Cheap-ass amp for modular and Metasonix TM / TX pedals

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Cheap-ass amp for modular and Metasonix TM / TX pedals

Post by Cybananna » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:47 pm

I'm looking for a small cheap amp to use for my modular and / or guitar through my Metasonix pedals. - Line level amp!

I want small and cheap because I want something easy to lug around to friends houses to just fool around. The stuff I usually use at home isn't so portable and live I plug in direct, so I really don't use amps.

Looks like the synth and TM / TX's will need line level input so I've been looking at the Roland, Crate, and Behringer keyboard amps. Remember, I don't care if it's shitty, in this case, it doesn't have to sound great. I just want portable and loud enough to play in a house with a drummer.

Anyone have any thoughts on these amps? What's the minimum speaker / watts that I should be looking at? Remember, cheap! because I will only be using it every once in a while. Looks like I can get a 10" or 12" speaker, 40-65 watt for a few hundred $.

thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Post by thermionicjunky » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:57 pm

Try the Moog Theremin Amp. It should be just around $100. I think it's 15 watts. The speaker is not large, but the bass response is not bad.

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:04 pm

thermionicjunky wrote:Try the Moog Theremin Amp. It should be just around $100. I think it's 15 watts. The speaker is not large, but the bass response is not bad.
Are you sure 15 watts is going to be enough power if he's playing with a drummer? Unless, amplifying any bass is not a concern.
Heavy Lids

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:05 pm

Hey, that's a great idea, it will be loud enough?

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:06 pm

:lol: great minds think alike!

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:10 pm

Sure, I want all the bass response I can get, but for this, it's not essential or critical. Were just old friends who want to screw around occasionally.

The theremin amp sounds perfect *if* I can hear myself over everything. Could be playing with drummer, could be bass player, could be bass, guitar, and drums who knows, depends on who shows up. :goo: (shit!, had to use this just because i've never seen it before)

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:37 pm

Well, if your drummer is not a pounder, that theremin amp should do. I'm speaking from experience of playing bass guitar in rock/metal bands. All of the drummers I've played with are so fucking loud, 100 watts would be the bare minimum to hear myself over their kit.
Heavy Lids

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:41 pm

I'll have to find out. It's been a long time since I played with him. I'll have to ask the other guys (guitars and basses) how much they use.

thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Post by thermionicjunky » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:47 am

You'll probably have problems with the Moog when the other guys are playing loudly. There's the Roland KC-60, 40 watt for around $250.

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:18 am

I've been looking at the KC60 and a used KC 150 would be around $250 too if I found one.

I was also recommended a Roland CM30 which I'm looking into also. 30 watt but 6.5" speaker??

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:53 pm

Well, based on customer reviews of the CM30, you'll be just fine if you mount that on a something to bring it to ear level. 6.5" is tiny for a speaker that needs to handle the full frequency spectrum at an amplified level loud enough to hear over an acoustic drum kit, which synthesizers(and of course modulars) cover.

I'm just saying, unless your drummer is a soft tapping jazz style drummer, your going to need a loud amp to hear yourself. Jamming with a guitar or bass player is fine though since they can just turn their amp down low enough for the both of you to hear your instruments equally.

Maybe take your system or a portion of your system to a used gear store and hook it into some amps to try out. You may even be able to take an amp your interested in into the drum room and test it there while someone is playing the drums.
Heavy Lids

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”