first of many I hope Guinness ftw!


This looks great - I know this isn't a Euro question, but do you have plans to do a 5U assembled version of this one? I would dearly love to have one in ... (gulp) ... dotcom format?? we're not worthy


I have looked in to doing dotcom format and I am waiting to get a price for panels
But I am so short on cash at the moment after the dual Frac and Euro RM panels it will have to wait until things pick up but
I would never say never
I could always do a custom but one offs don’t come cheep maybe send me a PM


hogberto wrote:
this is excellent news.

looking forward to many more euro-oakley modules. SlayerBadger!


After chatting with Tony Allgood last weekend there will be many more But its going to be a steady stream as it where and they will be dedicated 3U modules
gde
krisp14u wrote:


After chatting with Tony Allgood last weekend there will be many more But its going to be a steady stream as it where and they will be dedicated 3U modules


yeah... theyd have to be specially made for 3U as some of the boards are HUGE

the ADSR/VCA is an awesome idea and ive played with a similarly set up circuit

saves patch cords, panel space, and frees up the VCAs you already have to do more interesting stuff with, it would be great if we could get a more compact board or module for that. maybe just an AR instead of ADSR? oh and for those who havent checked it out, the module is upgradeable to be a VC-ADSR
revtor
maybe the mounting holes should be on the same side of the panel as the jacks so the unplugging forces dont try and tweak the panel out of your rack every time you un-patch? maybe minor but...

looks good! Oakley circuits are solid performers!!
~Steve
felix
Awesome! Always good to see more Euro manufactures. And many blessing upon you for not using Cliff Jacks!!!
we're not worthy
Funky40
krisp14u wrote:
sandyb wrote:
looks good! it's simple, clean and uncluttered.
imho opinion the jacks are a bit too close to the edge of the module though - could you not move them and the knobs a bit to the left?

sandy


The Pots could be moved to the left about 1mm and the jacks/switches about 2mm I knew it would be close to the edge but the alternative is a 10HP panel and the feed back I had was small is good

I also didn’t want the jack's too close to the pots

On the next batch I will see what can be done, when I have some user feed back


hey Paul, i finished the last Days two Oakley Ringmods.
I mean my layout is much better.
ahhhh i see. i used headers and did not mounted the pots on the Board.
Time is ofcourse a real factor !
anyway, i added a picture.


sound: i did not patched, just compared to the Motm µVCA which is also a very nice RM, after the CS80 btw.
The Oakley sounds more dirty and has much more outputgain ( can be adjusted. i like it hot ).
It was possible to come very (or relativly ) close to the Motm sound.
The Oakley seems to be very interesting with its offset pot.

Quote:
Thanks
I have only played with the Oakley RM for a few hours and it’s not hard to get a Semi decent bell sound
I think if given the time and effort there are some truly awesome sounds to come from this little module

yep, i think the same
krisp14u
revtor wrote:
maybe the mounting holes should be on the same side of the panel as the jacks so the unplugging forces dont try and tweak the panel out of your rack every time you un-patch? maybe minor but...

looks good! Oakley circuits are solid performers!!
~Steve


I will have to see how they perform but will take this into consideration for other panels and the next run of RM’s

felix wrote:
Awesome! Always good to see more Euro manufactures. And many blessing upon you for not using Cliff Jacks!!!
we're not worthy


I never had a problem with the Cliff jacks used on Oakley modules as I made sure that I used the ones for far eastern jacks
But I understand the stigma as I have had some of the other ones and they do truly suck ass MY ASS IS BLEEDING


Funky40 wrote:
hey Paul, i finished the last Days two Oakley Ringmods.
I mean my layout is much better.
ahhhh i see. i used headers and did not mounted the pots on the Board.
Time is ofcourse a real factor !
anyway, i added a picture.


That looks sweet Funky40 SlayerBadger!
as you said the time it would take to mount the PCB’s to the panel would be far too costly and may lead to faults down the line and I am trying to compete in a very competitive market and make the moduels as robust as possible


Funky40 wrote:

sound: i did not patched, just compared to the Motm µVCA which is also a very nice RM, after the CS80 btw.
The Oakley sounds more dirty and has much more outputgain ( can be adjusted. i like it hot ).
It was possible to come very (or relativly ) close to the Motm sound.
The Oakley seems to be very interesting with its offset pot.



I also have a MOTM190 JH did a fantastic job with that (mine is still in storage ) meh
I don’t think Tony was trying to come close to the MOTM sound it was the ARP sound he was looking for and having never owned an ARP RM I can’t say how close he got but he assured me with a one on one test its pretty dam good
futuresoundsystems
Nice one Paul! w00t
Funky40
krisp14u wrote:

That looks sweet Funky40 SlayerBadger!
as you said the time it would take to mount the PCB’s to the panel would be far too costly and may lead to faults down the line and I am trying to compete in a very competitive market and make the moduels as robust as possible


Yes ofcourse, you're right !
I know how much difference in time it makes. It's not to underestimate .
Yes robustivity is indedd another factor. I must DIY custom angles plus a board, then attaching everything together with Screws ( that also cost ),
and there's indeed also the "faultfactor". Also not to underestimate.
That was the reason why i built my first MOTM VCOs and the Papareil quantix in Motm format.
and indeed is my third Motm VCO not running. I built it in Euroformat the last Days. very frustrating , hehe, strange smili


btw. my first thoughts about a Panel for the Oakley RM where very similar to yours. Not much possibilitys .....



Funky40 wrote:


I also have a MOTM190 JH did a fantastic job with that (mine is still in storage ) meh
I don’t think Tony was trying to come close to the MOTM sound it was the ARP sound he was looking for and having never owned an ARP RM I can’t say how close he got but he assured me with a one on one test its pretty dam good

No, it was not meant which one would be better.
the Point is that the motm RM from Jürgen is just fantatstic, and the point was to see if i can get close with the sound of the Oakley to the motm sound,
because in the first Moment it was really different. .......it was surprising
Not everybody like to have hundreds of RMs, and the Motm is anyway not available in Euro wink
well, i personally are in a RM phase lol.

don't go shopping when hungry,
and don't get Boards when in RM phase.........hehe
krisp14u
Hay all I’m getting ready to ship the first Ring mods to AH and I’m not sure what length M3 screws to pack for mounting of Euro modules
Can any one advise me on this?
wetterberg
6mm phillips head
krisp14u
cheers Wetterberg its the 6mm i needed
screaming goo yo
brandon daniel
All specs here:
http://www.fastener-express.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1 789

Unless somebody wants to use an ASys rack, then it's different, but the above is the doepfer standard.
krisp14u
brandon daniel wrote:
All specs here:
http://www.fastener-express.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1 789

Unless somebody wants to use an ASys rack, then it's different, but the above is the doepfer standard.


Cheers brandon
that’s what I have just wanted to be sure

I Use an ASys rack there M2.5 if anyone want mounting screws for the ASys rack let me know on your order hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group