MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

audio from a computer to clock or sync a HEX
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author audio from a computer to clock or sync a HEX
cavage
hello

i am trying to send audio from my cubase to sync the hex ( i am in new home and didnt moove all my hardware ) so it leads me to things i dont really get ...

cant i "emulate" ( ?!) a clock from audio ?? and how to set a sound or choose a sample that will perfectly fit ??

when i try to send audio to the clock nothing happens ( snare or very percussive sound rigth ? )
when i send it either to the RST input or gate input of the hex i get some kind of sync but loose it very fast or jumps anarchically from step to step .. altrougth in kind of sync because it keeps the groove, quite funky, but i want to have to work nice and then screw it ... well i want to understand it grrrr

please help i cant wait tomorow to get it smile

what is the swiss army knife audio trick to talk with my hex ??? is there one ?
argh
Kent
There are a lot of variables in your system that I don't think anyone would be able to know about in advance with certainty.

I've managed to get my Model 28 Tap Clock to sync up to a snare & HH from a Korg EMX-1. It took a while to get everything dialed in just right and that included getting the levels exactly right.

Hopefully, your audio interface can output levels that would work with the Hex. I don't know what the Hex's tolerance window would be for clock.
Cat-A-Tonic
If you've got a Window Comparator it should square up whatever signal you send it to generate pulses/gates/triggers.
That should allow you to dial in a nice clock signal.

I usually clock my HexZone from the BinaryZone (because it has the dedicated knob for clock rate).

I suppose if you could find a click sound (in your percussion arsenal) with a trigger-like width then you could offset the voltage to DC to get a clock.
The Mixer Processor is helpful for such tasks, especially with its isolated channel D.
nathankirchner
To clock the HZ:
--> you need a 5V signal (0-5V)
--> the signal must be at least 1ms high
--> You must have at least 1ms of low after each high.
--> You need 1 high pulse per step

As for driving the clock with audio - seems possible. A click needs to be ~6ms+ for you to be able to hear it. SO any click that you can hear is good. You want something sharp and snappy - use gain, make it as square as possible. If you are using an audio output it will most likely need to be turn up loud!

Good luck.
nathankirchner
p.s. there is no reverse polarity protection on the GATE input. If you put a large negative voltage on it you will kill the buffer.
cavage
thanks for reply guys

regarding audio from my computer ( out from a firebox presonus ), do i have to care about negative voltage ??? is this of concern with audio ??

and, what is the symptom of a dead buffer ??

for curiosity as i now bring back my drumboxes from last home but i would love to understand the thing ...

i made several try yestaerday nigth, and never got the sync to be 'stable' , however, it doeas some very very very funky fat grooves loosing the sync sometimes or cancelling some steps ramdomly (?) but in ( kind of ) sync ... smile

one question then , what you guys use as the ultimate sync box ?? i guess i need a midiverter wich will solve almost all problems like that but is there in the shops a midi/cv converter that has 'all' formats cv/gate/trigger/din sync etc ??? like a kenton or whatever ?
a swiss army knife, if possible, stand alone as room is a huge concern now in the cabinet smile
nathankirchner
cavage wrote:
do i have to care about negative voltage ??? is this of concern with audio ??

and, what is the symptom of a dead buffer ??

I am talking about an electrical buffer - namely an op-amp. The op-amp acts as a 'buffer' in that it makes the input a high/low detector (rather than using the input as part of the circuit by sink or sourcing current to/from it). The op-amp also limits that voltage that will pass into the HZ. 5V on the input and 5V in the HZ, 6V on the input and 5V in the HZ, 7V on the input and 5V in the HZ, etc.

The symptom of a dead buffer is that the input will no longer work and you will have to replace the op-amp (buffer) $1-2USD.

With out knowing your pk-pk voltage and rms of the audio I can't tell you if you should worry about negative voltage from your audio.

Put it like this: There is a 10-20% chance you will kill the buffer and you will have to get a replacement op-amp. This will cost you at least a week of down time. If the risk worth the reward?
Cat-A-Tonic
Thanks Nathan,
It is comforting to know that if a opamp/buffer is ever killed that it will be a cheap and easy fix.

I have gated the HexZone with microphones before.
It works great.
I reckon it would be pretty fun to step (gate) the HexZone with a piezo trigger from an acoustic drum.

Somehow I just can't shut-up about the WC.
It fracin rules, and is underappreciated.
AND it can be had for under $100 as a kit!
The Blacet Window Comparator is IMO the ultimate 'swiss army' audio>cv sync box.
- it'll help sync your oscillators (especially the Blacet VCOs as they're picky about syncing to other square wave oscillators),
- it'll spice up your sequences as a clock conditioner (from audio or sample & hold),
- or as a manual/VC variable gate generator,
- the Ramp LFO/audio oscillator can be patched out separately (as a Saw if you have an inverter),
- it can process audio signals to get nintendo-style fuzz, or even digital noise (think bit-crusheresque)

You'll probably think of other uses for it that I haven't.
It is a must have helper/utility module.
I use it in the majority of my patches.
Buy one if you know what's good for you muffer fracers.
DGTom
Do you have an LFO with a square out? Is there a module in your system that will clock / drive the Hex?

My advice is to start with something that works. LFO, Binary Zone, Window Comparator. Get the Hex clocking by that source, then record the clock source to the computer, nice & slow when you record, makes it easier to chop. Slice a piece of the signal out, load into a nice clean soft sampler, program your clocks, done.

Always apply the K.I.S.S principal grin

Don't emulate a clock in the computer, capture one & reproduce it, that IMO is what computers are best for.

+1 on the Window Comparator if you don't already have one, awesome module, but not 100% needed to do what you wanna do here.
Oresund
a dedicated comparator for this would be great....
i typically send the MS20's ESP a dedicated output from my machine drum to derive triggers with- this way i can program what ever divisions/patterns i want SlayerBadger!
cavage
DGTom wrote:
Do you have an LFO with a square out? Is there a module in your system that will clock / drive the Hex?

My advice is to start with something that works. LFO, Binary Zone, Window Comparator. Get the Hex clocking by that source, then record the clock source to the computer, nice & slow when you record, makes it easier to chop. Slice a piece of the signal out, load into a nice clean soft sampler, program your clocks, done.

Don't emulate a clock in the computer, capture one & reproduce it, that IMO is what computers are best for.

+1 on the Window Comparator if you don't already have one, awesome module, but not 100% needed to do what you wanna do here.

may i sound ignorant but,
how do you capture ( ie sample ?) a clock into a computer, say, like in cubase but i guess no matter the audio software??)
Cat-A-Tonic
cavage wrote:
DGTom wrote:

may i sound ignorant but,
how do you capture ( ie sample ?) a clock into a computer, say, like in cubase but i guess no matter the audio software??)

Just record the pulses/clicks/triggers with your software the same way that you would record audio.
Remember, a VCO with PulseWidthModulation can be a clock source.
cavage
ok
so simple then

volume is a concern i gues ?

may i add for coprenhension, why this almost exact way of using any drummachine to send a short percussive sound didnt work or worked so strange crazy manner ?
Cat-A-Tonic
Yeah, you almost certainly have to amplify that pulse (or short percussive click)
with something like the Blacet I/O.
The Klangwerk, and Channel D of the VCA Quad Mix also have a fair amount of gain to boost your signal.

If you are still having problems conditioning your pulse/sound for use as a clock/trigger...
then you ought to try the Window Comparator.
It should square up your drum machine nicely.
Hell, it'll square anything up for sync.; even a guitar. thumbs up
panda30y
I started up a thread a few months ago in the computer music forum with the same question, but not to the Hex specifically. I don't remember if the answerer were exactly the same, but I ended up figuring it out by tinkering with different sounds and even different pitches or notes. Also, I had to crank the volume to it's max on both Logic Studio and my interface, but this may not be true for the hex zone.
LetterBeacon
This post on Electro-Music address the same problem. You can even download the pulses that he used.

I'll be interested to see how you get on as I will be in the same boat soon.
cavage
just gonna check this rigth on
thx
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1