MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index MUFF WIGGLER
load & distance

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
How many 300 series systems are out there?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author How many 300 series systems are out there?
wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: How many 300 series systems are out there? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

With there being so few videos online and not that much on soundcloud I was wondering how many 300 series owners there are?

Ciat-Lonbarde noodlings: https://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

Older computer stuff : https://soundcloud.com/wavecircle
Ekofisk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, there's you! Now make a video!
wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not here yet. I need a PSU and case also.

Ekofisk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ahh. Well in that case, I'd like to know as well.
There really are very few videos etc online, and I, for one, would like to see more.
3vcos
Must have slack/modules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I remember grant mentioning when he retired the 300 series there were roughly 350 modules out there. That was quite a few years ago but I don't think he made many since production started again. Now with production restarted I'd guess there are around 400 modules out there at this time....?
rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i just played with el clones new 300 system this week. first time on one. they are so friggin cool. the mixolator kinda did my head in.

Last edited by rico loverde on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

3vcos wrote:
I think I remember grant mentioning when he retired the 300 series there were roughly 350 modules out there. That was quite a few years ago but I don't think he made many since production started again. Now with production restarted I'd guess there are around 400 modules out there at this time....?

So excluding Gary Chang there are about 200 modules out there? Mr. Green

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Would be interesting to count them. I bet we have a fair representation just here on Muff's.

Cary Grace (1) (It still counts! Maybe triple!)
Gary Chang (36)
smoo
Muff (15)
Me (14)
sandyb (8)
Norman Phay (9)
revmutt (15)
Fnord (6)
Wavecircle (8)
El Clone
Ekofisk (9)
Construct09 (5)
Eef
3VCOs (7)
fluxmonkey (8)
ChamomileShark (11)
AcidHangover (12)
anadeji (3)
ModularFreak (15)

That's 175 300 series modules confirmed so far, plus ~9 old and new controllers.
I bet I am missing a few posters; speak up and I'll update the list. Adding what I know about some systems (mine, Muff's, Gary's, sandyb's, Norman's) and completely wild-ass guessing a 6 module "System 1" type of layout for most everyone else on average, fudge fudge, that's 175 true blue Wiard modules right there[*]. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find that we had 50% of all existing Wiard 300 modules owned and represented by Muff forum members. Probably more.

[*] I have excluded from this count the crazy 300 format DIY modules that Norman and I have made or had built, and also skipped counting new or old joystick controllers or 1200 series. This is just 300 format tall blue wondermodules.

Last edited by plord on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:12 pm; edited 13 times in total
3vcos
Must have slack/modules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm....how many modules count as a system? Heck, a waveform city or classic vco and a Borg is a system. :-)

plord wrote:
Would be interesting to count them. I bet we have a fiar representation just here on Muff's.

Grant, obviously.
Cary Grace too.
Gary Chang
smoo
Muff
Me
sandyb
Norman Phay
revmutt
Fnord
Wavecircle
El Clone
Ekofisk
Construct09
Eef

I bet I am missing a few posters; speak up and I'll update the list. Adding what I know about some systems (mine, Muff's, Gary's, sandyb's, Norman's) and completely wild-ass guessing a 6 module "System 1" type of layout for most everyone else on average, fudge fudge, that's 150 true blue Wiard modules right there[*]. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find that we had 50% of all existing Wiard 300 modules owned and represented by Muff forum members. Probably more.

[*] I have excluded from this count the crazy 300 format DIY modules that Norman and I have made or had built.
wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A 300 series wogglebug is a system.

I guess anyone who owns 300 series module(s)

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Because of the sheer quality and density of the modules there aren't that many systems that go beyond six or eight modules. I think with Wiard anything beyond that may be considered large.

"tis better to be something then not at all"
3vcos
Must have slack/modules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well then at 7 modules I guess I belong on that short list too. w00t
pulse_divider
triangletooth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used to own the first one pictured here:
http://www.musicsynthesizer.com/DIY/Grant/custom.htm
Gary Chang bought it from me and didn't want the case, as he was absorbing the modules into his huge system.
I still have that case and still haven't found a use for it... just dug it out of the basement the other day and brought it into the studio in the hopes of throwing something in it.
Muff Wiggler
The cake is a lie.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i have fifteen 300 series modules, with one space left in my (still in production) case, my final system will have 16 of the 300 series units.
3vcos
Must have slack/modules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I say, God Damn! That's a big fat system!

Muff Wiggler wrote:
i have fifteen 300 series modules, with one space left in my (still in production) case, my final system will have 16 of the 300 series units.
plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Updated the list. I have 14 actual Wiard modules and another 14 spaces worth of DIY and custom made 300 format stuff. Um, at least. It's still in storage except the modules delivered in the last year cry
plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Added more folks who spoke up, and if there really are 350 total 300 series modules out there in the wild, then if my assumptions are good then we are definitely over the halfway point now.
revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have 15 300 series modules plus including the controller. My case holds two frames and the controller. I am looking to add a second case, possibly move all the modules that had been part of system #2 into it's own case -if that isn't the kind of geek shit this board is made of I don't know what is.

"tis better to be something then not at all"
chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

11 300 series modules - one on the way and the new controller.
sandyb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm on 8 x 300 series modules plus a new controller

2 wogglebugs
waveform city with hylander expander
classic vco
mixolator
envelator
borg
sequantizer

i've also got a couple of 300 series style repanels - dual blacet quad vca and a frequency divider.
Norman_Phay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 9 x 300-series - 2 x WC, CVCO, borg, omni, wogglebug, seq, env and mixo. I am building a larger (2 rows of 8) case, IDK if there will be any new 300-modules, it would be great to see the wave terrain osc and the envelooper, but I don't mind, I have a 300-size panel for Oakley Equinoxe/octal reso and have panels designed for fonik vcp seq and dual Blacet VCADSR (the Blacet VCADSR fits in w Wiard so very well) I'm thinking about designing a pair of panels for dual oscillator and anti-oscillators as well confused

Last edited by Norman_Phay on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
3vcos
Must have slack/modules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is slightly off topic from the thread but...

Does anyone have any 300 series from panel designs they would like to share? I have a couple panels from Plord I got a while ago which are amazing. I'd love to get a anti/vco panel or a dual borg. :-)
Fnord
Discordian Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have 6, and I will never let them go. If there's ever a zombie apocalypse, the 1st 2 things I will grab will be my wiard and my .45, you know, the important things for survival.

I'd like to make the jump to 12 at some point in the future.

Muffwiggler: I've seen communities ruined over politics. I've seen friendships end over racism. I've never seen these things happen as a result of breasts.
plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Updated my post with module counts. We are trending higher than the "6 per person" that I guessed smile
wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have 8 + original controller.

Where did all you other guys get the new controller, just when they were last in stock?

Ekofisk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I get my order I will have 9 modules.
VCO, WFC, Envelators x 2, Sequantizer x 2, Borg, Wogglebug and Mixolator.

If someone (I'm looking at you, Norman!) were to make anything in 300 format, the top two modules for me would be a couple of Anti-Oscs and a couple of Uncle Oscs.
Btw, is the "Uncle" Osc very similar to the Classic Vco?
Babaluma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

little bird told me there will be no more controllers... i got one of the last blue one's made new, then swapped it for the sole black one, and then sold it...
wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Babaluma wrote:
little bird told me there will be no more controllers... i got one of the last blue one's made new, then swapped it for the sole black one, and then sold it...

Which bird?

This is sad news for me if true. Awesome interface.

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wavecircle wrote:
Babaluma wrote:

Which bird?

This is sad news for me if true. Awesome interface.

Though Wiard and perhaps it's new configuration doesn't always mean never when they say "never".

Anyway I remember I visited Grant with a mutual friend in 2000 and the topic came up on what modular had the most quantity made. I guess we concluded Doepfer probably overtook everything by then and we agreed some Buchla modules probably existed in tiny numbers.

Babaluma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was a friend of a friend type thing, not gospel, but it apparently seems unlikely that any more controllers (or JAGs) will be made in any format, for various reasons.

i repeat, it's HEARSAY not gospel. wink you should call and ask grant or cary for a definitive answer.
plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Babaluma wrote:
it was a friend of a friend type thing, not gospel, but it apparently seems unlikely that any more controllers (or JAGs) will be made in any format, for various reasons.

Well, JAGs are coming in Euro Real Soon Now (see Malekko forum) so at least part of that hearsay is disproven.
Ekofisk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Cary told me very recently that there were no new controllers being made any more. Whether this is permanent, I wouldn't know.

But I seem to remember Grant saying in some post a few weeks (months?) ago, that new JAG boards had arrived and that this meant a batch of controllers was on it's way? I might recall that wrongly.

(reading over it, this really isn't the most helpful of posts!).
wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I spoke to Cary about this a good while ago and there were the PCBs and parts available to make them. The sticking point was the panel IIRC. The blue panels are the really expensive part. It costs the same price to make 1 as it does to make hundreds I've been told. I guess they need more people placing orders in order to justify the purchase of plates.

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, just guessing, but my experience with FPE says that the controller panel is likely a $200 item.
wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Its not the silkscreening that is the problem. The metal has to be dyed on a large scale, i think we are talking thousands to make a batch of blue plates. For this reason 1 costs as much as a large batch. Its a large scale process and wiard would really have to have numerous orders to make it worthwhile.

I have just read that pfe do one offs. Hmm, interesting.

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I passed on the information to Babaluma that in a recent conversation with Cary, she had mentioned there are no immediate plans to manufacture the New Controller. I bought B's New Controller and we spoke in person about how Grant had mentioned somewhere that many people don't understand the module, from inference, I believe the NC was to make use of unsold JAG PCBs. It's a great shame as my experience thus far has placed it amongst my most inspiring experiences using music machines. Organic expressive FUN control and modular style meta-decision making (or as any normal person would say: trial and error).

This information was recevied right before the Malekko JAG was announced. If anyone wishes to obtain the wonderful JAG I think euro is your best chance. Or failing that FRAC users migrating and selling on their old equipment.

Oh yeah, anyways, I own a black 310a and 371, 361.
solitaryzen
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Babaluma wrote:

i repeat, it's HEARSAY not gospel. wink you should call and ask grant or cary for a definitive answer.

I just e-mailed Grant recently with this very question, but haven't received a reply... hugely disappointing, as there is nothing else remotely similar available. Would've bought yours if I was a bit more cashed up at the time waah
Babaluma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if the jag is definitely coming in euro, then it's not the end of the world!

lol
acidhangover
1-Post Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How many 300 series systems are out there? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just registered to add my system (12 modules + original controller) to the list ...

recent live performance audio excerpt (improv noise rock):
http://www.lemon-session.com/2011/07/17/liquorball-ss10-live-both-5202 011/
not-so-recent live/live-in-studio recordings:
http://cowsarejustfood.wordpress.com/2009/06/29/liquorball-with-steve- mackay-evolutionary-squalor-rocketship/
http://www.archive.org/details/SteveMackayWithLiquorballOnTheStuckOnSo undShow

band music video (Wiard @ around 1.40):
http://www.vimeo.com/27365734

more by the same band (variable amounts of Wiard per track):
http://glitterwizard.bandcamp.com/

Doug
plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi Doug, welcome! Off to update the post...
anadeji
milk prisoner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i've got 3 modules:

waveform city
dual borg
sequantizer

i owe a video and some soundclouding, after i deal with some flooding im going all in on sharing data
carygrace
If I had two dead rats, I'd give you one

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

plord wrote:
Would be interesting to count them. I bet we have a fair representation just here on Muff's.

Grant, obviously.
Cary Grace too.[/size]

You might find this startling, but Grant never had time in 11 years to build a system for his own use, and I only have one module so far (with no knobs). Interestingly enough, Wiard did not deliberately set out to be a non-profit organization...whoops!

Seems a situation where the demand was not predicted, and so we both forgot to make some for ourselves first...

Wiard:
http://www.wiard.com
http://www.facebook.com/wiardsynth
http://www.twitter.com/wiardsynth

Last edited by carygrace on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
ModHiisi
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: How many 300 series systems are out there? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

acidhangover wrote:
Just registered to add my system (12 modules + original controller) to the list ...

recent live performance audio excerpt (improv noise rock):
http://www.lemon-session.com/2011/07/17/liquorball-ss10-live-both-5202 011/
not-so-recent live/live-in-studio recordings:
http://cowsarejustfood.wordpress.com/2009/06/29/liquorball-with-steve- mackay-evolutionary-squalor-rocketship/
http://www.archive.org/details/SteveMackayWithLiquorballOnTheStuckOnSo undShow

band music video (Wiard @ around 1.40):
http://www.vimeo.com/27365734

more by the same band (variable amounts of Wiard per track):
http://glitterwizard.bandcamp.com/

Doug

Hey Doug!

I just have to say: Really dig your stuff in Liquorball etc. Man!

Also didn't yet know that Glitter Wizard had an lp out!!!

Thanks,

Mika
construct09
Sine me up

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: How many 300 series systems are out there? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have 5 and I have recently ordered 2 more....I WANT A 311 angry
modularfreak
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

15 * 300 series modules plus an "old" controller plus 10 * 1200 series modules in blue here...
el clon
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i've been away from the forum for a
while so i missed this thread...

i've got 6 of 'em:
-Woggle
-Borg I
-WaveCity
-Env.
-Seq.
-Mixo.

Wiard Wiard Wiard Wiard Wiard Wiard thumbs up

((==-- www.fallingrooms.com --==))

((==- www.theimplicateorder.com -==))
sensanalog
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Add me to the list of new users. I just scored a used waveform city and borg from the forum and have six more coming in the next month or two.
My setup will consist of:
2 waveform cities
2 Borgs
Sequantizer
Envelator
Mixolator
Classic Vco
Wogglebug
Just the waveform city and borg is enough to keep my tail wagging until I get more. What an amazing system so far.
chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

you've got a full synth system with those two - waveform city has

- oscillator
- envelopes
- VCA

so all you need for a "standard" synth is a filter. Which is the Borg. And then you also have an LPG and LFOs.

el clon
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it's true. they're such complex, dense modules i feel like a glutton for wanting more...

((==-- www.fallingrooms.com --==))

((==- www.theimplicateorder.com -==))
miditerranean
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

sensanalog wrote:
Add me to the list of new users. I just scored a used waveform city and borg from the forum and have six more coming in the next month or two.
My setup will consist of:
2 waveform cities
2 Borgs
Sequantizer
Envelator
Mixolator
Classic Vco
Wogglebug
Just the waveform city and borg is enough to keep my tail wagging until I get more. What an amazing system so far.

That brief moment I got to jam on your Waveform City / Borg was awesome! Hopefully some day I will have some 300 modules but seems way out of reach at the moment.
sensanalog
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The more I play with the waveform city and borg, the more I ready to be married. I just can't believe I will have two of each. w00t w00t
Those two alone are a wicked synth. Play with them anytime you would like Michael.
chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

just wait until the rest arrives smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 6

Jump to: