MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

does a manual exist for the piston honda?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author does a manual exist for the piston honda?
brenne
just got one of these. various youtube videos explain the functions well enough, but I'd still really like a manual. the harvestman website says 'coming soon', and I couldn't find anything else about it on here so I thought I'd ask.
nrdvrgr
'Coming soon' is a relative concept. smile
Matos
Yeah, the video is as close as it gets. Taught me all that I know although a manual as in depth as Tony from make noise would be great..
phase ghost
The deepelement video is probably the best for learning the functions. There's not too much to figure out to be honest. Watch his video and you'll know everything you need to know.
Protofrangiste
Here is what I have gathered on my computer... (mainly from Muffwiggler)
Sorry I don't have the credits...

Enjoy!

Quote:
Waveforms can be scanned manually and also with CV.
Rom A – Noisy Waveforms
Rom B – Additive Waveforms
Rom C – Classic Waveforms
Rom D – Bosch Gardens
Morph Discontinuity determines length of transition.
Higher value knob settings on the the morph discontinuity cause sharper transitions.
Lower values cause the transitions to be smoothed.
Holding the Wave Discontinuity button (lights on) smooths out digital artifacts.
External signals can be processed.
In this mode the frequency knob acts as a pseudo volume/gain control.
Rom Select can be selected manually or with gates.
Hard Sync and FM are both achievable by sending audio rate (Hard Sync) or LFO (Hard Sync and FM) signal to the Frequency jacks.

Max current draw is in the neighborhood of 120 like the Donut.

The decimal points on each of the number displays represents whether interpolation is turned on for each of the axes (named HITHER and YON). On powerup, interpolation is disabled for HITHER and enabled for YON. To toggle through them, press the top left button. Hold this button down for two seconds to light the two orange LEDs. When they are lit, waveform smoothing is enabled. It works best on waveforms with gentle slopes like sines, and can greatly decrease quantization noise if that's your preference.

The MORPH DISCONTINUITY control adjusts how "stepped" the interpolation is when enabled. At full CCW it is as smooth as possible, at full CW it's like the interpolation is disabled. Somewhere inbetween, with 4-16 steps between each stored waveform, you can nail the Konami SCC sound pretty well if you use this effect with the noisy waves in the neighborhood of ROM: A HITHER: 0-3 YON: 8-F.

Press the TABLE ADDRESSING button to toggle between the internal oscillator and the external input. The external input expects a +/-5V signal for "normal" waveshaping operation, but you can send it whatever you like such as drum loops and wolfman tape. When the external input is active, the main frequency control (and CV input) on the Piston Honda instead act as a gain control for voltage-controlled waveshaping depth. Use ROM: A HITHER: D-F for a variety of transfer functions designed for the external input (you can morph these, too!)

The ROM SELECT button toggles between the A ROM (harsh) and B ROM (additive). A logic HIGH applied to the nearby GATE input will toggle the selection.

If you have a ROM expander board installed, you can hold down the ROM SELECT button for 2 seconds and the display will change. Use the HITHER knob to select the ROM chip to be selected for the A slot (what gets selected by the button and gate input), and the YON knob to select the chip for the B slot. You can select chips named A-H in this mode, A and B are the factory waveforms and the remaining six represent the sockets on the expander board. Release the select button to return to normal operation.

The expander board is getting built while I am in chicago - release in a few weeks. Should cost around what a Sound of Thunder does.

Just like the donut, keep your CVs for the three main inputs within 0-5V range for best results , you can police your voltage levels by using the provided offset controls (big knob) and attenuators (little knob).

The interpolation that causes the two orange LEDs to light (by holding down the button) is the waveform smoothing. For the smooth morphing on Hither or Yon, tap that button (dont hold it) until the decimal point lights on the display for the dimension you'd like to be smooth. The Piston boots up with morphing enabled on Yon and disabled on Hither and you can have all four combinations of either, none, or both.

The PH CV inputs (for discon, hither, and yon) expect a CV input of 0-5V (which is the sum of the big offset knob which can generate 0-5 by itself, and the CV input). Anything outside this range may cause behavior like what you'd describe. So, for a +/-10V CV input range, you'd turn the big knob to 12 o'clock and then bring the little attenuator knob up until it's hitting the range you'd like. Takes a bit of practice, but it might make more sense once I release my own control generator designs.
hednoize
Protofrangiste wrote:
Here is what I have gathered on my computer... (mainly from Muffwiggler)
Sorry I don't have the credits...

Enjoy!

Now that is what I've been looking for. As helpful as the deepelement vid was, there were sti a couple undefined bits. Many thanks for the diagram!
brenne
thank you very much for the diagram!
Spir4L
Really useful! Thank's =)
Btw thedeepelement video()
is better than any manual!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1