MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Blacet Frac Rack Dimensions Required
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Blacet Frac Rack Dimensions Required
Babaluma
does anyone have the blacet frac rack dimensions easily accessible?

i know it's 5.25" high, but what is the depth and width, with and without the PS500 strapped to the back?

alas the search is not working, i know this info is here somewhere, but can't find it here or on the blacet site either.

i need the info for a case i want made.

thanks in advance,

gregg
fracmonkey
19" wide, of course. Call it 7" deep and add 2.5" for the PS505.

Leave some venilation holes top and bottom in your box. There is a small amount of heat given off by mostly the PS.
solitaryzen
I'm also about to head down the custom case route - let me know how you go.
Babaluma
Thanks for the info fracmonkey!

Solitaryzen, it's just in the planning stages at the moment, but I will let the forum know as things progress.
BananaPlug
Depending on which modules you use you might be able to stick the PS505 inside the rack frame.
Babaluma
Thanks for the suggestion, that was my original plan, you have to use extra long screws right? But I've checked now, and unfortunately there is JUST not enough space for the PS500s. Hopefully with the case design, there will be space to mount the two power supplies on the bottom inside the case, while at the same time cutting down on the overall depth.
solitaryzen
Yeah, the PS500 does complicate things a bit when trying to minimise case depth/size. Just out of curiosity, how deep is the Wiard 311 controller? If I'm lucky enough to get hold of one of those, I was hoping to be able to mount the power supply behind it in a case somehow.
Cat-A-Tonic
solitaryzen wrote:
Yeah, the PS500 does complicate things a bit when trying to minimise case depth/size. Just out of curiosity, how deep is the Wiard 311 controller? If I'm lucky enough to get hold of one of those, I was hoping to be able to mount the power supply behind it in a case somehow.

That should work as long as the PSU lies flat on its back.
the Wiard 311 is uber shallow (like 1 or 2cm). 2U high.

In my portable 6U Frac cabinet I removed the PSU from its aluminum chassis and mounted it directly to the back board (with standoffs).
Aluminum doesn't help for shielding anyway.
This decreases size and makes it easier to get at the onboard power distribution points.

The Blacet PSU has a convenient star grounding point in the middle of the distro if you want to wire a ground lead for connection to other systems.

Exterior depth of the cabinet is 24cm.
Interior depth (behind rack) is about 20cm.
The rear board leaves space above and below for ventilation.
I remoted the power inlet to the side of the cabinet for easy access.
So instead of the power cable sticking out like this:

It is now like this:
Adam-V
That is a beautiful cabinet Cat-A-Tonic.

Cheers,
Adam-V
Cat-A-Tonic
Adam-V wrote:
That is a beautiful cabinet Cat-A-Tonic.

Cheers,
Adam-V

Thanks Adam,
It's Japanese Cypress (Hinoki)
as is the big unstained one below it.
solitaryzen
Yes, very nice cabinet indeed!
jamb
hey, i've got a blacet rack coming in the mail--my first modular system... i'm too excited to wait to find this out myself, but is it indeed possible to mount the ps505 inside the rack with long screws depending on which modules are being housed? i'm thinking it might fit behind my hex zone module... anyone know? Chugging Beers
alesauskas
That is indeed a nice cabinet Catatonic. Is it true one of those ears has a Miniwave in it? If so, any pics easily accessible? It's good inspiration for DIY in the future...
Kent
jamb wrote:
hey, i've got a blacet rack coming in the mail--my first modular system... i'm too excited to wait to find this out myself, but is it indeed possible to mount the ps505 inside the rack with long screws depending on which modules are being housed? i'm thinking it might fit behind my hex zone module... anyone know? Chugging Beers

If the PSU will fit, then it will fit. I managed to do so with a couple of my racks back in the day.
solitaryzen
jamb wrote:

That is exactly what I did with 2 of my rack cases - I have 4 Blacet PSUs mounted on the inside of racks (a bit tricky mounting them with longer screws, but certainly do-able). And yes, the Hex Zone is a perfect module to have on top of a PSU (there are a number of other frac modules that are also shallow enough). See the previous "road cases" post for further info.
Cat-A-Tonic
To echo others:
yes, Hex Zone is perfect for mounting in front of an interior-mounted Blacet PSU.
I have done exactly this.

alesauskas wrote:
That is indeed a nice cabinet Catatonic. Is it true one of those ears has a Miniwave in it? If so, any pics easily accessible? It's good inspiration for DIY in the future...

I can't find a close up of it at the moment,
but my Mini-Wave repanel is a single Frac space instead of the original double-wide.
It will not fit in a Frac-ear.
In the lower 2 ears of that 6U cab I've added a Blacet mixer,
and a switch expander for the Blacet I/O.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1