MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[PCBs!] Ryk John Miller's Liquid High Hat -- VC noise!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]

Would you like to purchase a panel for this project (what type if so?)
Yes -- Eurorack (one panel)
59%
 59%  [ 22 ]
Yes -- Eurorack (more than one panel)
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
Yes -- MU (one panel)
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Yes -- MU (more than one panel)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 37

Author [PCBs!] Ryk John Miller's Liquid High Hat -- VC noise!
hexinverter
PCBs are in stock! http://shop.hexinverter.net/product.php?id_product=21

Muff's Build Thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=877094#877094

!!!IMPORTANT!!! PLEASE NOTE!: On the board layout silk-screen/parts image, on board Rev.2, C2 is shown installed incorrectly. Please REVERSE the polarity of C2 from what is shown in the manual and diagrams as of 09/21/2011

If you have board Rev.3, you are fine and can ignore this!

Thanks to some members of the forum for pointing this out! This (or any) project would not be possible without the lovely community we have here.

When I fix this error in the manual and all of the documents, I will remove this message!

Old description:

Anyway, sometime last year, Ryk John Miller Thekreator had me create a circuit board for his lovely project: The Liquid High Hat.

We are on our second board run now, and I am set to order the board run in 4 or 5 days. The boards will be here a month from then.

I figured it necessary to post over here as well, in case people would like to get their name on the list for some boards!

For the sake of simplicity, I will not be maintaining this thread here at the level as the one on EM, because the one on EM is already quite mature (and contains everything you need to know)

Suffice to say that it is a pretty fun module. There are videos of it in the thread if you care to look through it. It is made from commonly available components and is capable of some really interesting sounds (not just high hats)

You can email me as well (or PM here) to get your name on the list for some boards! They sold out super fast last time so if you want to be guaranteed some you should let me know ahead of time.

Enough babbling! Get on over to the electro-music thread to find out more! smile

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46097
ringstone
I just watched Ryk's first demo video of this board, and I've got to say, it has to be the most awesome synth diy demo I've ever seen ("this mixer - what a piece of shit") lol I really have to track down his other vids...

Cheers
Blair
hexinverter
ringstone wrote:
I just watched Ryk's first demo video of this board, and I've got to say, it has to be the most awesome synth diy demo I've ever seen ("this mixer - what a piece of shit") lol I really have to track down his other vids...

Cheers
Blair

Haha! xD Yes! I LOVE Ryk's videos! Just click his Youtube user name for his channel where you can view more. He is a wonderful guy smile
falafelbiels
Yeah the guy earns TV show!
boothnavy
Guessing this works ok with +/-15v?
hexinverter
boothnavy wrote:
Guessing this works ok with +/-15v?

It should work just fine at either 12 or 15V!
hexinverter
falafelbiels wrote:
Yeah the guy earns TV show!

grin It's motherfucking bacon yo
boothnavy
Any chance you could post a picture of a completed module? It's always nice to see how things get laid out. Also to see all the parameters and I/O and how they can be arranged.

Put me down for 1 PCB, please.
hexinverter
boothnavy wrote:
Any chance you could post a picture of a completed module? It's always nice to see how things get laid out. Also to see all the parameters and I/O and how they can be arranged.

Put me down for 1 PCB, please.

Got ya down for one! smile

This is the basic version. The Bentley would mean you'd have a patch bay on top of all of these controls.

This is Mathias' build from over on EM. He still has not finished the actual front panel yet, I think. Everybody appears to have this one on their backlog razz

boothnavy
So this is a panel for one pcb? Lots of parameters there...
hexinverter
boothnavy wrote:
So this is a panel for one pcb? Lots of parameters there...

Yup! Lots of controls. Not all of them are needed, and that is mentioned in the manual, but Mathias (who is the first completed builder) mentioned that everything seems to have a useful effect on the sound. It is essentially the end all of hi-hat modules.

Like I said, this is the BASIC version. The "Bentley" (which is documented in the manual) requires a whole bunch more panel space for the patch-bay. Ryk built his Bentley into a large rack-mount case to fit it all in.

It's a pretty interesting module.
fluxmonkey
i had trouble finding the schematics for the stock build or the "bentley" mods... could you post direct links to those docs? thx!
hexinverter
Here's the assembly manual which documents the "Bentley" mods, attached to this post in .PDF form -- the schematics aren't in there yet, but you can find them from my portfolio site for now until I update the manual with them:

http://hexinverter.net/?projects=liquid-high-hat-v11

The schematics for both versions are the same. The Bentley mods just make use of the extra pads placed throughout the schematic as explained in the assembly guide. In essence, it is just taking all of the different pre-mixed signals and making the whole module patchable, instead of hard-wired, so there is really no need for an alternate schematic.
hexinverter
There is a package waiting for me at the post office smile I will be picking it up after my exam today...hopefully it's the boards! I can't think of anything else that it would be wink
decaying.sine
Hex,
Can I get two of the liquid hi-hat PCBs? Do you have any left?
hexinverter
Yup! Lots left smile The order just got here! Yay grin

Feel free to PayPal me with the payment info in the first post (which I have now edited in!)
ringstone
hexinverter wrote:

MAKE SURE to enter your electro-music Forums (or Deathlehem Machine) username in the "payment comments" or "message to recipient" box, so I know who is ordering the boards. I WILL NOT ACCEPT PAYMENTS WITHOUT THIS, SO PLEASE DO IT! (Sorry for caps, I just want to make sure that everyone reads this!)

Muff Wigglers username ok too?

Cheers
Blair

EDIT: BTW Do you reckon 14584 would be an ok substitution for 40106? I bought a pile of these NOS cheap on Ebay for this very sort of project hihi
hexinverter
ringstone wrote:
hexinverter wrote:

MAKE SURE to enter your electro-music Forums (or Deathlehem Machine) username in the "payment comments" or "message to recipient" box, so I know who is ordering the boards. I WILL NOT ACCEPT PAYMENTS WITHOUT THIS, SO PLEASE DO IT! (Sorry for caps, I just want to make sure that everyone reads this!)

Cheers
Blair

D'OH! I meant to edit that xD I just copy/pasted it from the e-music forums. Thanks for catching that wink

SIGH! Long day Dead Banana
hexinverter
ringstone wrote:
hexinverter wrote:

Cheers
Blair

EDIT: BTW Do you reckon 14584 would be an ok substitution for 40106? I bought a pile of these NOS cheap on Ebay for this very sort of project hihi

Hmm...looking at the 14584 datasheet for a moment, it looks okay! I have not worked with that chip before so cannot guarantee it, but it says it has a schmitt trigger, so it should work in theory!

Use sockets, and just swap it out if it doesn't!

Bananallama!
mamonu
ordered one w00t
decaying.sine
hexinverter wrote:
Yup! Lots left smile The order just got here! Yay grin

Feel free to PayPal me with the payment info in the first post (which I have now edited in!)

Boom. Cash for 4 sent!
boothnavy
payment sent.
brother303
Paid for one!

applause
hexinverter
Awesome!

To all of the people who have sent payments thus far: your orders will be shipping Tuesday morning! smile Unfortunately this Monday is a holiday (Thanksgiving) so postal service is not running.

Also, any orders received by Monday afternoon will be going out in this batch. I will post back here once they are shipped!
oberkorn
still boards left? i could use one
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 1 of 9