MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I wish it were mine...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author I wish it were mine...
BugBrand
I've been putting a small vid-synth system together recently - received a lovely batch of modules from Lars at the end of last week (they really are fantastic quality - big props to Lars!)

The initial desire is for vector rescanning investigations - very easy to set up on an o'scope following Lars' instructions. And the results are great fun (though I've totally failed to get any decent documentation pics or vids due to my poor equipment).

I don't have anything to try out the Video Encoder unfortunately.

The bummer? - the system is not for me and will shortly be leaving my workshop. But it shall be going on tour with a very wonderful band - US and then Australian tour - famous Bristol band?! Guess who!

bitSmasher
Australia eh, interesting...
jenamu6
Massive attack? (or wasn't I suppose to guess)
bitSmasher
Oh, so very close... Portishead are touring Aus soon applause
tIB
jeremy smoking jacket? MY ASS IS BLEEDING
BugBrand
jenamu6 wrote:
Massive attack? (or wasn't I suppose to guess)

No, the other one! The much less disfunctional one!
I've got a lot of respect for Portishead, despite not really knowing much of their music. Geoff Barrow is a total dude and is very much buzzed by music still (especially local music).

bitSmasher wrote:
Oh, so very close... Portishead are touring Aus soon :yay:

Yep - dunno why the dates aren't on their site but here they are:
Quote:
Australian Tour dates

Thursday 10th November
Vector Arena, Auckland

Tuesdays 15th November
plus special guests MERCURY REV
Belvoir Theatre, Perth

Thursday 17th November
plus special guests MERCURY REV
Thebarton Theatre, Adelaide

Harvest Festival Dates

Saturday 12th November
Harvest Presents “The Gathering”, Melbourne, Werribee Park

Sunday 13th November
Harvest – A Civilised Gathering, Sydney, Parramatta Park

Saturday 19th November
Harvest – A Civilised Gathering, Brisbane, Botanical Gardens

tIB wrote:
jeremy smoking jacket? :omg:

Wow - do you know them? I haven't seen Rose for ages, but I see Sam regularly - lovely guy and his performances are always total amazement.
MrDys
I want that ramps module...
tIB
BugBrand wrote:

tIB wrote:
jeremy smoking jacket? MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Wow - do you know them? I haven't seen Rose for ages, but I see Sam regularly - lovely guy and his performances are always total amazement.

i dont know them personally, i remember them for a couple of tracks that i used to have on loop for a spell: bought home cold was one of them, amazing track. seems rose has gone a bit druid: http://rosekemp.info/
ill have to look into what sj is up to...

EDIT: in true small world brizzle fashion my friend who got me started on the electronic stuff used to do adrian utleys gardening. lol
nickciontea
FUCK YES>. can't wait to see them in CHicago. hopefully i can decipher what they be doing with that synth..

but c'mon.. they coulda just asked me to go on tour
visible cow
Oh man, I love Portishead! Any idea how they plan on incorporating the video modules with their show?
BugBrand
Well.. it remains to be seen because they are flying off on tour so soon and their visual guy, John Minton, has never used such a synth before - brief teaching lesson on Friday before they all depart! (and it is not like I know very much either!)

Basically, he's already put together a very unique working setup for recent shows - both he and the band like quite quirky & analogue approaches, so he's got several old video monitors which he feeds things to and then messes with and re-films before the main projection.

[I did a very strange (wrong-tech) video box for him a few years back which he's certainly used for pre-processing some of the live projection recordings - I don't think he actually uses that one live now - the reason I suggested going to LZX was that I simply didn't have time to investigate any further video boxes for him]

The preliminary desire is vector-rescanning (ie. displaying on an oscilloscope) of a live feed - similar to this vid for Lars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uA75dw9BJQ - possibly with automation using an external audio feed via the Doepfer EnvFollower. I think this is probably the limit for the moment, but there will be further development and module additions further down the line.

How cool is it that someone dares to take such a setup (with analogue oscilloscope) on a large scale tour?!
futuresoundsystems
That's awesome! Saw their show at Benicassim and wondered what they'd do with some video synth stuff actually, so this is great news It's peanut butter jelly time!
LEVLHED
(I wish it were me......) smile

http://www.stereogum.com/832842/portishead-do-jimmy-fallon/video/
bitSmasher
First it was Bleep Labs, now LZX... go Team Austin!

http://bleeplabs.com/2011/09/15/neon-indian-and-pal198x-on-jimmy-fallo n/

Really want to check them out next month, would spend the whole show drooling at projections.
bitSmasher
Yep, spent the whole show drooling over the visuals. Totally amazing.
I recorded most of the set, will edit and stabilize the videos before uploading them in full, but for now here's a snippet of raw footage.

Video = we're not worthy
snufkin
MY ASS IS BLEEDING
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1