MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Blacet and MOTM 5U "Friendliness"
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Blacet and MOTM 5U "Friendliness"
phasebash
Hey dudes.

I'm planning on building up a DIY Blacet and MOTM 5U setup in 19" rack cabinets in addition to possibly 3U of Euro (for the ES-3 and other oddities) and was wondering how well Blacet modules play with MOTM 5U modules.

More specifically, Blacet envelopes and unipolar LFOs are 10V PTP from 0 to 10V, the Blacet VCAs also expect this range. What is the expected range of MOTM 5U VCAs. Beyond this, is there anything I should be looking out for? I'm happy that Blacet and MOTM power connectors are identical.

I pretty much want to DIY this entire rig, and until panels and PCBs are available for all MOTM modules in Frac, I'll be building them in 5U. I don't mind using adapters.
rezzn8r
phasebash wrote:
Hey dudes.

More specifically, Blacet envelopes and unipolar LFOs are 10V PTP from 0 to 10V, the Blacet VCAs also expect this range. What is the expected range of MOTM 5U VCAs. Beyond this, is there.

A meter and some attenuators will help you with your ranges. I would suggest the Blacet Mixer/Processor and the Blacet Bar Graph.
thumbs up
These are extremely useful tools even when not mixing formats.
Cat-A-Tonic
rezzn8r wrote:
phasebash wrote:
Hey dudes.

More specifically, Blacet envelopes and unipolar LFOs are 10V PTP from 0 to 10V, the Blacet VCAs also expect this range. What is the expected range of MOTM 5U VCAs. Beyond this, is there.

A meter and some attenuators will help you with your ranges. I would suggest the Blacet Mixer/Processor and the Blacet Bar Graph.
thumbs up
These are extremely useful tools even when not mixing formats.

I agree!
There are instructions in the Blacet manuals detailing which resistor values need to be changed for 5v operation.

Personally I'm of the opinion that excess voltage is better than not enough voltage.
You can always attenuate, and you can use the extra voltage for overdrive effects.

Since you mentioned Euro:
Malekko/Wiard Envelator also puts out ~10v, but its -out goes to negative voltages.
The Blacet Micro LFO and EG1 -outs are offset above 0.
Which one is desired depends on whether you are usually modulating VCAs or filters/VCOs/etcetera.
I like both.

They all play pretty nicely together,
but even within a single format it really helps to have a bipolar attenuator, a bipolar offset control, some gain, and a bargraph (or other voltage meter).
phasebash
Good point smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1