MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Most unique Blacet modules?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Most unique Blacet modules?
diophantine
Hey all, I'm actually in 5U/MU, not Frac, but don't hold that against me too much. hihi

The Blacet modules I've always found really interesting, and I've heard wonderful things about them. Though I probably have a few too many things already on my workbench, I'd love to build a few of them into MU format.

Specifically, I'm planning on doing the Scanner and MiniWave. The Scanner seems like a fairly simple module (at least for the panel - I'd probably move at least one of the trimpots to the panel too), and I've been wanting some sort of Scanner. And the MiniWave is, well, the MiniWave (I'd do that with the expander too).

(I'd like a Time Machine as well, but I'm a few years late on that one, sadly.)

But, what I'm really curious about, is what other Blacet modules would you recommend? Specifically, which ones do you find most unique, inspiring, and/or unavailable in other formats? (Obviously it would be a bit pointless to convert something like a Dual Linear VCA.)

Thanks!
phasebash
Super VCA, it has a continuously variable response from linear to log!
Cat-A-Tonic
Window Comparator.
Resetable VC ramp oscillator
VC Level, VC Width
So many applications. (trigger/gate tool, variable sync tool, pulse width distortion, ramp LFO)
There are other comparators out there, but not like this.

EG1.
Again, so many applications.
(VC AD/ADSR, VC Slew (source to sustain input), VC waveshaper (source to gate input), VC LFO)
VC timebase
Inverted output is properly offset (0 to +10v, not 0 to -10v)
Convenient output attenuator
Feedback to CV inputs through a bipolar attenuator gives variable shape between log - linear -exponential
modifiable for end of cycle pulse out

MU does have a similar module on the way though:
http://www.steamsynth.com/m_VCADSR.aspx
This is the only competition for the EG1 that I can see.
I don't know if it is capable of all the same tricks though.
Cat-A-Tonic
VCO.
VC Waveshape
VC +/- Octave
unique sound

Klangwerk.
unique ringmod with built in envelope follower.
It is modifiable for an additional Carrier Out.
This allows it to be used as a VCO with VC waveshaper.
VC waveshaper can also be used for processing external sources.

Micro LFO.
just a really full featured LFO
positive 0 to +10v triangle
inverted positive 0 to +10v triangle
reset
variable waveshapes via rate CV feedback (square normalled for this purpose).

Hex Zone.
programmable sequential switch

Improbability Drive.
unique window comparator derived digital noise.
VC filter
built in quantizer (chromatic, major, minor, diatonic)
modifiable for external input that makes the VC filter, S&H, and quantizer a lot more useful.

Filthy Filtre
no experience with this one, but
VC Mode seems pretty unique.

Bargraph.
unexpectedly, extremely useful.
Not having one is like a guitar without a tuner.
diophantine
Thanks guys!

That variable response on the Super VCA looks interesting (and definitely unique), but I'm wondering how useful the "in-between" settings are in practice?

The Window Comparator looks really cool; I hadn't looked at it much before, but now that I am taking a closer look, it seems like something totally up my alley.

Improbability Drive looks pretty cool, and the Klangwerk has me a bit confused. I'll have to read the manuals in the morning!

I think I've got most of the crucial functionality of the EG1 covered by my Oakley Looping VC-ADSR. The VCO, VCF, and LFO seem cool, but don't seem to provide a whole lot more over what I currently have - at least not enough to justify adding them at this stage (I've also got a lot of those types of modules already). Hex Zone would be a pain to port, I suspect. I guess I am looking for modules that are a bit more "out there".

How's the Binary Zone? Is it pretty unique, or are there other things out there that do similar stuff? I just read it and it went over my head... I think that means it is bed-time.
Cybananna
I love the Improbability drive. nothing else like it that i've seen. I just got my third one.

Klangwerk is a really cool ringmod. There's plenty of ringmods in various formats but Klangwerk very cool.

window comparator is great too and cheap.
Cat-A-Tonic
Binary Zone is great for instant sequencing fun.
It can be used as a suboctave mixer as well.
Clock input works on anything you throw at it.

It is possible to patch up a similar system with pulse dividers, a bipolar mixer a slew, and an inverter.
slow_riot
before i got into blacet i couldn't see anything unique about his modules, but the more i get the more i appreciate their simple subtleties. he is a very very talented designer imo.
BananaPlug
The VCO is great. One of the best. Sounds great and has some unique features. A little lacking in freq CV inputs but that can be overcome.

Binary Zone is a really interesting way to generate sequences. If you combine it with some external logic to do something like only play every third note that comes out of it the patterns go for a very long time before repeating. Doubles as a convenient clock source or gate to trigger converter. Yeah, suboctaves and binary division too.

Improbability drive is a comprehensive noise source and with some mods becomes a real multi-tool. Goes way beyond most noise sources.

Time Machines turn up on the used market now and then. I think it takes some time to warm up to any BBD module. They all have different strengths and weaknesses and preconceived notions get in the way. I was disappointed with the TM at first but became a fan after a while. The WAD and the TM are interesting to compare; both BBD but totally different. The designers must have had very different goals and preferences.

All of the above are not very hard to convert to banana plugs if that appeals to you.
e-grad
slow_riot wrote:
he is a very very talented designer imo.

So true!
tIB
never found anything else like the hex zone tbh... brilliant!
diophantine
Read up a bit on the binary Zone - seems to have a lot in common with the CGS Suboctave Divider (though they certainly have their differences). Both are quite appealing to me.

I'll try and check out some of the VCO samples, since it has a couple of recommendations so far... but with a bunch of Q106s, a Buchla 258 on the bench, and both a Double Dekka and a Zeroscillator on the way, I am feeling pretty good in the oscillator department.

Both the Klangwerk and Improbability Drive look interesting, though I think most features can be achieved with other modules I have. (The quantized noise output on the ID looks nice, though.)

On the Bar Graph, I am actually planning on doing my own dual bar-graph module from scratch.

I think I'll go for the Scanner, MiniWave, Binary Zone, and Window Comparator, to start with.

Thanks for all the suggestions and descriptions!!
rezzn8r
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Binary Zone is great for instant sequencing fun.
It can be used as a suboctave mixer as well.
Clock input works on anything you throw at it.

It is possible to patch up a similar system with pulse dividers, a bipolar mixer a slew, and an inverter.

what he said
The Binary Zone is a beautiful thing
The Miniwave is pretty fucking awsome, too SlayerBadger!
cerebrosis
ID, MW, BZ - everything that has been said. I love these modules. The window comp seems great and i have one waiting to be built along with a m/p and a dlvca when time permits.

You can still get the time machine pcb! It seems to be a popular 5U build. http://www.blacet.com/DIY.html
cerebrosis
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

Klangwerk.
unique ringmod with built in envelope follower.
It is modifiable for an additional Carrier Out.
This allows it to be used as a VCO with VC waveshaper.

VC waveshaper can also be used for processing external sources.

Where on the pcb is this? Thanks.
e-grad
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12427&highlight=klan gwerk+mod
cerebrosis
cookie?!?
SMS303
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
EG1.
Again, so many applications.
(VC AD/ADSR, VC Slew (source to sustain input), VC waveshaper (source to gate input), VC LFO)
VC timebase
Inverted output is properly offset (0 to +10v, not 0 to -10v)
Convenient output attenuator
Feedback to CV inputs through a bipolar attenuator gives variable shape between log - linear -exponential
modifiable for end of cycle pulse out

Many thanks for sharing this info thumbs up
Really didn't know this all is possible with an EG1... woah
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1